*Democrats Raid Social Security*

While it's true that money was 'borrowed' while there were dem presidents, it is also just as true the same thing happened under republican presidents.

Regan got some
Bush I got some
Bush II got some

I've read Title VIII of the Social Security Act of August 14, 1935. Nowhere did I see anything about it being voluntary. That's just silly to say. If it were voluntary then there would be no need for the lawsuits. Tell me, which political party has been trying to destroy Social Security almost since the day it was created? Republicans started trying to destroy it in 1937. Lookup Helvering v. Davis. Which party has been trying to privatize it? Who says it's a ponzi scheme?

Oh, BTW, the president cannot 'borrow' one cent from the trust fund. Congress does it.

The trust fund has over $2.6 Trillion in it now. Some in the form of treasury bonds.

When I was 18 years old the repubs were telling the same lies they are telling now. Well, it's there for me and it will be there for everybody else unless people fall for the BS the repubs keep telling.

The 2011 tax rate is 4.2 percent for employees, 6.2 percent for employers, and 10.4 percent for self-employed people. I'm looking at a checkstub for Aug 2011. Funny, I see FICA deductions there.

You will have to pay federal taxes on your Social Security benefits if you file a federal tax return as an individual and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total income of more than $32,000.

Beginning in 1984, includes in taxable income up to one-half of Social Security (and railroad retirement tier 1) benefits received by taxpayers whose incomes exceed certain base amounts. Gee, all this time I thought Reagan was president in 1984. Guess I'll have to study my history some more.

It takes a minimum of 40 credits to be eligible for OASI. You can earn a maximum of 4 credits per year so, if it's not too much trouble, could you supply some documentation that immigrants that never paid into Social Security are receiving it now? Honestly, that's just plain false.

All of this information is freely available at the Social Security web site. It took me a total of about 10 minutes to find this. Please, do yourself a favor and get yourself educated in the facts on OASI, DI, FICA. Please.

Neither is guilt free here but you can at the very least be honest about it.

Of course I can't post the web address but it's easy to find. Look for Social Security with your search engine.

The trust fund has over $2.6 Trillion in it now. Some in the form of treasury bonds.

You mean IOUs. Impressive.

Why didnt you mention democrats raising the taxes on SS twice? Just curious.................

How do you geniuses propose to make income off the trust fund if it's not invested in US treasuries?

Its called the stock market.

Regardless of the false fears, there would be money in the fund today instead of IOUs

I think it's pretty funny that some people around here seriously think that an elected body like the Congress and an elected individual like the President would same day decide to simply stop paying VOTERS their Social Security.

I think it's pretty funny that some people around here seriously think that an elected body like the Congress and an elected individual like the President would same day decide to simply stop paying VOTERS their Social Security.

The only threat issued was from Obamas (might not go out)

How do you geniuses propose to make income off the trust fund if it's not invested in US treasuries?

Regardless of the false fears, there would be money in the fund today instead of IOUs

And you think that's safer?

No, it isn't 'money'. Stocks are a piece of paper, or an electronic entry. They are not even at par with an 'IOU'.

You like bailouts now? Well you'd really love them if all of SS were held hostage to a few too big to fail bankers someday in the future.

The only threat issued was from Obamas (might not go out)

The Democrats asked for a clean debt ceiling bill long before the radical right in Congress threatened to destroy the country financially.

While it's true that money was 'borrowed' while there were dem presidents, it is also just as true the same thing happened under republican presidents.

Regan got some
Bush I got some
Bush II got some

I've read Title VIII of the Social Security Act of August 14, 1935. Nowhere did I see anything about it being voluntary. That's just silly to say. If it were voluntary then there would be no need for the lawsuits. Tell me, which political party has been trying to destroy Social Security almost since the day it was created? Republicans started trying to destroy it in 1937. Lookup Helvering v. Davis. Which party has been trying to privatize it? Who says it's a ponzi scheme?

Oh, BTW, the president cannot 'borrow' one cent from the trust fund. Congress does it.

