Democrats: the more people know about government run healthcare, the less they like

He reiterated his support for allowing people to keep the plans they get through their jobs if they want, but also to offer the new public health insurance plan to compete against private insurers. "This will give them a better range of choices, make the health care market more competitive, and keep insurance companies honest," Obama wrote.

Obama urges Kennedy, Baucus to press ahead on healthcare - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is leaving the door open to taxing health care benefits, something he campaigned hard against while running for president, according to senators who met with him Tuesday.

The Associated Press: Obama said to be open to taxing health benefits

So let me see if I can understand this correctly, we have a record deficit, a massive debt, growing unemployment, large compaines going backrupt, and along with the so called stimulus package that has created to my knowlegde at least a few jobs for the mice that are being studied in California. We are now proposing healthcare for all and not only that we will pay for it by taxing everyone? and forcing them to have healthcare if they want it or not? Further, what private enterprise wants to compete with the very entity that regulates it? Eventually the only game in town will be the Federal Govt. as private insurers will not wish to compete with Fed. The fact is that the Federal Govt. has a dismal record on healthcare and the VA should be a good indication of that. While it's a noble thing to want the Govt. to provide healthcare for all, there are simply people out there that do not want healthcare coverage. Here is a novel idea, how about paying down the debt and putting the economy back on it's feet and letting Americans make their own healthcare choices there's a novel idea. If the Govt. really wanted to be in the business of helping the American public with reforming an industry, they would regulate as they are entitlied to do under the commerce clause and perhaps more companies would want to get into the healthcare insurance business. There are many solutions other than a draconian edict from on high that demands everyone has healthcare.

Could not have said it better myself, Navy...

You are indeed a voice of reason on this and see the issues very clearly on why many of us are very concerned about this nonsense

Are you kidding me, all this talk about how well the Govt. runs things, obviously none of the people doing the talking have ever had any treatments at a VA hospital or for that matter ever taken Amtrak just to name a few. The number of Govt. run programs that have failed or cost 10 times more than the private sector are staggering.

VA Hospital Problems to be Examined by Congressional Panel - AboutLawsuits.com
A congressional panel will look into the recent problems at VA Hospitals that occurred in at least three states, where thousands of veterans were potentially exposed to HIV, Hepatitis C and other diseases caused by unsterilized equipment.

The U.S. House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs oversight and investigations subcommittee scheduled a hearing for June 16, 2009, to inquire about the issues that resulted in letters being sent to10,555 former VA hospital patients recommending that they obtain blood tests because they were treated with equipment that was not properly cleaned between patients.

The VA is a good example of a Govt. run healthcare system and what not to do with one. There you have patients waiting forever for treatment and medications, being misdiagnosed time after time.

Want a really good example, of how the Govt. spends you money wisely, as I won't post it hear but it is easily searchable. Take a good long look at how long and how much the Govt. has spent on trying to replace the US Air Force Tanker and still not a single new aircraft is in service after billions of dollars have been spent. Yes there are a lot of people employed in DC working on this , pushing paper from one cubicle to another and it's a classic case of over tasking a mission. Which the US Govt. has made a science out of.

Are you kidding me, all this talk about how well the Govt. runs things, obviously none of the people doing the talking have ever had any treatments at a VA hospital or for that matter ever taken Amtrak just to name a few. The number of Govt. run programs that have failed or cost 10 times more than the private sector are staggering.

A congressional panel will look into the recent problems at VA Hospitals that occurred in at least three states, where thousands of veterans were potentially exposed to HIV, Hepatitis C and other diseases caused by unsterilized equipment.

The U.S. House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs oversight and investigations subcommittee scheduled a hearing for June 16, 2009, to inquire about the issues that resulted in letters being sent to10,555 former VA hospital patients recommending that they obtain blood tests because they were treated with equipment that was not properly cleaned between patients.

The VA is a good example of a Govt. run healthcare system and what not to do with one. There you have patients waiting forever for treatment and medications, being misdiagnosed time after time.

Want a really good example, of how the Govt. spends you money wisely, as I won't post it hear but it is easily searchable. Take a good long look at how long and how much the Govt. has spent on trying to replace the US Air Force Tanker and still not a single new aircraft is in service after billions of dollars have been spent. Yes there are a lot of people employed in DC working on this , pushing paper from one cubicle to another and it's a classic case of over tasking a mission. Which the US Govt. has made a science out of.

Navy Navy Navy! we digress.. the very people in here now lauding the ability of the government to run things,, were bitching a blue streak just months ago.. and,, they've managed to double the deficit.. now see? don't wade in too deep,, they'll pull you under! Remember how miserable the care was the vets got??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

the government can't do anything less expensively than the private sector why would health care be any different?

