Democrats & Unions & Corruption

Could this be a Government monopoly over union members in the making or perhaps it is already... mmm

----------------------------:eusa_whistle:

For the first time in American history, a majority of union members are government workers rather than private-sector employees, the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced on Friday.

In its annual report on union membership, the bureau undercut the longstanding notion that union members are overwhelmingly blue-collar factory workers. It found that membership fell so fast in the private sector in 2009 that the 7.9 million unionized public-sector workers easily outnumbered those in the private sector, where labor’s ranks shrank to 7.4 million, from 8.2 million in 2008.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/23/business/23labor.html?_r=1

----------------------------:eusa_think:

:dig:

Last edited:
Could this be a Government monopoly over union members in the making or perhaps it is already... mmm

For the first time in American history, a majority of union members are government workers rather than private-sector employees, the Bureau of Labor Statistics announced on Friday.

In its annual report on union membership, the bureau undercut the longstanding notion that union members are overwhelmingly blue-collar factory workers. It found that membership fell so fast in the private sector in 2009 that the 7.9 million unionized public-sector workers easily outnumbered those in the private sector, where labor’s ranks shrank to 7.4 million, from 8.2 million in 2008.

I'm not sure I get your point.
Are you saying that it's an evil plan of unions to take over the government, and you use the dropping numbers of union labor in the private sector as evidence?

Are you saying that it's an evil plan of unions to take over the government, and you use the dropping numbers of union labor in the private sector as evidence?

just 4 to start off with.. I admit I'm a novice on this subject

1)A cozy relationship between Democrats, government and unions presents opportunities for payoffs, corruption and policies unfair to the normal taxpayer.

2) The idea that unions represent the normal blue collar worker is becoming a myth.

3) The Democrats have an unfair advantage in coerced manpower for elections.

4) As union membership grows through government policies, the less influence the average non-union worker has. A government (Democrat) monopoly over the work force.

1)A cozy relationship between Democrats, government and unions presents opportunities for payoffs, corruption and policies unfair to the normal taxpayer.
This is true, to an extent. I wouldn't say it's any more "unfair" to the normal taxpayer as anything else the government does, like funneling billions into farmer's subsidies for "ethanol" and tobacco, or awarding no-bid contracts to companies that spend billions lobbying. The system is corrupt, through and through. I think the unions are the least of our worries.

2) The idea that unions represent the normal blue collar worker is becoming a myth.
This is only partially true. As noted in your link, public sector unions outweigh private sector unions, for the first time. This is less because the public sector is growing, and more because the private sector unions are shrinking. The shrinking of private sector unions is something that I'm afraid of - This might seem like a shocking statement, but I'm very much in favor of the status quo. As long as giant corporations and management have the lobbying power of billions of dollars to work with, I think that labor and unions should have the same power.

What do you mean by "coerced manpower"? Do you mean campaign volunteers? Votes?
Why would you assume that unions "coerce" their members to vote a certain way? If Democrats support labor, and Republicans don't, wouldn't it be in the best interests of union members to vote Dem? Where is the "coercion"?
4) As union membership grows through government policies, the less influence the average non-union worker has. A government (Democrat) monopoly over the work force.
What government policies are increasing union membership? Your own link shows a significant drop in union membership.

This is true, to an extent. I wouldn't say it's any more "unfair" to the normal taxpayer as anything else the government does, like funneling billions into farmer's subsidies for "ethanol" and tobacco, or awarding no-bid contracts to companies that spend billions lobbying. The system is corrupt, through and through. I think the unions are the least of our worries.

This is only partially true. As noted in your link, public sector unions outweigh private sector unions, for the first time. This is less because the public sector is growing, and more because the private sector unions are shrinking. The shrinking of private sector unions is something that I'm afraid of - This might seem like a shocking statement, but I'm very much in favor of the status quo. As long as giant corporations and management have the lobbying power of billions of dollars to work with, I think that labor and unions should have the same power.

What do you mean by "coerced manpower"? Do you mean campaign volunteers? Votes?
Why would you assume that unions "coerce" their members to vote a certain way? If Democrats support labor, and Republicans don't, wouldn't it be in the best interests of union members to vote Dem? Where is the "coercion"?
What government policies are increasing union membership? Your own link shows a significant drop in union membership.

You are a smart fellow and I've learned a lot, glad your a friend..

I need to do some studying up on this issue and be better prepared the next time around.. thanks..

Forum List

Back