Democrats: The Modern 'Know-Nothing' Party

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. In "Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One," Dr. Thomas Sowell points out that many politicians do not think beyond Stage One because they will be praised (and elected) for the short term benefits but will not be held accountable much later when the long term consequences appear.

The truth can be clearly seen in the economic policy that will be voted on in November.

2. The NYTimes verifies that the Obama economic plan is less beneficial than the Ryan Plan:

a. Deficit in 2016
Obama: $529 billion
Ryan Plan $241 billion

b. Added debt over the next ten years:
Obama $6.4 trillion
Ryan $3.1 trillion

c. Balances the budget:
Obama: never
Ryan: by 2040
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/us/politics/house-republicans-release-budget-blueprint.html

Not even close!
To vote for the Obama economic plan, one would have to subscribe to 'I know nothing...I vote Democrat.'

Obama: When you find yourself in a hole.....stop digging.

So, we should trust the party that ran UP the deficits to stop doing so in only 28 years.

Are you serious or is this a joke?

Know Nothing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds more Republican to me

The Know Nothing was a movement by the nativist American political faction of the 1850s, characterized by political xenophobia, anti-Catholic sentiment, and occasional bouts of violence against the groups the nativists targeted. It was empowered by popular fears that the country was being overwhelmed by German and Irish Catholic immigrants, who were often regarded as hostile to republican values and controlled by the Pope in Rome. Mainly active from 1854 to 1856, it strove to curb immigration and naturalization, though its efforts met with little success.Membership was limited to Protestant males of British American lineage.

Last edited:
So, we should trust the party that ran UP the deficits to stop doing so in only 28 years.

"...the party that ran UP the deficits..."

1. (Reuters) - Deficits for the next two fiscal years would be slightly higher than the White House envisions if President Barack Obama's budget plan were adopted, the Congressional Budget Office said on Friday.CBO sees higher near-term deficits under Obama plan | Reuters

2. Obama Deficits Bush Deficits
FY 2012: $1,327 billion FY 2009: $1,413 billion
FY 2011: $1,300 billion FY 2008: $459 billion
FY 2010: $1,293 billion FY 2007: $161 billion
US Federal Deficit by Year - Charts Analysis

Once again the definition of Liberal is an individual for whom data, facts, logic, nor experience have any bearing in decision making.

Brings to mind the historic term, 'yella' dog Democrat'....Someone (generally from the South) who would vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat.

The Know Nothing was a movement by the nativist American political faction of the 1850s, characterized by political xenophobia, anti-Catholic sentiment, and occasional bouts of violence against the groups the nativists targeted. It was empowered by popular fears that the country was being overwhelmed by German and Irish Catholic immigrants, who were often regarded as hostile to republican values and controlled by the Pope in Rome. Mainly active from 1854 to 1856, it strove to curb immigration and naturalization, though its efforts met with little success.Membership was limited to Protestant males of British American lineage.

That's 'cause you didn't understand the OP.

That's 'cause you didn't understand what the Know Nothing Party was

1. When you hear Ryan promise to balance the budget, just remember,

Reagan promised to balance the budget,

with essentially the same plan Ryan is proposing.

2. Keep in mind, Obama's deficits are all occurring under Republican tax plans; Obama's deficits are the result of Obama acting like a Republican on taxes.

"...the party that ran UP the deficits..."

1. (Reuters) - Deficits for the next two fiscal years would be slightly higher than the White House envisions if President Barack Obama's budget plan were adopted, the Congressional Budget Office said on Friday.CBO sees higher near-term deficits under Obama plan | Reuters

2. Obama Deficits Bush Deficits
FY 2012: $1,327 billion FY 2009: $1,413 billion
FY 2011: $1,300 billion FY 2008: $459 billion
FY 2010: $1,293 billion FY 2007: $161 billion
US Federal Deficit by Year - Charts Analysis

Once again the definition of Liberal is an individual for whom data, facts, logic, nor experience have any bearing in decision making.

Brings to mind the historic term, 'yella' dog Democrat'....Someone (generally from the South) who would vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat.

Most of the Obama deficits are the result of continuing Bush policies. Yes, for that you CAN blame Obama.

If we had Republicans in office, we would have deficits of the same size or bigger, and an economy doing worse, and people in a greater state of misery. The government is not omnipotent, and in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression it is impossible to balance the budget. To blame Obama and the Democrats for this is to blame them for the laws of nature.

Oh, and what Rightwinger said. Knowledge of history for the win. ;)

I agree with the premise, but still find that Ryan's plan comes up really short on true cuts. A balanced budget by 2040?? That's like predicting 28 years into the future that all things remain equal in global and domestic economics of the country. Since that isn't going to happen and policies will shift within the next 4-6 years, I find the plan to simply be a blow hard.

If we're going to get serious about balancing the budget and paying down debt, the plan should be to cut far more and far deeper to achieve a balance within the next 3-4 years and begin paying down the debt. The plan does not move this fiscal conservative. It's better than democrats "no budget" policy, but it falls pretty far short of setting the country on a fiscally responsible course.

