Democrats say anonymous donors unfairly influencing Senate races

There is a very easy solution to this. Repeal the 17th amendment and return the Senate to the States. That way special interests cant donate to their campaign and we can restore an important check to the states that progressives have eliminated.

It may just come down to that. If it stops this shit, I'm for it.

There is a very easy solution to this. Repeal the 17th amendment and return the Senate to the States. That way special interests cant donate to their campaign and we can restore an important check to the states that progressives have eliminated.

This would be a GOOD thing...

It may just come down to that. If it stops this shit, I'm for it.

Ask your liberal friends.....they'll quickly change your mind.

What you are seeing is that all the centralized power is now gathering in D.C. and the stakes are very high. That is why so much money gets flung around...they can't afford to not have access to candidates or officials who are partial their causes.

Answer: Just shrink D.C. Does not come without issues of it' own...but I can get to Topeka a lot easier than I can get to D.C. And my state senator reps about 60,000 people.....not 2 milliion of them.

The OP article does a piss poor job of explaining the problem.

The problem is that people are breaking the law. Now I know every law abiding Republican would not want lawbreakers to get away with breaking the law.

The problem is that some tax-exempt 501(c) organizations are breaking the laws regarding political campaigning. For instance, the majority of work of a 501(c)4 organization is supposed to be the promotion of social welfare. Their primary work is NOT supposed to be lobbying or campaign spending.

Because they are tax-exempt social welfare organizations, the names of donors don't have to be reported. And this particular quality about them is what is being abused to get around campaign finance laws. The lawbreakers are forming 501c's for the express purpose of skirting election laws.

Citizens United allows individuals or organizations to spend as much as they want on third party ads. However, it does not null and void the donor reporting requirements. You still have to publish the names of any donors who contribute over $200. Or maybe it's $250, I forget offhand.

Using a 501(c)4 to get around this is illegal and should be roundly condemned by all.

They are dodging taxes and violating campaign finance laws. A double whammy, and they should be in jail.

The OP article does a piss poor job of explaining the problem.

The problem is that people are breaking the law. Now I know every law abiding Republican would not want lawbreakers to get away with breaking the law.

The problem is that some tax-exempt 501(c) organizations are breaking the laws regarding political campaigning. For instance, the majority of work of a 501(c)4 organization is supposed to be the promotion of social welfare. Their primary work is NOT supposed to be lobbying or campaign spending.

Because they are tax-exempt social welfare organizations, the names of donors don't have to be reported. And this particular quality about them is what is being abused to get around campaign finance laws. The lawbreakers are forming 501c's for the express purpose of skirting election laws.

Citizens United allows individuals or organizations to spend as much as they want on third party ads. However, it does not null and void the donor reporting requirements. You still have to publish the names of any donors who contribute over $200. Or maybe it's $250, I forget offhand.

Using a 501(c)4 to get around this is illegal and should be roundly condemned by all.

They are dodging taxes and violating campaign finance laws. A double whammy, and they should be in jail.

The John Edwards case has already proved how hard it is to prosecute campaign money misappropriations.

That being said, I believe there shouldn't be ANY limits to campaign contributions.
ONLY as long as there is full disclosure.
:thup:

if they are annymous how do we even know they are Americans?
they aren't!

2012-06-18-danzcolor5173.jpg

Forum List

Back