Democrats.. Looking for the Exit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lumpy 1, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,840
    Looks like allot of Democrats are exiting the "Big Tent".

In December, the number of Americans identifying themselves as Democrats fell to the lowest level recorded in more than seven years of monthly tracking by Rasmussen Reports.

Currently, 35.5% of American adults view themselves as Democrats. That’s down from 36.0 a month ago and from 37.8% in October. Prior to December, the lowest total ever recorded for Democrats was 35.9%, a figure that was reached twice in 2005. See the History of Party Trends from January 2004 to the present.

The number of Republicans inched up by a point in December to 34.0%. That’s the highest total for Republicans since December 2007, just before the 2008 presidential campaign season began.

Partisan Trends - Rasmussen Reports™

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Political parties have been killing us for years, I wish everyone was just a voter and didn't assign themselves to a 'party'.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    unlike the troll who wrote the O/P, you raise an interesting point. But the reality is that each party has such different platforms that one is always going to represent people's views more than the other.

there should be four times the number of major parties, though. that would give everyone a voice.

also,for the trolling O/P it's not "democrats" where support is eroding. it's "independents" and they always hate everyone in power.

4. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,426
    Right, but it would be nice if had to vote on the merits and views of the candidate rather than the party ID next to their name. That's how our local elections are here in South Carolina. They are non-partisan, no party identifier on the ballot. As a result of that, we seem to get a lot more independent candidates elected here. I don't like people being able to walk into a voting booth and be out in 30 second because they selected the "All Republican candidates" button or the "All Democrat candidates" button.

5. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    When a former local union president (IBEW) bought the local True Value Hardware store where I’d done business for a long time, we soon “got into it” over politics. Clearly he was a liberal, and I being a conservative, don’t keep it private. Once I’d learned where he stood I backed off because I prefer a good relationship with those I do business with.

But he was at the local Tea Party event in September and it was pretty clear from our conversation there, that he had switched sides politically as to his view of the present administration. I would never have believed it was possible. My wife reports the same phenomenon at social venues with her professional colleagues. Folks, who were adamantly “pro Obama” before the election, are now listening quietly to the "other side" – for once.

These are telling signs.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Parties are not the problem, blind loyalty to them is. We've done very well in this country when we've given Congress to one party, and the Presidency to the other. Great feature of our system you don't get most anywhere else.

Election were held today, I'd vote Obama if we had GOP+Blue Dog majority in Congress, and Romney (likely GOP winner in '12) if we still had 60 Dem senators

7. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +629
    I agree with your "the parties are not the problem" statement. But after that your rationale' is faulty. "Its the money stupid" should be the battle cry. There is entirely too much money in politics, whereby the "candidates" are bought, and do the bidding of their owners instead of who they represent. They are simple whores looking for contributions. we need term limits and campaign money limits.

Even Obama who "promised" to open up the negotiations on CSPAN found out that is not how sausage is made.

8. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Here in Iowa one has to list either one party or the other when registering to vote or at least it was a mandated that a choice had to be listed when we registered to vote here several years back.

9. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    Parties are the problem.

They become 'machines' and the supporters become people who sacrifice morlas and common sense to 'win.'

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sounds like primaries only, or in IA would be caucus, no? General elections or run offs like this, no party affiliation is necessary.