Democrats Ponder New Strategies On Abortion, Including Welcoming More Pro-Life Folks

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
can't be bad for anybody

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6700571/site/newsweek/

Dec. 20 issue - The week after Thanksgiving, dozens of Democratic Party loyalists gathered at AFL-CIO headquarters for a closed-door confab on the election. John Kerry dropped by to thank members of the liberal 527 coalition America Votes. When Ellen Malcolm, president of the pro-choice political network EMILY's List, asked about the future direction of the party, Kerry tackled one of the Democrats' core tenets: abortion rights. He told the group they needed new ways to make people understand they didn't like abortion. Democrats also needed to welcome more pro-life candidates into the party, he said. "There was a gasp in the room," says Nancy Keenan, the new president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

It might have sounded shocking, but John Kerry isn't alone in taking a new look at how the party is handling the explosive topic of abortion. As Democratic strategists and lawmakers quietly discuss how to straddle the nation's Red-Blue divide, abortion has become a prime target. "The issue and the message need to be completely rethought," says one strategist. Along with gay marriage, abortion is at the epicenter of the culture wars, another example used by Republicans to highlight the Democrats' supposed moral relativism. Polls show that most Americans support legal abortion, yet they also favor some restrictions, particularly after the first trimester. Strategists say that's where many Democrats are, too—the public just doesn't know it. With pro-life Sen. Harry Reid newly installed as Senate minority leader, Democrats are eager to show off their big tent.

No one's suggesting that the party abandon its pro-choice roots. With George W. Bush expected to nominate as many as three presumably pro-life Supreme Court justices this term, advocates worry that the right to an abortion is more imperiled than it's been in decades. But as a step toward ultimately preserving that basic right, some Democrats now favor embracing common-sense restrictions on it. One possible initiative: a bill banning third-trimester abortions with broad exceptions for the life and health of the mother.

Democratic lawmakers have found themselves boxed in by a pro-choice orthodoxy that fears the slippery slope—the idea that allowing even the smallest limitation on abortion only paves the way for outlawing it altogether. As a result, most Democrats opposed popular measures like "Laci and Conner's Law"—which makes it a separate federal crime to kill a fetus—and a ban on the gruesome procedure called partial-birth abortion.

A small group of pro-choice Democrats—mostly from Red States—bucked that trend, voting for one or both measures. Still, the issue is so thorny that nearly every lawmaker contacted by NEWSWEEK declined to discuss those votes or the topic in general. But a handful of those senators—including Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu, Arkansas Sens. Blanche Lincoln and Mark Pryor, and Indiana Sen. Evan Bayh—have joined a new progressive advocacy group, Third Way, that hopes to move the party to the center on a number of cultural issues, including abortion. The effort is headed by a team of strategists who helped the Dems find middle ground on gun safety.

It's clear that challenging the old orthodoxy won't be easy. Many advocates blame Kerry for not talking about abortion enough—especially the fate of the Supreme Court. "He did not help the cause," says Planned Parenthood president Gloria Feldt. Other pro-choicers worry that changing gears on abortion will look like flip-flopping. "If we try to be fake Republicans, that's not going to work," says Colorado Rep. Diana DeGette, co-chair of the House pro-choice caucus. "It would be a cynical political move." But some moderate pro-choicers already have voting records to back up their convictions. That's proof, strategists say, that they don't have to choose between values and votes.

© 2004 Newsweek, Inc.

They are starting to figure out that the pro abortion crowd is dwindling. Ironically the dwindling is occuring because pro abortionists practice what they preach and abort their children. With fewer pro abortionists having children to replace them and their values they are destroying themselves as a political constituency.

They are starting to figure out that the pro abortion crowd is dwindling. Ironically the dwindling is occuring because pro abortionists practice what they preach and abort their children. With fewer pro abortionists having children to replace them and their values they are destroying themselves as a political constituency.
They are not pro abortion, they are pro choice!!! Kerry was trying to get the point across that he does not like it when an abortion takes place, but he thinks woman should have a choice!!! Democrats dont like abortion, they dont like the practice, they just think a woman has the right to choose.

