Democrats Release Study Highlighting Strain On Military

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Document Identifies Critical Dangers to Our Armed Forces

Washington, DC—Senator Jack Reed today joined former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and former Secretary of Defense William Perry in a press conference for the release of the report “The US Military: Under Strain and at Risk.”

The report is a damning analysis of the effects of Bush Administration policies on our nation’s military. By failing to adequately plan for post-conflict Iraq, failing to send enough forces to accomplish the mission with an acceptable level of risk, and failing to adequately equip the Americans sent into harm’s way, the Bush Administration has put our ground troops under enormous strain that, if not soon relieved, will have “highly-corrosive and potentially long-term effects on the force.”

The report lays out five recommended courses of action to prepare for future military needs:

1.Fully fund the post-Iraq recovery and transformation of our ground forces.

2.Adapt the National Guard and Reserves for the future.

3.Increase the deployable Army forces by at least 30,000 personnel.

4.Rebalance U.S. military capabilities for 21st century missions such as combating terrorism and insurgency and conducting reconstruction operations.

5.Increase support for recruiting and retention efforts.

“Our men and women in uniform have performed superbly the missions we have asked them to do,” said Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid. “Unfortunately, I agree with the report’s conclusion that the Bush administration has broken faith with the American soldier and Marine. The Administration must implement the recommendations in this report to ensure that our armed forces can adapt to the new challenges of the 21st century with their customary toughness and agility, but also with the civilian leadership's commitment to giving them what they need. I hope the President will directly address this report in his State of the Union address next week.”

"For months, Congressman John Murtha and others have warned about the impact of the war in Iraq on our military, particularly our ground forces. The report prepared by Secretary Perry, Secretary Albright, and their colleagues supports these warnings and identifies the serious problems our military faces in recruiting, retention, and equipment readiness,” said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. "Solving these problems will be costly, but unless they are fully addressed soon, our nation is at risk of not having a military sufficiently capable of responding to future threats. When the President submits his budget next month, it will be an indication of whether he intends to provide the leadership necessary to offer real solutions to make our military stronger."

The Leaders’ National Security Advisory Group, commissioned by Senate Democratic Leader Reid and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi to provide advice to Congress on long-term national security challenges, is chaired by former Defense Secretary William J. Perry. Its members include: Michele A. Flournoy, Madeleine K. Albright, Graham T. Allison, Samuel R. Berger, Ashton B. Carter, Wesley K. Clark, Thomas E. Donilon, John D. Podesta, Susan E. Rice, John M. Shalikashvili, Wendy R. Sherman, Elizabeth D. Sherwood-Randall, and James B. Steinberg.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/01/mil-060125-nsag01.htm

Stephanie said:
Document Identifies Critical Dangers to Our Armed Forces

Washington, DC—Senator Jack Reed
official website
Friday, November 18, 2005
Reed Secures Millions in Economic Development Initiatives in Transportation, Treasury, and Housing and Urban Development (TTHUD) Appropriations
Congress is set to approve $13.25 million in requests by Senator Jack Reed (D-RI) for economic development initiatives and infrastructure improvements in Rhode Island. The funding, part of the Transportation, Treasury and Housing and Urban Development (TTHUD) Appropriations Bill for Fiscal Year (FY) 2006, provides money to help improve transportation infrastructure, enhance social services and education initiatives, and spur economic development.
today joined former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and former Secretary of Defense William Perry in a press conference for the release of the report “The US Military: Under Strain and at Risk.”
now that all the partisan vitae are out of the way...
The report is a damning analysis of the effects of Bush Administration policies on our nation’s military. By failing to adequately plan for post-conflict Iraq, failing to send enough forces to accomplish the mission with an acceptable level of risk, and failing to adequately equip the Americans sent into harm’s way, the Bush Administration has put our ground troops under enormous strain that, if not soon relieved, will have “highly-corrosive and potentially long-term effects on the force.”
Interesting analysis of what they have to say, they are analyzing themselves. :shocked: Have they even inquired to what the troops have to say? http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/01/body_armor_deba.html
The report lays out five recommended courses of action to prepare for future military needs:

1.Fully fund the post-Iraq recovery and transformation of our ground forces.
No details to exactly what they mean. Are they saying we are not currently spending enough for rebuilding and funding the democratic movement?
2.Adapt the National Guard and Reserves for the future.
What are we doing? Are they still being trained via Gulf War I or Vietnam? Of what are they speaking?
3.Increase the deployable Army forces by at least 30,000 personnel.
Why 30k? What is the point/goal/mission?
4.Rebalance U.S. military capabilities for 21st century missions such as combating terrorism and insurgency and conducting reconstruction operations.
Hello, they have been fighting terrorism/insurgency for nearly 5 years. WTF is this supposed to mean?
5.Increase support for recruiting and retention efforts.
OK, you, meaning Democratic party in general, slam the troops whenever you can, then say 'recruit and retain.' While for the life of me, I can't understand why such villified people continue to believe, they do. Retainment isn't the problem. However, you are doing a heck of a job to retard recruitment.
“Our men and women in uniform have performed superbly the missions we have asked them to do,” said Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid. “Unfortunately, I agree with the report’s conclusion that the Bush administration has broken faith with the American soldier and Marine. The Administration must implement the recommendations in this report to ensure that our armed forces can adapt to the new challenges of the 21st century with their customary toughness and agility, but also with the civilian leadership's commitment to giving them what they need. I hope the President will directly address this report in his State of the Union address next week.”
Actually Senator Reid, I would guess that you best hope that the troops do not have to protect you, personally. They protect you as part of the aggregate, but heaven help YOU personally.
"For months, Congressman John Murtha and others have warned about the impact of the war in Iraq on our military, particularly our ground forces. The report prepared by Secretary Perry, Secretary Albright, and their colleagues supports these warnings and identifies the serious problems our military faces in recruiting, retention, and equipment readiness,” said House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi. "Solving these problems will be costly, but unless they are fully addressed soon, our nation is at risk of not having a military sufficiently capable of responding to future threats. When the President submits his budget next month, it will be an indication of whether he intends to provide the leadership necessary to offer real solutions to make our military stronger."
I guess since it's led by Pelosi et al, this means that unless GW takes the podium for the SOTU address and says, "My fellow Americans, after the past 6 years, we've faced so many crisis, I've been incompetant in all of them, so I've decided to put the President of Iran in charge in my place, knowing his first priority is to get rid of the thorn in our side country, the mustard seed of all evil...we should all head for the nuke bomb shelters
The Leaders’ National Security Advisory Group, commissioned by Senate Democratic Leader Reid and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi to provide advice to Congress on long-term national security challenges, is chaired by former Defense Secretary William J. Perry. Its members include: Michele A. Flournoy, Madeleine K. Albright, Graham T. Allison, Samuel R. Berger, Ashton B. Carter, Wesley K. Clark, Thomas E. Donilon, John D. Podesta, Susan E. Rice, John M. Shalikashvili, Wendy R. Sherman, Elizabeth D. Sherwood-Randall, and James B. Steinberg.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/01/mil-060125-nsag01.htm

The question is why do you advertise such a thing? Even if our military was in shambled thats the last thing we should be broadcasting. it would be inviting attack.

Forum List

Back