Democrats Rubbing Voters the Wrong Way

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
I just don't get why Democrats leaders would oppose this?...:cuckoo:

(Rasmussen Reports)
Eighty-three percent (83%) of U.S. voters say legislation should be posted online in final form and available for everyone to read before Congress votes on it. The only exception would be for extreme emergencies.
AND
Among voters, there is no partisan disagreement on the issue. Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republicans, 76% of Democrats and 92% of voters not affiliated with either party favor posting non-emergency bills online for the public to read before they are voted on by Congress.

Even if the Senators and House Representatives don't feel the need to read the bills before voting on them, sounds like Democrat, Independent and Republican citizens do..!

For some odd reason I read your thread title and came up with the phrase,

"Happy Ending"

Democrats think the average American is too stupid to make his own decisions. We should allow them to think for us!

"Happy Ending"

I really hate this, I'm just not getting it, I guess I'm particularly slow tonight...:eusa_doh:

"Happy Ending"

I really hate this, I'm just not getting it, I guess I'm particularly slow tonight...:eusa_doh:

"Rubbing the wrong way"

massage-cat1.jpg

The leadership opposed it because they claim it's "more stalling" and this crisis must be dealt with immediately!

But none of the provisions of any of the bills we've seen so far takes effect until at least a year after passage. So obviously there's no actual, real hurry for reform per se, just actual real hurry to bumrush this through before that pesky, nosy unwashed public even knows what's in it.

I think that most politicians are opposed because they don't want you to see all of the pork.

The leadership opposed it because they claim it's "more stalling" and this crisis must be dealt with immediately!

But none of the provisions of any of the bills we've seen so far takes effect until at least a year after passage. So obviously there's no actual, real hurry for reform per se, just actual real hurry to bumrush this through before that pesky, nosy unwashed public even knows what's in it.

It is stalling. The bill is available online for weeks upon weeks while it's being debated. So what exactly is the point of setting an artificial time beyond that?

It is stalling. The bill is available online for weeks upon weeks while it's being debated. So what exactly is the point of setting an artificial time beyond that?

Even if it is stalling, what's the big deal? Perhaps you haven't noticed but the American people don't trust their Government. Who knows what their going to slip in at the last moment? Why not have a final test by the public, before a vote?

Even if it is stalling, what's the big deal? Perhaps you haven't noticed but the American people don't trust their Government. Who knows what their going to slip in at the last moment? Why not have a final test by the public, before a vote?

I wonder if decades of "the government is the source of all your problems" rhetoric has been the cause of increasing public distrust in government.

You want a final test by the public? I'll go a step further. Instead of allowing people to just read the bill, why not have them vote on it? Every citizen a legislator.

I wonder if decades of "the government is the source of all your problems" rhetoric has been the cause of increasing public distrust in government.

You want a final test by the public? I'll go a step further. Instead of allowing people to just read the bill, why not have them vote on it? Every citizen a legislator.

The rhetoric is more of a result of power and philosophy struggles, I doubt that will ever change.

What about arranging it so that the Representatives, Senators, and the President , represent all the citizens.

I just don't get why Democrats leaders would oppose this?...:cuckoo:

(Rasmussen Reports)
Eighty-three percent (83%) of U.S. voters say legislation should be posted online in final form and available for everyone to read before Congress votes on it. The only exception would be for extreme emergencies.
AND
Among voters, there is no partisan disagreement on the issue. Eighty-five percent (85%) of Republicans, 76% of Democrats and 92% of voters not affiliated with either party favor posting non-emergency bills online for the public to read before they are voted on by Congress.

Even if the Senators and House Representatives don't feel the need to read the bills before voting on them, sounds like Democrat, Independent and Republican citizens do..!

So where's this report saying the Democrats in congress oppose this?

Okay since nobody on this thread wished to provide anything but comments, for the rest of us who wish to know what they're talking about, I guess they're alluding to this:

The Associated Press: Democrats nix putting pre-vote health bill online

Democrats nix putting pre-vote health bill online

(AP) – Sep 23, 2009

WASHINGTON — Senate Finance Committee Democrats have rejected a GOP amendment that would have required a health overhaul bill to be available online for 72 hours before the committee votes.

Republicans argued that transparency is an Obama administration goal. They also noted that their constituents are demanding that they read bills before voting.

Democrats said it was a delay tactic that could have postponed a vote for weeks.

The Democrats noted that unlike other committees, the Finance Committee works off conceptual language that describes policies — instead of legislative language that ultimately becomes law, and which the GOP amendment would have required.

Democrats accepted an alternate amendment to make conceptual language available online before a vote.

To see what changes the debate achieved? To see what kind of pork was inserted, and by whom?
I really don't think this is just any bill. It has the potential to affect everyone in the country directly, in a very personal manner, and the people want to know what is being voted on.

Lets say they are so incompetent that it takes them 2 weeks to get it online so we can study it for 3 days. is 2 1/2 - 3 weeks that much time for something obviously this important to people? Not to mention it was part of Obamas platform during the election.

Forum List

Back