When I was 18 years old the repubs were telling the same lies they are telling now. Well, it's there for me and it will be there for everybody else unless people fall for the BS the repubs keep telling.

The 2011 tax rate is 4.2 percent for employees, 6.2 percent for employers, and 10.4 percent for self-employed people. I'm looking at a checkstub for Aug 2011. Funny, I see FICA deductions there.

You will have to pay federal taxes on your Social Security benefits if you file a federal tax return as an individual and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total income of more than $32,000.

Beginning in 1984, includes in taxable income up to one-half of Social Security (and railroad retirement tier 1) benefits received by taxpayers whose incomes exceed certain base amounts. Gee, all this time I thought Reagan was president in 1984. Guess I'll have to study my history some more.

It takes a minimum of 40 credits to be eligible for OASI. You can earn a maximum of 4 credits per year so, if it's not too much trouble, could you supply some documentation that immigrants that never paid into Social Security are receiving it now? Honestly, that's just plain false.

All of this information is freely available at the Social Security web site. It took me a total of about 10 minutes to find this. Please, do yourself a favor and get yourself educated in the facts on OASI, DI, FICA. Please.

Of course I can't post the web address but it's easy to find. Look for Social Security with your search engine.

Why didnt you mention democrats raising the taxes on SS twice? Just curious.................
it was not mentioned because they didn't raise the taxes on SS twice, they raised them, on their own, only once.....under Clinton, the other time taxes were imposed on SS was a bipartisan vote, with Reagan signing the Bill.

In addition to this Chesswar's post is regurgitated SPAM and entirely FALSE, so I've come to find out!

For Everyone: Please inform yourself:

snopes.com: Social Security Changes

Sorry bout that,

Well I just read that SS is solvent through 2037. Not sure what happens after that.

As for the lockbox. LBJ with his super majority House and Senate was the first to actually raid it. Every prez thereafter has done the same.

Anyone really believe that the Fed is going to pay it all back??

How could there be an excess to SS?? That money was payed in by Americans to aide with retirement so how could there be a excess amount of money??

1. Most people die off before they get anything, thats how.
2. Without dependents your estate gets zero from SS.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Most people's houses don't burn down, but they buy fire insurance anyway.

And you think that's safer?

No, it isn't 'money'. Stocks are a piece of paper, or an electronic entry. They are not even at par with an 'IOU'.

You like bailouts now? Well you'd really love them if all of SS were held hostage to a few too big to fail bankers someday in the future.

Yes safer. This last downturn was due to government interference. You could keep it limited to select investments with strong penalties for mismanagement.

The other plus is it would cause congress to consider their decisions effects on the market.

I dont see how it could lose.

Regan got some
Bush I got some
Bush II got some

The biggest Social Security reform was under Reagan in 1983.

Regan got some
Bush I got some
Bush II got some

Doesnt change what I said.............

Regan got some
Bush I got some
Bush II got some

Fact....Obama in pleading for Congress to up the debt ceiling he stated clearly that he was doubtful the August Social Security checks would be mailed out.
Ok....If there's $2 trillion in this trust fund that no one seems to know it's location, why then would Obama issue such a warning?
I will tell you..Read carefully...THERE IS NO MONEY......The so-called SS Trust Fund is stocked with $2 trillion in IOU's......
Why is it you people are so hell bent on preserving a system that is a sinking ship?
No one wants to eliminate SS. Anyone who says that is spewing spin bullshit to get votes.

Regan got some
Bush I got some
Bush II got some

it was not mentioned because they didn't raise the taxes on SS twice, they raised them, on their own, only once.....under Clinton, the other time taxes were imposed on SS was a bipartisan vote, with Reagan signing the Bill.

In addition to this Chesswar's post is regurgitated SPAM and entirely FALSE, so I've come to find out!

For Everyone: Please inform yourself:

snopes.com: Social Security Changes
Never quote snopes again.
Iron clad proof exists that the people who run snopes have a far left liberal agenda and have deliberately omitted facts that counter their biases.

Doesnt change what I said.............

Taxation of benefits brings in about 22 billion a year. How do you propose to make that up?

Forum List

Back