Democrats Look to South in Senate Strategy

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
WASHINGTON - Democrats plotted an optimistic blueprint Wednesday to take back the Senate in November, despite losing incumbents in five Southern states where Republican President Bush (news - web sites) is expected to run strong.

While admitting a tough fight ahead, strategists for Senate Democrats are banking on winning four of six open seats in the South, plus Illinois, and picking off at least two incumbent Republicans.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&e=6&u=/ap/20040128/ap_on_go_co/senate_democrats

Like I've said before... the Dems are weak in the South, and only a Southern Presidential candidate will be able to help them win these particular seats. I don't see it happening.

Do you think a "[Insert Dem. Nominee Here] (President) - Edwards (Vice President)" ticket would give the the Dems any boost in the south? Do you think either Dean or Kerry, the two current leaders, are considering this?

People don't typically vote for vice-presidents, but a southern VP nominee on a New England Liberal presidential ticket might be what the Democratic strategy evolves into.

Weeeell....how many times did GHW Bush say he'd be happy to be Ronnie's VP during the primaries? I don't know, but I'd bet he probably never did. Naturally Edwards won't say, "sure," as that would send the wrong idea to his supporters, one that indicates he's already given up, wether he had or not. I do however understand that he doesn't particularly care for Kerry, but who knows what may transpire, what deals may be made, between now and the Dem's convention.

Forum List

Back