1. When you hear Ryan promise to balance the budget, just remember,

Reagan promised to balance the budget,

with essentially the same plan Ryan is proposing.

2. Keep in mind, Obama's deficits are all occurring under Republican tax plans; Obama's deficits are the result of Obama acting like a Republican on taxes.

Well, since you mention 'The Great Man,'.....

"By the end of the summer of Reagan's third year in office, the economy was soaring. The GDP growth rate was 5% and racing toward 7%, even 8% growth. In 1983 and '84 output was growing so fast the biggest worry was that the economy would "overheat." In the summer of 2011 we have an economy limping along at barely 1% growth and by some indications headed toward a "double-dip" recession. By the end of Reagan's first term, it was Morning in America. Today there is gloomy talk of America in its twilight.

The Reagan philosophy was to incentivize production—i.e., the "supply side" of the economy—by lowering restraints on business expansion and investment. This was done by slashing marginal income tax rates, eliminating regulatory high hurdles, and reining in inflation with a tighter monetary policy."
Stephen Moore: Obamanonics vs. Reaganomics - WSJ.com

I agree with the premise, but still find that Ryan's plan comes up really short on true cuts. A balanced budget by 2040?? That's like predicting 28 years into the future that all things remain equal in global and domestic economics of the country. Since that isn't going to happen and policies will shift within the next 4-6 years, I find the plan to simply be a blow hard.

If we're going to get serious about balancing the budget and paying down debt, the plan should be to cut far more and far deeper to achieve a balance within the next 3-4 years and begin paying down the debt. The plan does not move this fiscal conservative. It's better than democrats "no budget" policy, but it falls pretty far short of setting the country on a fiscally responsible course.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. – Chinese proverb.

That's 'cause you didn't understand what the Know Nothing Party was

Of course I did....it's just that the play on 'Know Nothing' with reference to economics was too ...nuanced....for you.

Oh, i agree. It is a far superior plan than that of the Obama administration. However, it is not the best plan on fiscal repair/responsibility offered up in the current political climate.

If we had Republicans in office, we would have deficits of the same size or bigger, and an economy doing worse, and people in a greater state of misery. The government is not omnipotent, and in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression it is impossible to balance the budget. To blame Obama and the Democrats for this is to blame them for the laws of nature.

Oh, and what Rightwinger said. Knowledge of history for the win. ;)

So....when will you invest in a study of history?

"His policies worked spectacularly! The Reagan recovery started officially in November of 1982 and lasted 92 months without any more than a shallow, short recession, until July 1990, when tax increases of the ’92 budget deal killed it."
Robert Bartley, “The Seven Fat Years,” p. 135, 144.

"This was a new record for the longest peacetime expansion, the previous being 58 months. During this seven year recovery, the economy grew by nearly one third.
The poverty rate, which had started to rise under Carter, declined every year from 1984 to 1989, dropping by one sixth from its peak." The Reagan Information Page:poverty Rates

Then there was the Food-Stamp Presidency.....

Ryan does have a plan out there which is more than I can say for the Dems. Is it perfect. Nope.

I like Macks plan better as his make some serious cuts.

As for Reagan I sure wish that man were in the WH today. I have no doubt the economy would be up and running in no time. He had to make some swaps with Tip O'Neil during the 80's and he didn't get all that he wanted but the 80's sure rocked for me at any rate.

1. In "Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One," Dr. Thomas Sowell points out that many politicians do not think beyond Stage One because they will be praised (and elected) for the short term benefits but will not be held accountable much later when the long term consequences appear.

The truth can be clearly seen in the economic policy that will be voted on in November.

2. The NYTimes verifies that the Obama economic plan is less beneficial than the Ryan Plan:

a. Deficit in 2016
Ryan Plan $241 billion

Obama $6.4 trillion
Ryan $3.1 trillion

c. Balances the budget:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/us/politics/house-republicans-release-budget-blueprint.html

Not even close!
To vote for the Obama economic plan, one would have to subscribe to 'I know nothing...I vote Democrat.'

Good grief, one more ridiculous and fully partisan fishing exhibition by the resident troll.

There are two sides to 'central planning' and neither will prevail. A budget is a compromise and a budget is a plan. Since no compromise is on the horizon the plan is to point fingers at the other side.

Hopefully sane heads will prevail and the Congress will eventually send a budget to the White House which President Obama will sign. Congress has an approval rating of 12%; I can't imagine why it is so 'high'.

a. Deficit in 2016
Ryan Plan $241 billion

Obama $6.4 trillion
Ryan $3.1 trillion

c. Balances the budget:

Not even close!

You are the party that hates science, tries to rewrite history at every turn, hates higher education and calls it brainwashing and trashes anyone who teaches in this country.

Your side has failed historically with its ideas repetedly.

get some ideas that might work for na change

Forum List

Back