Medicare...administrative cost..3%

You are a neo con tool.

3% administrative cost, and still they have all sorts of finacial woes...care to comment?

The trust fund that pays hospital bills is expected be exhausted by 2019, leaving Medicare to limp along with payroll tax collections that would cover only 78 percent of estimated hospital expenditures. And the trust funds that pay for doctors’ services and prescription drugs will face rising costs that will inevitably drive up premiums and require infusions of money from general tax revenues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/28/opinion/28fri2.html

You have your head stuck in the sand, Huggy

Navy, thanks for bringing up this good information on what we can expect from our government in the form of healthcare. I brought this up on another thread, and no one on the left really wanted to comment on the subject of the VA hospital.
Having said that I think that as long as Barry signs a bill that will give us this type of healthcare, they will be lauding his brilliance and compassion. I know, I don't understand it either.

Last edited:
Willow I belive this next quote pretty much says everything I need to say I suppose.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

if it happens just as often as it does here,in a country with 30 mill people as compared to one with 300 mill.....then Canada's system is not as good as you seem to think it is....

Whatever you say Harry.
so i get the last word?.....Bobo let me put it to you like this.....i would love to see a great best on the planet health care system here.....But you and others who are all for this...NO MATTER WHAT....are not doing a good job of convincing me....the reason?....no matter what you put up here,i find just as many things countering your claims....and like i said in the other post on this, i know 4 from Canada,ones a nurse....she said there are way two many negatives about it,for it to be a model....so your not convincing me what you want will be better than what i got...

The negatives you bring up are made up. And our current system has more negatives that are REAL.

Why do you think most Doctors and nurses want what I want? Because they know your worries are lies that were fed to you from the very insurance companies that are gouging us.

And we don't need to convince you. Some people are just stubborn. We didn't need you to get Obama elected so we don't really need you for this.

First, the partisan dynamics have changed in Congress. While some Republicans might vote for single payer, they wouldn't need to. The Democratic leadership could persuade enough Democrats to vote to pass it without a single Republican, if they chose to.

A massive, well-organized public movement has been built that is pressing right now for single payer. In the House of Representatives, the leading advocate is Congressman John Conyers, D-Mich., whose bill H.R. 676 had 93 cosponsors in the last Congress. Conyers provides a useful FAQ here, and Physicians for a National Health Program has provided a longer one on single payer.

Other advocates include: Labor for Single Payer, Healthcare Now, the California Nurses Association and the Leadership Conference for Guaranteed Health Care, which boasts dozens of major organizational members.

http://www.alternet.org/healthwelln...single-payer_health_care_has_become_possible/

Last edited:
Meister I can tell you I don't use the VA unless I have too. The VA is one FUBAR'D outfit and I am pretty much done with them. My recent experience with the civilian hospital though has been a good one and all of the people there were professional and top notch. I find it really amazing that when you have a long time example of US Govt. run healthcare right before your eye's that should be enough to tell everyone no thank you. Rather like if anyone recalls the Yugo and what a disaster of car that was and everyone knows it but now the whole country wants the Govt. to provide them Yugo's anyway. If I need to go to the clinic on base I can do that too but Im quite happy not having to go to the VA.

Navy Navy Navy! we digress.. the very people in here now lauding the ability of the government to run things,, were bitching a blue streak just months ago.. and,, they've managed to double the deficit.. now see? don't wade in too deep,, they'll pull you under! Remember how miserable the care was the vets got??? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Progressive Democrats of America has mobilized tremendous grassroots pressure through its Healthcare Not Warfare campaign. This is essentially a campaign for single-payer health coverage, but it also organizes the peace movement to participate and communicates an important selling point. The financial cost of creating a single payer-system would be a fraction of what we spend each year merely on the occupation of Iraq, which Congress and the president have committed to ending.

Checkmate bitch!!:lol:

He reiterated his support for allowing people to keep the plans they get through their jobs if they want, but also to offer the new public health insurance plan to compete against private insurers. "This will give them a better range of choices, make the health care market more competitive, and keep insurance companies honest," Obama wrote.

Obama urges Kennedy, Baucus to press ahead on healthcare - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is leaving the door open to taxing health care benefits, something he campaigned hard against while running for president, according to senators who met with him Tuesday.