They are not pro abortion, they are pro choice!!!

Pro-choice is pro-abortion. If you allow the woman to choose, you allow the woman to kill.

Shattered said:
Pro-choice is pro-abortion. If you allow the woman to choose, you allow the woman to kill.[/QU
so the people that aprove of the death penalty are pro murder?

lolita715 said:
Shattered said:
Pro-choice is pro-abortion. If you allow the woman to choose, you allow the woman to kill.[/QU
so the people that aprove of the death penalty are pro murder?

You're asking the wrong person, toots.. I fully believe in an eye for an eye. You kill, you die next.

Shattered said:
You're asking the wrong person, toots.. I fully believe in an eye for an eye. You kill, you die next.
I think people feel that democrats are barbaric because they are pro choice. I dont think the practice of abortion is a good thing, I dont think anyone does, but I just think a woman should have a choice. Her body, her choice.

lolita715 said:
I think people feel that democrats are barbaric because they are pro choice. I dont think the practice of abortion is a good thing, I dont think anyone does, but I just think a woman should have a choice. Her body, her choice.

She does have a choice. To keep her fucking legs closed if she doesn't want a child. (Note: We're not discussing rape, so don't even bring that up - it's an entirely different issue.)

Shattered said:
She does have a choice. To keep her fucking legs closed if she doesn't want a child. (Note: We're not discussing rape, so don't even bring that up - it's an entirely different issue.)
Thats your opinion, some people make mistakes. Some people should not have kids period. If we elminated abortion this country would grow deeper into debt!!! We could just put walfare centers in place of the abortion centers!! Im just saying people should be alowed to make choices about THEIR own bodies!! I really dont want to get in a fight, I know we have opposing veiws, but I would hope this time we could just have a converstion without name calling

lolita715 said:
Thats your opinion, some people make mistakes. Some people should not have kids period. If we elminated abortion this country would grow deeper into debt!!! We could just put walfare centers in place of the abortion centers!! Im just saying people should be alowed to make choices about THEIR own bodies!! I really dont want to get in a fight, I know we have opposing veiws, but I would hope this time we could just have a converstion without name calling

There is no "mistake" about having unprotected sex. Period. If we eliminated abortion (except in rare, necessary circumstances), people might learn to take responsibility for their actions.

It's a simple concept to grasp. If you're not ready to be a mother for the next 18+ years of your life, you're not ready to have unprotected sex. How much more simple does it need to be? If you willingly have unprotected sex, get pregnant, and get an abortion, you should be tried for first degree murder. Your body is your own to control. Control it in a responsible manner.

Shattered said:
There is no "mistake" about having unprotected sex. Period. If we eliminated abortion (except in rare, necessary circumstances), people might learn to take responsibility for their actions.

It's a simple concept to grasp. If you're not ready to be a mother for the next 18+ years of your life, you're not ready to have unprotected sex. How much more simple does it need to be? If you willingly have unprotected sex, get pregnant, and get an abortion, you should be tried for first degree murder. Your body is your own to control. Control it in a responsible manner.
People get can become pregnent other ways than unprotected sex. And if your going to let them have abortions, how would we regulate that?? If you believe a person should be charged with first degree murder for an abortion, then it should be the same thing for someone that preforms in a death penalty. I know how simple it is to have protected sex thats not the point, once again I feel it's a woman's choice.

People get can become pregnent other ways than unprotected sex.

Really... And here I thought sex, or artificial insemination were the only ways to conceive.. Do tell...

Or, are you going to tell me that someone is going to go through all the time and expense to be artificially inseminated, and then change their mind and get an abortion? I don't think so...

Shattered said:
Really... And here I thought sex, or artificial insemination were the only ways to conceive.. Do tell...

