Democrats Solidify Electoral Base

Why shouldn't a person who committed a felony be allowed to vote after they paid their debt to society? White collar crimes, selling drugs, burglary, manslaughter, statutory rape, fraud, tax evasion, etc.

Yeah, those are the guys you want in the voting booths.

If you commit a serious crime against society, you lose the PRIVILEGE of voting in that society. You've shown you have no respect for the laws of the land, therefore you lose the right to participate in the creation of laws and election of lawmakers and politicians. Forever.

How about dead ex-felons?

Surely we aren't advocating that they can't vote too, are we?

The dead have been deciding close elections in some parts of America since this whole voting business started.

Surely we're not going to disenfranchise the perfectly innocent dead just because they made a mistake while they were among the living!

:eusa_whistle:

Funny... did not see anything in here stating, or anyone in here stating, that it should be for only felons of only a particular race

but nice try

Aren't prisons 75% black even though blacks only make up 15% of the population? This is just a law white men use to deny minorities the right to vote.

Since poverty is the number one reason men commit crimes and because rich men can afford good lawyers to reduce their felonies to mindemeanors, this to me is just another way of denying thousands of black men their right to vote. Yes, we have the right. I'm not black, but we all have a RIGHT to vote.

Murders and rapists? I won't defend them. But other criminals like arson or robbery or burlary or manslaughter? Why can't they get back their right to vote?

Answer me. Why shouldn't they get back the right to vote after they paid their debt to society?

Fine, no guns for ex felons. No biggy. But deny them the right to vote for a lifetime? Why?

You are using someone's opinion, no? I googled it.

I don't think the constitution gives out any rights, rather it specifies which rights cannot be denied the American people. But just because a right isn't named does not mean the right does not exist.

Equal protection would cover this, I think. If the population is allowed to vote, instead of say the representatives of the population, then voting becomes a civil right.

it is from another source, but due to board rules, I can not post the link until I hit 15 posts....once I get the required 15, I'll post the link.....

the Constitution does spell out rights.....they are the 1st 10 Amendments or Bill or Rights....

there is a tradition in this country to have people elect their leaders, but by no means is this a right....the framers understood this principle & is a big reason why they set up the government the way they did....

Aren't prisons 75% black even though blacks only make up 15% of the population? This is just a law white men use to deny minorities the right to vote.

Since poverty is the number one reason men commit crimes and because rich men can afford good lawyers to reduce their felonies to mindemeanors, this to me is just another way of denying thousands of black men their right to vote. Yes, we have the right. I'm not black, but we all have a RIGHT to vote.

Murders and rapists? I won't defend them. But other criminals like arson or robbery or burlary or manslaughter? Why can't they get back their right to vote?

Answer me. Why shouldn't they get back the right to vote after they paid their debt to society?

Fine, no guns for ex felons. No biggy. But deny them the right to vote for a lifetime? Why?

No... but nice try

It is a stance to prevent felons... it would not be any different no matter what percentage of what race committed what percentage of whatever types of crimes

I have already stated my stance as why I would support felons never again having the right to vote.. just as I have stated why I accept it as law that they can in the state where I live... and again, it is a damned if you do and damned if you don't argument... one that I understand and can take that prior felons are allowed to vote, but I would not disagree with that right being taken away

And no... we do not all have the right to vote.. depending on the state law, voting rights can and will be taken away for certain reasons... I don't see registering a mentally incompetent person and allowing them to vote... I do not see allowing incarcerated people to vote... I do not see allowing persons under the age of 18 to vote... I do not see allowing illegals and non-citizens to vote.. etc

:rolleyes: sloppy thinking....

once again, show me where in the Constitution does the right exist....

Manslaughter is just accidental murder....

because they chose to take themselves out of society's norms when they committed their crimes....

the Right to Bear Arms is a part of the Bill of Rights....the right to vote does not exist....

it is from another source, but due to board rules, I can not post the link until I hit 15 posts....once I get the required 15, I'll post the link.....

the Constitution does spell out rights.....they are the 1st 10 Amendments or Bill or Rights....

there is a tradition in this country to have people elect their leaders, but by no means is this a right....the framers understood this principle & is a big reason why they set up the government the way they did....
If you read the Bill of Rights you will see that we are not being given rights, rather we are saying these are rights that cannot be taken away.

Congress shall make no law
shall not be infringed
shall not be violated

None of that was ever meant to cover all of our rights, only to prevent the "government" from taking away what the signers agreed were the most important rights.

No... but nice try

It is a stance to prevent felons... it would not be any different no matter what percentage of what race committed what percentage of whatever types of crimes

I have already stated my stance as why I would support felons never again having the right to vote.. just as I have stated why I accept it as law that they can in the state where I live... and again, it is a damned if you do and damned if you don't argument... one that I understand and can take that prior felons are allowed to vote, but I would not disagree with that right being taken away

And no... we do not all have the right to vote.. depending on the state law, voting rights can and will be taken away for certain reasons... I don't see registering a mentally incompetent person and allowing them to vote... I do not see allowing incarcerated people to vote... I do not see allowing persons under the age of 18 to vote... I do not see allowing illegals and non-citizens to vote.. etc

I guess I'm not going to rob that party store tonight because if i get caught, I won't be able to vote ever again. LOL.