So let me see if I can understand this correctly, we have a record deficit, a massive debt, growing unemployment, large compaines going backrupt, and along with the so called stimulus package that has created to my knowlegde at least a few jobs for the mice that are being studied in California. We are now proposing healthcare for all and not only that we will pay for it by taxing everyone? and forcing them to have healthcare if they want it or not? Further, what private enterprise wants to compete with the very entity that regulates it? Eventually the only game in town will be the Federal Govt. as private insurers will not wish to compete with Fed. The fact is that the Federal Govt. has a dismal record on healthcare and the VA should be a good indication of that. While it's a noble thing to want the Govt. to provide healthcare for all, there are simply people out there that do not want healthcare coverage. Here is a novel idea, how about paying down the debt and putting the economy back on it's feet and letting Americans make their own healthcare choices there's a novel idea. If the Govt. really wanted to be in the business of helping the American public with reforming an industry, they would regulate as they are entitlied to do under the commerce clause and perhaps more companies would want to get into the healthcare insurance business. There are many solutions other than a draconian edict from on high that demands everyone has healthcare.

You are indeed a voice of reason on this and see the issues very clearly on why many of us are very concerned about this nonsense

okay, so you all are propogandized by fox news. no surprise there.

Of course the rightwing wants to compare single payer, government financed healthcare to the VA. The VA isn't single payer health care, it socialized medicine. The government owns the hospitals and the government employs the doctors. that's socialized medicine. And no one is proposing that, despite what rush limbaugh told you. the VA is a health provider of last resort for veterans, and they do a pretty damn go job at filling that niche.

But no democrat has ever proposed allowing the governments to own the hospitals and employ the doctors.

You only think that, because World Nut Daily told you to think that.

If you really want to debate this, you should learn the difference between socialized government healthcare, and single payer healthcare.

The difference is ginormous. In one, the government runs every thing. In the other, the government just pays the bills to private doctors and hospitals.

Which is the kind of health insurance John mcCain and Sarah Palin get. Government financed health care. And i fucking guarantee you they are happy with their government financed healthcare.

Meister I can tell you I don't use the VA unless I have too. The VA is one FUBAR'D outfit and I am pretty much done with them. My recent experience with the civilian hospital though has been a good one and all of the people there were professional and top notch. I find it really amazing that when you have a long time example of US Govt. run healthcare right before your eye's that should be enough to tell everyone no thank you. Rather like if anyone recalls the Yugo and what a disaster of car that was and everyone knows it but now the whole country wants the Govt. to provide them Yugo's anyway. If I need to go to the clinic on base I can do that too but Im quite happy not having to go to the VA.

We are very sorry for how the GOP said they supported you troops but didn't back up their words with action.

McCain voted against funding you guys 80% of the time and Obama voted to fund you 80% of the time. And McCain said he was pro troops? :eusa_liar:

Walter Reed hospital was an embarrassment.

And the GOP purposely tried to deny you guys benefits. Lets say you were 50% disabled. They would try to lower your score so you would get less benefits. They told workers at VA administration offices to NOT help you with getting you benefits.

This is a great example of the GOP not only saying government doesn't work, but they also proved it.

Of course the rightwing wants to compare single payer, government financed healthcare to the VA. The VA isn't single payer health care, it socialized medicine. The government owns the hospitals and the government employs the doctors. that's socialized medicine. And no one is proposing that, despite what rush limbaugh told you. the VA is a health provider of last resort for veterans, and they do a pretty damn go job at filling that niche.

But no democrat has ever proposed allowing the governments to own the hospitals and employ the doctors.

If you really want to debate this, you should learn the difference between socialized government healthcare, and single payer healthcare.

The difference is ginormous. In one, the government runs every thing. In the other, the government just pays the bills to private doctors and hospitals.

Which is the kind of health insurance John mcCain and Sarah Palin get. Government financed health care. And i fucking guarantee you they are happy with their government financed healthcare.

Ed Schultz made a great point yesterday. This issue shows just how out of touch Washington is with America. They can't relate to the problems we have because they have great healthcare.

Willow I belive this next quote pretty much says everything I need to say I suppose.

Benjamin Franklin:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security

I completely agree with Benjamin Franklin. We have people on this board who are willing to trade their freedom for what they believe will be "security" in their healthcare. So they deserve neither their freedom to choose their own provider or security in government controled health care.

Ironically, anyone who understands power and how governments obtain power knows that there will be no security in government run health care. People will still be unable to get proceedures. The government will soon be determining who should live and who should die. This is dangerous power to be giving to Washington. Its a dangerous power in anyones hands. How long before Eugenics becauses an even more acceptible practice? "Oh you're old, you cost too much to keep alive, so you cant get this treatment."

We are about to see the Revenge of the Sith.

Progressive Democrats of America has mobilized tremendous grassroots pressure through its Healthcare Not Warfare campaign. This is essentially a campaign for single-payer health coverage, but it also organizes the peace movement to participate and communicates an important selling point. The financial cost of creating a single payer-system would be a fraction of what we spend each year merely on the occupation of Iraq, which Congress and the president have committed to ending.

Checkmate bitch!!:lol:

LIES pig.. everyone knows you will never be anything but a pig.. pig!! me? I'd rather be a bitch,, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: oh and btw,, your pig ass is still in Iraq,, you gonna wait til that's over for you execute dumbazz programs????

