Democrats.. Looking for the Exit

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
Looks like allot of Democrats are exiting the "Big Tent".

In December, the number of Americans identifying themselves as Democrats fell to the lowest level recorded in more than seven years of monthly tracking by Rasmussen Reports.

Currently, 35.5% of American adults view themselves as Democrats. That’s down from 36.0 a month ago and from 37.8% in October. Prior to December, the lowest total ever recorded for Democrats was 35.9%, a figure that was reached twice in 2005. See the History of Party Trends from January 2004 to the present.

The number of Republicans inched up by a point in December to 34.0%. That’s the highest total for Republicans since December 2007, just before the 2008 presidential campaign season began.

Partisan Trends - Rasmussen Reports™

Political parties have been killing us for years, I wish everyone was just a voter and didn't assign themselves to a 'party'.

unlike the troll who wrote the O/P, you raise an interesting point. But the reality is that each party has such different platforms that one is always going to represent people's views more than the other.

there should be four times the number of major parties, though. that would give everyone a voice.

also,for the trolling O/P it's not "democrats" where support is eroding. it's "independents" and they always hate everyone in power.

Political parties have been killing us for years, I wish everyone was just a voter and didn't assign themselves to a 'party'.

unlike the troll who wrote the O/P, you raise an interesting point. But the reality is that each party has such different platforms that one is always going to represent people's views more than the other.

Right, but it would be nice if had to vote on the merits and views of the candidate rather than the party ID next to their name. That's how our local elections are here in South Carolina. They are non-partisan, no party identifier on the ballot. As a result of that, we seem to get a lot more independent candidates elected here. I don't like people being able to walk into a voting booth and be out in 30 second because they selected the "All Republican candidates" button or the "All Democrat candidates" button.

Looks like allot of Democrats are exiting the "Big Tent".

In December, the number of Americans identifying themselves as Democrats fell to the lowest level recorded in more than seven years of monthly tracking by Rasmussen Reports.

When a former local union president (IBEW) bought the local True Value Hardware store where I’d done business for a long time, we soon “got into it” over politics. Clearly he was a liberal, and I being a conservative, don’t keep it private. Once I’d learned where he stood I backed off because I prefer a good relationship with those I do business with.

But he was at the local Tea Party event in September and it was pretty clear from our conversation there, that he had switched sides politically as to his view of the present administration. I would never have believed it was possible. My wife reports the same phenomenon at social venues with her professional colleagues. Folks, who were adamantly “pro Obama” before the election, are now listening quietly to the "other side" – for once.

These are telling signs.

Last edited:

Parties are not the problem, blind loyalty to them is. We've done very well in this country when we've given Congress to one party, and the Presidency to the other. Great feature of our system you don't get most anywhere else.

Election were held today, I'd vote Obama if we had GOP+Blue Dog majority in Congress, and Romney (likely GOP winner in '12) if we still had 60 Dem senators

Parties are not the problem, blind loyalty to them is. We've done very well in this country when we've given Congress to one party, and the Presidency to the other. Great feature of our system you don't get most anywhere else.

Election were held today, I'd vote Obama if we had GOP+Blue Dog majority in Congress, and Romney (likely GOP winner in '12) if we still had 60 Dem senators

I agree with your "the parties are not the problem" statement. But after that your rationale' is faulty. "Its the money stupid" should be the battle cry. There is entirely too much money in politics, whereby the "candidates" are bought, and do the bidding of their owners instead of who they represent. They are simple whores looking for contributions. we need term limits and campaign money limits.

Even Obama who "promised" to open up the negotiations on CSPAN found out that is not how sausage is made.

Here in Iowa one has to list either one party or the other when registering to vote or at least it was a mandated that a choice had to be listed when we registered to vote here several years back.

Parties are the problem.

They become 'machines' and the supporters become people who sacrifice morlas and common sense to 'win.'

Here in Iowa one has to list either one party or the other when registering to vote or at least it was a mandated that a choice had to be listed when we registered to vote here several years back.

Sounds like primaries only, or in IA would be caucus, no? General elections or run offs like this, no party affiliation is necessary.

Sounds like primaries only, or in IA would be caucus, no? General elections or run offs like this, no party affiliation is necessary.
The only reason we registered was to vote for the main election and yes it was required to designate R. or D. I., was not an option. I specifically grumbled about it because I while I may lean towards R values I vote and registered myself as an I. when I ran for a local public office.

Last edited:

there should be four times the number of major parties, though. that would give everyone a voice.

also,for the trolling O/P it's not "democrats" where support is eroding. it's "independents" and they always hate everyone in power.

You realize your post isn't responsive, right? I think the pattern is becoming even clearer.

Be careful what you wish for. Israel has like 20 parties. Their system is never something I'd wish on this country. Each party is so narrowly focused on its own base it cannot rise above petty squabbling, usually for money, to concentrate on governing the country.
In a multi party system the smallest party with a representative has as much power as much bigger parties. So the bigger parties have to whore themselves to gain a parliamentary majority.
Multi party? No, not at this time.
The issue is not the two parties. The issue is lack of involvement by local voters in their parties.

Other than the "troll" part I consider this a step in the right direction jillian..

It's true there is an erosion for Democratic policies obviously, with Independents. It's also true that less people want to be considered Democrats, is it a full blown trend, time will tell.

Right, but it would be nice if had to vote on the merits and views of the candidate rather than the party ID next to their name. That's how our local elections are here in South Carolina. They are non-partisan, no party identifier on the ballot. As a result of that, we seem to get a lot more independent candidates elected here. I don't like people being able to walk into a voting booth and be out in 30 second because they selected the "All Republican candidates" button or the "All Democrat candidates" button.

In theory your view is the best one to have. The biggest problem with it though is politicians promise the world just to get elected and once elected do as they please. There is very little, if any, honesty in politics. It's a coin toss on election day to decide which liar to vote for.

The trend seems to be going in the not affiliated direction, which I think is a promising direction.The stranglehold that leadership in both parties have on their congressional representatives needs to be broken down somehow. The trend to Independents, just might be the ticket.

The change since Obama’s election is that the number of Democrats has fallen by six percentage points and the number of voters not affiliated with either major party has grown by six. The number of adults not affiliated with either party is currently at 30.6%, up from 24.7% in November 2008.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/partisan_trends

In theory your view is the best one to have. The biggest problem with it though is politicians promise the world just to get elected and once elected do as they please. There is very little, if any, honesty in politics. It's a coin toss on election day to decide which liar to vote for.

Well, that's just an ugly part of human nature and not something you can fix. All we can do is hold them accountable and vote them out when they are up for reelection if they don't make good on what they said the first time. That's the failure of the American people, though, because the incumbent retention rate is in the 90 percentile.

Well, that's just an ugly part of human nature and not something you can fix. All we can do is hold them accountable and vote them out when they are up for reelection if they don't make good on what they said the first time. That's the failure of the American people, though, because the incumbent retention rate is in the 90 percentile.

Hold them accountable.. people just don't expect them to be honest anymore..:(

Last edited:

I agree with your "the parties are not the problem" statement. But after that your rationale' is faulty. "Its the money stupid" should be the battle cry. There is entirely too much money in politics, whereby the "candidates" are bought, and do the bidding of their owners instead of who they represent. They are simple whores looking for contributions. we need term limits and campaign money limits.

Even Obama who "promised" to open up the negotiations on CSPAN found out that is not how sausage is made.

And more OFT than NOT? The Money belongs to the TAXPAYERS. This has got to cease.

Forum List

Back