Democrats Solidify Electoral Base

Once they have shown that they will act criminally in a violation against what our society is set up for, they have chosen an act where rights can be taken away... not just the right to walk around free or freely assemble

As stated... I am not against it to the degree that I will lead a campaign against it the fact that in my state, prior felons are allowed to vote... but I would not lead a campaign against it if my state would determine to take that right away from criminals... for I can fully understand the revocation of rights for criminal actions, even after the incarceration portion of the punishment is over... just as I will not hire a felon in a position where absolute trust is needed, I.E. a job requiring a security clearance
:clap2:

A right is not a law of physics that cannot be broken... a right can be revoked due to one's actions... even the right to life can be taken away for a maniacal murderer...

which is why we have the death penalty....

As stated... I am not against it to the degree that I will lead a campaign against it the fact that in my state, prior felons are allowed to vote... but I would not lead a campaign against it if my state would determine to take that right away from criminals... for I can fully understand the revocation of rights for criminal actions, even after the incarceration portion of the punishment is over... just as I will not hire a felon in a position where absolute trust is needed, I.E. a job requiring a security clearance

I'll agree it does make sense not to have felons work on our nuclear subs.

you don't have a right to live in a house or walk down the street, whistle, etc....all of these things can be governed by the authorities.....by tradition, we encompass these activities into the freedoms we enjoy in this country (& of course, no one stops us from pursuing these activities as we wish unless otherwise restricted by law), but they along with voting, are not separate rights....

And even the Bill of Rights can be restricted....for example, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater & convicted felons can have their 2nd Amendment rights restricted.....

Of course you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, that would be inciting a riot or something along those lines. You cannot use your rights to harm others because you are then depriving them of their rights.

And you are unconvincing. We are the ones with rights, we grant the government powers and not the other way around.

Of course you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, that would be inciting a riot or something along those lines. You cannot use your rights to harm others because you are then depriving them of their rights.

And you are unconvincing. We are the ones with rights, we grant the government powers and not the other way around.

But if that government disappears, do you really have those rights? Or are those rights a creation of man and our society?

While we may believe that we are CREATED in an equal way... whether that be by genetics or intelligent design is irrelevant... and just as any law in physics would take a change in physics that is beyond human control, any right that is actually given by God or Allah or Buddah or whomever would only be able to be taken away by that higher power... but the fact is that a right, which is an ideal, can be taken away my human kind... it is not an absolute

We can use law and order, crime and punishment as a means to take away the rights of a criminal, because they have chosen their actions and we choose to live in a society where we govern rights

we do grant the goverment its authority...I agree with you fully on this, but the fact remains the framers never perceived direct voting to be a right.....even the Amendments that cover voting (15th, 19th, 24th & 26th) never point to one single right to vote.....these cover specific instances based on specific criteria.....

We are not a direct democracy, but a representative republic....if there were a right to vote, we would have direct elections for the President

Read the following article in the Nation: I am not a liberal, but this is from a liberal view point & the author states the same thing....aside from the political sniping....

The Right to Vote

But if that government disappears, do you really have those rights? Or are those rights a creation of man and our society?
That's exactly right. We only have the rights as a society that we allow ourselves, as a society. But still, in this country, WE are the ones that grant ourselves rights and limit the Federal and State's ability to take them away.

And not the other way around.

Something we can all be thankful for.

:rofl:

Authored by Steve Mount, some doofus with an opinion.

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

he took the time to research specific instances.....I also provided you with another link showing the right to vote does not exist in the Constitution....

we do grant the goverment its authority...I agree with you fully on this, but the fact remains the framers never perceived direct voting to be a right.....even the Amendments that cover voting (15th, 19th, 24th & 26th) never point to one single right to vote.....these cover specific instances based on specific criteria.....

We are not a direct democracy, but a representative republic....if there were a right to vote, we would have direct elections for the President

Read the following article in the Nation: I am not a liberal, but this is from a liberal view point & the author states the same thing....aside from the political sniping....

The Right to Vote
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, we have a right to do anything unless there is a compelling reason to limit it. I think the constitution was written to limit the government's ability to take our rights away, not to guarantee us any rights...as our rights are a given.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, we have a right to do anything unless there is a compelling reason to limit it. I think the constitution was written to limit the government's ability to take our rights away, not to guarantee us any rights...as our rights are a given.

actually, you & I agree on many things from a fundamental viewpoint, the constitution was written to limit goverment's authority, but it also was a blueprint on how goverment was to be set up......voting wasn't really included until later on.....

actually, you & I agree on many things from a fundamental viewpoint, the constitution was written to limit goverment's authority, but it also was a blueprint on how goverment was to be set up......voting wasn't really included until later on.....

One more point. Immigrants have no right to vote until they become citizens.

That's exactly right. We only have the rights as a society that we allow ourselves, as a society. But still, in this country, WE are the ones that grant ourselves rights and limit the Federal and State's ability to take them away.

And not the other way around.

Something we can all be thankful for.

But government of a republic nature, does have the ability to act without the whim of the public... the recourse of the public, of course, is only thru the elections

Government and society can and should have the ability to restrict those who thwart the society/country/state/etc... including the rights which the power of the government itself, allowed us to have... we can shout that we have rights until we are blue in the face, but it is the power of governance that makes it possible... and with that power to grant, also comes the power of restriction.... as stated, we don't have God or Haley's Comet or whomever as the ultimate authority with the only power to take our 'rights' away... our rights are our perception.. perception can be altered and effected by power.. we give power to the government... government can situationally restrict rights

But government of a republic nature, does have the ability to act without the whim of the public... the recourse of the public, of course, is only thru the elections

Government and society can and should have the ability to restrict those who thwart the society/country/state/etc... including the rights which the power of the government itself, allowed us to have... we can shout that we have rights until we are blue in the face, but it is the power of governance that makes it possible... and with that power to grant, also comes the power of restriction.... as stated, we don't have God or Haley's Comet or whomever as the ultimate authority with the only power to take our 'rights' away... our rights are our perception.. perception can be altered and effected by power.. we give power to the government... government can situationally restrict rights

government can do so because we have already assigned them the authority to carry out the people's business on their behalf....

Forum List

Back