Or, are you going to tell me that someone is going to go through all the time and expense to be artificially inseminated, and then change their mind and get an abortion? I don't think so...
no I was talking about rape and incest, But you said that under those circumstaces an exception should be made, but how would are gov. regulate it????? They couldnt. You cant tell some people they can have an abortion and tell someone else they can. Anyone could say they were raped, to have an abortion. But I still am pro choice , and you probably think Im horrible, but thats how I feel. You never responded about the executor in a death penelty case????

So... Someone's going to what... file rape charges 6 weeks prior to having sex, just in case? Or.. Are they going to claim rape when they go in for said abortion, and then what.. say they just forgot to report it? C'mon.. You can do better than that.

Someones going to claim incest... against who? Their father? Just to have an abortion, they're going to put their father through the pain and humiliation, as well as the legal end of things just to have an abortion? C'mon.. You can do better than that.

Shattered said:
So... Someone's going to what... file rape charges 6 weeks prior to having sex, just in case? Or.. Are they going to claim rape when they go in for said abortion, and then what.. say they just forgot to report it? C'mon.. You can do better than that.

Someones going to claim incest... against who? Their father? Just to have an abortion, they're going to put their father through the pain and humiliation, as well as the legal end of things just to have an abortion? C'mon.. You can do better than that.
Tell me how the gov. can regulate who can have abortions, if we regulate them??? They cant. Any one could claim rape after the fact, they could lie about it too at any time. If they had sex and a couple days later found out they were pregnent, they could say they were to scared to report it before. If you can prove it to me we could regulate this I will believe we could, even though I think every woman should have the right

You can find out you're pregnant a couple days after having sex? Wow. That's some handy dandy EPT thing you've got going there. You should be sure and market that ASAP. Doctors can't even tell, until 24-48 hours after a missed period.

You're grasping.

So, tell me why you think it's so damned important for a woman to be able to "choose" to kill an unborn child? That damn well borders on premediated murder, in my opinion, and should equate to a life sentence, or the death penalty. If forced with that option, don't you think more women would start taking responsibility for their actions?

Shattered said:
You can find out you're pregnant a couple days after having sex? Wow. That's some handy dandy EPT thing you've got going there. You should be sure and market that ASAP. Doctors can't even tell, until 24-48 hours after a missed period.

You're grasping.

So, tell me why you think it's so damned important for a woman to be able to "choose" to kill an unborn child? That damn well borders on premediated murder, in my opinion, and should equate to a life sentence, or the death penalty. If forced with that option, don't you think more women would start taking responsibility for their actions?
They should be able to choose because it's their own body!!! No one should be able to tell you what you can do with their body. You want the gov. to tell you what goes on with your body??? Give up your rights? Woman should be responsible. but they also have rights.

lolita715 said:
They should be able to choose because it's their own body!!! No one should be able to tell you what you can do with their body. You want the gov. to tell you what goes on with your body??? Give up your rights?

It's not their body they're killing! It's AN UNBORN CHILD! IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT CHILD IN YOUR BODY, DON'T FUCKING PUT IT THERE.

Shattered said:
It's not their body they're killing! It's AN UNBORN CHILD! IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT CHILD IN YOUR BODY, DON'T FUCKING PUT IT THERE.
why do you keep asking for my opinion if your just going to get pissed. I feel very strong about being pro choice, sorry if you cant handle it, its how I feel. So the gov. should have control over your unborn baby, not you??

lolita715 said:
why do you keep asking for my opinion if your just going to get pissed. I feel very strong about being pro choice, sorry if you cant handle it, its how I feel. So the gov. should have control over your unborn baby, not you??

If you can't make a responsible decision on your own, then yes, those decisions should be made for you.

The question should not be "Wanna get laid?" The question should be "Wanna be a mommy?" Maybe THAT would wake people up.

Forum List

Back