Democrats Ponder New Strategies On Abortion, Including Welcoming More Pro-Life Folks

acludem said:
Most Democrats frankly aren't that concerned with abortion. That's an issue the right likes to use to divide our country. It's the same with guns and gays. These are the right wing wedge issues that bitterly divide America to the delight of right-wing conservatives everywhere.

I personally hope my party doesn't use abortion or any other such wedge issues to make decisions about the future of our party.

acludem

If this were true it would not be a portion of the platform. Platforms are created and began at the caucus level, they vote for delegates, those delegates vote from among them for higher delagates. If this issue was unimportant to most Democrats it would never be an issue for the election of those Delegates and would not be included in the platform. Since it is part of the platform it is clear that it may be unimportant to you but not to most Democrats.

Just as the choice of life is in the platform for the Republicans. I believed that it was "unimportant" to most Republicans as well, I went to the caucus and learned the difference, it is most important to those who attend the caucuses. At first I registered Republican because I believe that it is closer to the Libertarian beliefs, this allowed me to attend the caucus as a Republican. When I went I found that if you want to be a delegate at that level you will need to have a stand on the abortion issue as most that show to the caucuses are the religious portion of the party. I have since changed my registration to Libertarian.

If you wish to change the structure of the platform, those who think it is "unimportant" need to go to the caucus and send delegates that feel the same way otherwise you, like the Republicans, have delegates that are on the extreme wing of the party and will continue to keep that as a platform issue.

lolita715 said:
They are not pro abortion, they are pro choice!!! Kerry was trying to get the point across that he does not like it when an abortion takes place, but he thinks woman should have a choice!!! Democrats dont like abortion, they dont like the practice, they just think a woman has the right to choose.

What's the difference......either way the "choice" leads to death! Just curious, Im betting you are very against cutting down trees and the drilling of oil in Alaska cuz you care about the Caribou yet killing unborn babies is okay with you??

acludem said:
Most Democrats frankly aren't that concerned with abortion. That's an issue the right likes to use to divide our country. It's the same with guns and gays. These are the right wing wedge issues that bitterly divide America to the delight of right-wing conservatives everywhere.

I personally hope my party doesn't use abortion or any other such wedge issues to make decisions about the future of our party.

acludem

True there are lot of Dems that don't give a shit about saving babies lives and just want the votes, however there are some that are pro-life, I have worked with some, Lesbians for Life etc.

To say that right wingers use the issue of abortion as a wedge issue is rather arrogant of you, obviously you don't know any pro-life people or you would know that it's one issue that 99% of pro-life people take very seriously........It's not about ruining people's fun, or exploiting dead babies for votes.......It's flat out what it is period!!!!!!

nakedemperor said:
That being said, it you don't want a kid, don't have sex; you can get pregnant even if you use protection.

Wow. I think that is the first thing you have posted that I agree with you on.

The whole previous part, ok, it is to be debated on another thread. I just don't want to get into it.

Lolita is the only one getting her undies in a bunch. Everyone else keeps asking her simple questions, and she keeps accusing them of attacking her. I think she knows they are right, and is looking for a way to redeem herself, and make a point.

fuzzykitten99 said:
Lolita is the only one getting her undies in a bunch. Everyone else keeps asking her simple questions, and she keeps accusing them of attacking her. I think she knows they are right, and is looking for a way to redeem herself, and make a point.

I think she's ruffled Bonnie's feathers a little more than that suggests =)

Bonnie said:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Think so huh??

Yeah =)

P.S. My girlfriend, looking over my shoulder: "I bet Bonnie doesn't have boobs like that (refering to your avatar). Probably why she put the picture up."

lollllll

Prove her wrong, bon.

nakedemperor said:
Yeah =)

P.S. My girlfriend, looking over my shoulder: "I bet Bonnie doesn't have boobs like that (refering to your avatar). Probably why she put the picture up."

lollllll

Prove her wrong, bon.

10 outta 10 guys declared Bonnie to be a hottie. :)

Iff'n your girlfriend wants to take jabs at people she doesn't know, she outta make an account...

(Sorry - you know I think you're cool, but that was just tacky...and I usually give you credit for rising above...)

Shattered said:

Iff'n your girlfriend wants to take jabs at people she doesn't know, she outta make an account...

(Sorry - you know I think you're cool, but that was just tacky...and I usually give you credit for rising above...)

If she did get an account well that would make an interesting poster. someone who wants to date NE she must be freakin nuts! Just joshing with you;) :cheers2:

nakedemperor said:
Yeah =)

lollllll

Prove her wrong, bon.

Don't need to. ;)

Shattered said:

Wow Shattered, thanks for sticking up for one of your own here. Much appreciated!! :beer:

One of my very dearest friends is a committed pro-lifer, and even she admitted she thinks the GOP uses abortion as a wedge issue.

acludem

how about more effective counseling for women/girls pondering abortion?

how about fixing the fucked adoption system in this country so women could have the kids and know there was a pretty damn good chance the kid would get a good family and not spend years in some low funded state-run hell?

how about giving people options instead of boiling it down to "get an abortion or else"?

there are a number of things we could all work together on to reduce the number of abortions and the "need" for them... but we'd rather argue over baby killers and a woman's right....

NATO AIR said:

how about fixing the fucked adoption system in this country so women could have the kids and know there was a pretty damn good chance the kid would get a good family and not spend years in some low funded state-run hell?

how about giving people options instead of boiling it down to "get an abortion or else"?

there are a number of things we could all work together on to reduce the number of abortions and the "need" for them... but we'd rather argue over baby killers and a woman's right....

Already being done! Many organizations out there provide a place to live, job counseling, and adoption services if the mom chooses that option. The hard part is getting them into one of these facilities before NARAL gets ahold of them and convinces them their only option is murder.

Shattered said:

Haha she wasn't making a jab, she was just commenting on the cartoon chick's amazing rack. No offense intended, I thought it'd be an amusing tidbit to share. :D

NATO AIR said:

Why not just teach the little 10 year olds to keep their flies zipped :baby: and then that parental-consent jackcrap wouldn't be a problem.

Bonnie said:
Already being done! Many organizations out there provide a place to live, job counseling, and adoption services if the mom chooses that option. The hard part is getting them into one of these facilities before NARAL gets ahold of them and convinces them their only option is murder.

that is good but i have not seen it in the 5 major areas I've been in (D.C./Baltimore, Chicago, Raleigh-Durham, NYC and Miami) it needs to be much more widespread and I do agree with you about NARAL being a very bad influence on the ones who lack counsel

another thing is this, you have to have realistic sex education, not this abstinence only crap.... that works for some kids,but not all, and you should be reaching for as many kids as possible, not just the 30-40% that are going to do the right thing... you have to think about the kids who are, naturally, going to screw up.

NATO AIR said:
that is good but i have not seen it in the 5 major areas I've been in (D.C./Baltimore, Chicago, Raleigh-Durham, NYC and Miami) it needs to be much more widespread and I do agree with you about NARAL being a very bad influence on the ones who lack counsel

another thing is this, you have to have realistic sex education, not this abstinence only crap.... that works for some kids,but not all, and you should be reaching for as many kids as possible, not just the 30-40% that are going to do the right thing... you have to think about the kids who are, naturally, going to screw up.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about abstinence only being taught in school, it's much more the other way around with abstinence getting very little attention. Truly I think the sex ed is pretty realistic in schools starting with 7& 8 year olds being taught how to put condoms on cucumbers.........Nice way to take away their innocence quickly.

Forum List

Back