Democrats new plan, reelect us so we can improve health care

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Key White House allies are dramatically shifting their attempts to defend health care legislation, abandoning claims that it will reduce costs and deficit and instead stressing a promise to "improve it."
The messaging shift was circulated this afternoon on a conference call and PowerPoint presentation organized by Families USA — one of the central groups in the push for the initial legislation. The call was led by a staffer for the Herndon Alliance, which includes leading labor groups and other health care allies. It was based on polling from three top Democratic pollsters: John Anzalone, Celinda Lake and Stan Greenberg.
The confidential presentation, available in full here and provided to POLITICO by a source on the call, suggests that Democrats are acknowledging the failure of their predictions that the health care legislation would grow more popular after its passage, as its benefits became clear and rhetoric cooled. Instead, the presentation is designed to win over a skeptical public, and to defend the legislation — and in particular the individual mandate — from a push for repeal.

New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

I thought they had already fixed it, does that mean that we were right to think it is a disaster waiting to happen?

Do you dispute the facts, or just the fact that Democrats are admitting they have failed to sell health care?

Democrats new plan, reelect us so we can improve health care

As opposed to the Republican plan of "attack the Hispanics, attack the gays, attack the president, attach the unemployed, attack the poor". Is there a "theme" here?

Where is the part where Republicans help the Middle Class? Oh, sorry, "Attack the Middle Class". Well, at least Republicans are consistent.

Savor this moment in US politics my fellow Conservatives. For now is the time when the American People have finally awoke to what the Democrat Party is, and what it stands for.

This Crap is what Moderates in the Republican party have been pushing for Republicans to be more like. The next 2 Election cycles are going to be about Reducing Spending, the Deficit, and the Power, size and influence of the Federal Government.

Most like not again in our life times will we be able to witness such an utter collapse of the Lefts agenda in action. Like I said. Savor it.

Do you dispute the facts, or just the fact that Democrats are admitting they have failed to sell health care?

I'm not disputing that Families USA apparently made a PowerPoint, I'm just wondering where the rest of this is coming from. It looks like the PowerPoint offers messaging suggestions and the focus here seems to be on the 13th slide:

Use transition or bridge language to meet public where they are and relax their defenses. "The law is not perfect but it does good things and helps many people. Now we'll work to improve it."​

And the 24th slide:

Don't:
  • assume public knows the health reform law passed or if they know it passed understand how it will affect them;
  • list benefits outside of any personal context;
  • barrage voters with a long list of benefits;
  • use complex language or insider jargon;
  • use heated political rhetoric or congratulatory language;
  • say the law will reduce costs and deficit.

So in reference to their PowerPoint, I suppose I'd have to ask: so what?

Bottom line is that any legislation so massive in scope would only be a starting point. Obviously, improvements need to be made. However, until the current legistlation is actually implemented, it is impossible to know where and how many changes will be necessary to actually improve things.

What truly bothers me about the Republicans, at this point, is that their only support is to rescind this legislation and go back to where we were without even one idea or proposal as to how they will improve healthcare. If Republicans had any ideas, maybe they should have put them into play when they had the opportunity. This idea that everything was fine the way it was is pure bullshit. Costs have more than doubled in real dollars over the last decade while the Republicans were leading the way. And now we are to believe that they have all the answers? Give me a break. I'm so sick of the left/right debacle we have created in this country. Where are the real thinkers that want to actually solve some of our problems with something more than pure political rhetoric?

Bottom line is that any legislation so massive in scope would only be a starting point. Obviously, improvements need to be made. However, until the current legistlation is actually implemented, it is impossible to know where and how many changes will be necessary to actually improve things.

What truly bothers me about the Republicans, at this point, is that their only support is to rescind this legislation and go back to where we were without even one idea or proposal as to how they will improve healthcare. If Republicans had any ideas, maybe they should have put them into play when they had the opportunity. This idea that everything was fine the way it was is pure bullshit. Costs have more than doubled in real dollars over the last decade while the Republicans were leading the way. And now we are to believe that they have all the answers? Give me a break. I'm so sick of the left/right debacle we have created in this country. Where are the real thinkers that want to actually solve some of our problems with something more than pure political rhetoric?

Let me get this straight.

You admit that this thing is so large and unwieldy that it cannot work, and you want to wait to see just how bad it is going to screw things up before you add more to it?

And you think the Republicans are crazy because they would rather scrap something that even you know will not work, and try to start over before it is to late.

:confused:

Let me get this straight.

You admit that this thing is so large and unwieldy that it cannot work, and you want to wait to see just how bad it is going to screw things up before you add more to it?

And you think the Republicans are crazy because they would rather scrap something that even you know will not work, and try to start over before it is to late.

:confused:

To be honest with you, the most important part of this legislation for me is working. I lost my insurance because I moved from one state to another and have pre-existing conditions. While the cost of treatment is very little, I am still uninsurable according to the insurance companies, including the one that used to insure me. So through no fault of my own, I lost my coverage, unless you want to tell me that I shouldn't have moved.

Bottom line is that I now have coverage. While it was much cheaper just paying out of pocket, I had no protection or coverage in the event I had some type of major illness, say a heart attack. And since I actually make enough money to be able to afford insurance, without it, I could be wiped out financially. And all because I have a genetic disease that one in every 250 Americans has, although most don't even know it.

So yea, I'll go with this as a starting point. Again, the Republicans never offered a starting point. And until we see how this all plays out, nobody knows for certain the impact of this legislation. At this point it is nothing more than speculation.

If your problem is as you described you could have had insurance without this new law. Carry catastrophic insurance, it is a lot less expensive than regular coverage, covers what you are worried about, and does not preclude you if you have a pre existing condition.

BTW, the portion of Obamacare that covers pre existing conditions has not gone into effect yet, so the law has not helped you one iota, but thanks for giving it the credit it does not deserve. As of yet no one is required to sell you insurance if you have a pre existing condition. Thank the insurance company that sold you the policy not the law.

If your problem is as you described you could have had insurance without this new law. Carry catastrophic insurance, it is a lot less expensive than regular coverage, covers what you are worried about, and does not preclude you if you have a pre existing condition.

BTW, the portion of Obamacare that covers pre existing conditions has not gone into effect yet, so the law has not helped you one iota, but thanks for giving it the credit it does not deserve. As of yet no one is required to sell you insurance if you have a pre existing condition. Thank the insurance company that sold you the policy not the law.

Are you seriously that stupid? First of all, because of my condition, no insurance company would sell me insurance, period. And in Ohio, there was no high risk pool offered. Now, due to the healthcare legislation, high risk pools have been mandated for every state. In some states such as Ohio, a private company has taken on the high risk pool while in others, the federal government is running the high risk pool. The rates are a bit higher than for a similar policy that is not considered high risk, but it is still in the affordable range. My policy is costing me $392 per month with a $2500 deductible.

So now I have insurance. Before this legislation, I could not get it, not even catastrophic insurance. Please know what you are talking about if you choose to contribute to the converstation.

Forum List

Back