Benjamin Franklin:

I completely agree with Benjamin Franklin. We have people on this board who are willing to trade their freedom for what they believe will be "security" in their healthcare. So they deserve neither their freedom to choose their own provider or security in government controled health care.

Ironically, anyone who understands power and how governments obtain power knows that there will be no security in government run health care. People will still be unable to get proceedures. The government will soon be determining who should live and who should die. This is dangerous power to be giving to Washington. Its a dangerous power in anyones hands. How long before Eugenics becauses an even more acceptible practice? "Oh you're old, you cost too much to keep alive, so you cant get this treatment."

We are about to see the Revenge of the Sith.

Now the FOR PROFITS are the ones deciding we should die so they can max out their bonus'.

What a hoot! First of all, you can have choice. We'll have a public plan and you can continue paying 4 times more for what you want. I bet you will come over to the public plan. Or, it'll help lower your costs because right now its a monopoly.

This Ben Franklen quote is silly. You can't apply it here.

So if we break up the Healthcare monopoly, or if we take away the Federal Reserve from the rich bankers that own it, you think thats sacraficing freedom?

You righties are sooo stupid. Remember you kept saying we were in Iraq fighting for freedom? You guys overuse that word.

This is about fascism.

I like Will Rogers quote. "I don't belong to any organized political party. I'm a democrat":lol:

Ed Schultz made a great point yesterday. This issue shows just how out of touch Washington is with America. They can't relate to the problems we have because they have great healthcare.

no one is proposing having the government own hospitals, and turn doctors and nurses into government employees.

Its either dishonest, or just plain ignorant to suggest that liberals are proposing a VA type system. The VA provides a niche service to veterans, that Blue Cross wont. You think Blue Cross is going to insure a veteran with two legs missing and pre-existing health conditions? LOL

Liberals are proposing that every one have access to the same health care plan John McCain and Sarah Palin enjoy.

I've been waiting for like 12 months for one single Con, to post one single quote from McCain or Gingrich explaining why their government financed healthcare is horrible

Last edited:
Whatever you say Harry.
so i get the last word?.....Bobo let me put it to you like this.....i would love to see a great best on the planet health care system here.....But you and others who are all for this...NO MATTER WHAT....are not doing a good job of convincing me....the reason?....no matter what you put up here,i find just as many things countering your claims....and like i said in the other post on this, i know 4 from Canada,ones a nurse....she said there are way two many negatives about it,for it to be a model....so your not convincing me what you want will be better than what i got...

The negatives you bring up are made up. And our current system has more negatives that are REAL.

Why do you think most Doctors and nurses want what I want? Because they know your worries are lies that were fed to you from the very insurance companies that are gouging us.

And we don't need to convince you. Some people are just stubborn. We didn't need you to get Obama elected so we don't really need you for this.

First, the partisan dynamics have changed in Congress. While some Republicans might vote for single payer, they wouldn't need to. The Democratic leadership could persuade enough Democrats to vote to pass it without a single Republican, if they chose to.

A massive, well-organized public movement has been built that is pressing right now for single payer. In the House of Representatives, the leading advocate is Congressman John Conyers, D-Mich., whose bill H.R. 676 had 93 cosponsors in the last Congress. Conyers provides a useful FAQ here, and Physicians for a National Health Program has provided a longer one on single payer.

Other advocates include: Labor for Single Payer, Healthcare Now, the California Nurses Association and the Leadership Conference for Guaranteed Health Care, which boasts dozens of major organizational members.

Three Reasons Why Single-Payer Health Care Has Become Possible | Health and Wellness | AlterNet

You're stupid. Shut up. Quesitons?

no one is proposing having the government own hospitals, and turn doctors and nurses into government employees.

Its either dishonest, or just plain ignorant to suggest that liberals are proposing a VA type system. The VA provides a niche service to veterans, that Blue Cross wont. You think Blue Cross is going to insure a veteran with two legs missing and pre-existing health conditions? LOL

Liberals are proposing that every one have access to the same health care plan John McCain and Sarah Palin enjoy.

I've been waiting for like 12 months for one single Con, to post one single quote from McCain or Gingrich explaining why their government financed healthcare is horrible

Navy and Harry truly don't understand that their thinking is the culmination of 30 years of brainwashing. Reagan started with that bullshit line, "the worst words you can hear is, "hi I'm from the government and I'm here to help"

Its frustrating because it is so obvious that they're being misled and lied to. But you can't convince them.

And willow, well, she's just a retarded housewife who doesn't know shit.

yes,, just like no one wants abortion or no one wants to run the car companies,, go peddle that shit somewhere else

Forum List

Back