No I don't see letting people currently incarcerated or letting illegals vote either.

But after someone has gone through probation and paid their debt, there is no reason they should not be allowed to vote.

You don't believe this has to do with race, but that doesn't make you right. But nice try.

And of course you are cool with rights being taken away. We all know that about you.

If you read the Bill of Rights you will see that we are not being given rights, rather we are saying these are rights that cannot be taken away.

Congress shall make no law
shall not be infringed
shall not be violated

None of that was ever meant to cover all of our rights, only to prevent the "government" from taking away what the signers agreed were the most important rights.

precisely....however, because the "right to vote" was not included, means that it wasn't considered a right in the first place....we are not a direct democracy, but a representative republic.....if you put in a "right to vote" amendment to the constitution, by definition you have changed the way our country & goverment is set up.....that means you must abolish the electoral college & have direct elections for all public offices.....

I guess I'm not going to rob that party store tonight because if i get caught, I won't be able to vote ever again. LOL.

No I don't see letting people currently incarcerated or letting illegals vote either.

But after someone has gone through probation and paid their debt, there is no reason they should not be allowed to vote.

You don't believe this has to do with race, but that doesn't make you right. But nice try.

And of course you are cool with rights being taken away. We all know that about you.

As criminals DO have rights taken away... as they should... but no non-criminal law abiding citizen should have rights taken away...

It is not about race because you wish to play some bogus race card... criminality is about criminality... next you will tell me it is discriminatory against men because there are more men than women in jail... or discriminatory against people with tattoos because a higher percentage of people in prison have tattoos... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

i agree that once a person has paid their debt to society, they should be allowed to vote...with maybe a probationary waiting period as part of their debt.

here's another good link: Felon Voting - ProCon.org

precisely....however, because the "right to vote" was not included, means that it wasn't considered a right in the first place....we are not a direct democracy, but a representative republic.....if you put in a "right to vote" amendment to the constitution, by definition you have changed the way our country & goverment is set up.....that means you must abolish the electoral college & have direct elections for all public offices.....
That's silly. So we have no right to live in houses, walk down the street, whistle, eat ice cream, etc, because it isn't listed in the constitution?

We have the right to do anything, until a compelling reason removes that right.

No... but nice try

I'm kinda curious about the crazy vote. I bet they'd be republicans. ;)

Yes there are reasons where someone is not competent to vote. Crime isn't competence though. We don't deny youngsters or mentally ill people the right to vote to punish them. We do it because they would not be able to exercise it responsibly.

Criminals are competent however. Just like mentally ill people and youngsters cannot represent themselves in court and criminals can. Our system of justice isn't about punishing based on our morals. It's about protecting people.

Theres no protection against banning criminals to vote; unless like I said, you're making the argument they'll vote for criminals. That seems silly to me, so I see no reason for it.

I'm kinda curious about the crazy vote. I bet they'd be republicans. ;)

Yes there are reasons where someone is not competent to vote. Crime isn't competence though. We don't deny youngsters or mentally ill people the right to vote to punish them. We do it because they would not be able to exercise it responsibly.

Criminals are competent however. Just like mentally ill people and youngsters cannot represent themselves in court and criminals can. Our system of justice isn't about punishing based on our morals. It's about protecting people.

Theres no protection against banning criminals to vote; unless like I said, you're making the argument they'll vote for criminals. That seems silly to me, so I see no reason for it.

Once they have shown that they will act criminally in a violation against what our society is set up for, they have chosen an act where rights can be taken away... not just the right to walk around free or freely assemble

As stated... I am not against it to the degree that I will lead a campaign against it the fact that in my state, prior felons are allowed to vote... but I would not lead a campaign against it if my state would determine to take that right away from criminals... for I can fully understand the revocation of rights for criminal actions, even after the incarceration portion of the punishment is over... just as I will not hire a felon in a position where absolute trust is needed, I.E. a job requiring a security clearance

That's silly. So we have no right to live in houses, walk down the street, whistle, eat ice cream, etc, because it isn't listed in the constitution?

you don't have a right to live in a house or walk down the street, whistle, etc....all of these things can be governed by the authorities.....by tradition, we encompass these activities into the freedoms we enjoy in this country (& of course, no one stops us from pursuing these activities as we wish unless otherwise restricted by law), but they along with voting, are not separate rights....

And even the Bill of Rights can be restricted....for example, you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater & convicted felons can have their 2nd Amendment rights restricted.....

Do felon disenfranchisement laws conflict with the U.S. Constitution?

Do felon disenfranchisement laws conflict with the U.S. Constitution?

What does the U.S. Constitution say about voting and punishment?

What does the U.S. Constitution say about voting and punishment?

Forum List

Back