Democrats Join Calls for Napolitano to Step Down Following Failed Attack

Nevadamedic

Jul 13, 2007
Diagon Alley
Some Democrats have joined in calling for Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano to step down following the attempted bombing of a Northwest Airlines flight a week ago.

Though the CIA and an agency under the Director of National Intelligence have been under particular scrutiny in the preliminary review of possible missteps, Napolitano so far has taken the most heat from lawmakers. Not only does her department oversee the Transportation Security Administration, but her initial claim Sunday that "the system worked" was widely ridiculed and interpreted by critics as a sign that she's in over her head.

Some Republicans, who've taken issue with her in the past for calling terrorist acts "man-caused disasters" and other remarks, started calling for her ouster in the spring. The failed bombing on Christmas Day revived those calls.

Now Democrats have joined the chorus.

New Jersey State Senate President Richard Codey, a Democrat, wrote a letter to Napolitano this week calling on her to step down. He said Napolitano, an attorney and former Arizona governor, does not have the experience for the post she is in.

"We should have someone who doesn't need to go in there and learn about terrorism, learn about security," Codey told Fox News. "How close were these 300 people on this plane from losing their lives because homeland security broke down? Boy, it was really close."

The Department of Homeland Security was created in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks and has grown into one of the largest Cabinet departments in the federal government. Charged with keeping the nation safe from terrorist attacks and responding to natural disasters, it covers the TSA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and a slew of other agencies.

Codey said a candidate "well-versed" in intelligence should step into the job.

Democratic strategist Dan Gerstein also said Napolitano's response to the incident should be the last straw.

"I tend to think she will be pushed out in the next couple of months," Gerstein, a former adviser to Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., said.

For now, the administration says it has absolute confidence in Napolitano. She is an active part of the internal review and on Thursday took additional steps to improve security at international airports.

She announced that she's sending senior officials abroad to meet with leaders from international airports to review security measures. Napolitano said she is "fully committed to making whatever changes are necessary to protect the safety of the traveling public."

Napolitano on Monday also clarified that she didn't believe "the system worked" in the run-up to the attempted bombing, which failed because the explosive mixture used did not properly detonate. Napolitano said she was merely referring to the inter-agency cooperation in the aftermath of the attempt.

To Republicans who have lambasted the administration in recent days over its response, the White House accuses critics of playing political games.

"Unfortunately too many are engaged in the typical Washington game of pointing fingers and making political hay, instead of working together to find solutions to make our country safer," Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer wrote on the White House blog.

Republicans, though, have not held back.

Republican Rep. Dan Burton, R-Ind., said Napolitano does not have the experience for the job, and her remarks only prove that she doesn't take the terrorist threat as seriously as she should.

"She's not doing her job," Burton told Fox News.

Former New York Republican Sen. Alfonse D'Amato also said Napolitano should resign.

But other Democrats are urging lawmakers not to jump to conclusions when the internal review is only now getting underway.

Rep. Bill Pascrell, D-N.J., said that if it turns out the secretary dropped the ball then members of Congress will ask for her resignation.

"I'm not at that point yet," he said.

Full Story.................
FOXNews.com - Democrats Join Calls for Napolitano to Step Down Following Failed Attack

I sense a resignation coming.

Other than poor choice of words......why should she step down?

She is in way over her head. She has also done a miserable job since assuming office. This isn't just a partisan attack, as I think some of Obama's picks have done a good job so far but this chick and Geitner need to go.

I agree with rightwinger, all she's really guilty of is speaking when she should have just shut up or stuck to the tried and true DC coverall statement, "we will review this incident and make changes as deemed appropriate" or whatever it is politicians say when they really don't want to say anything at all.

I think this is the proverbial political straw. The incident itself is trivial; however, given her past transgressions, THIS is the one that will break the camel's back.

I can't say that I'm happy to see her stay or go.

Don't go swimming with sharks smelling like chum.

She is in way over her head. She has also done a miserable job since assuming office. This isn't just a partisan attack, as I think some of Obama's picks have done a good job so far but this chick and Geitner need to go.

"in way over her head" Isn't every Homeland security director in over their head? What is she doing that previous Homeland Security Directors didn't do?

What has she done that is miserable?

"in way over her head" Isn't every Homeland security director in over their head? What is she doing that previous Homeland Security Directors didn't do?

What has she done that is miserable?

Looking for terrorists at tea parties rather than in the Muslim community.

How can people spin this as a poor choice of words? The fact she said the same thing more than once in different venues indicates that her choice of words were born of a belief that the system actually worked. That is idiocy and she is an embarassment.

bni, there are terrorists at the teawhacko parties. That is one venue that Homeland Security should certainly be investigating.

As many of you know, I am not a supporter of our former Gov. and see this as another in a long line of mistakes she has made beginning with how she ran our state. However, I will give her credit for for taking responsibility for the actions of her Department which is a quality that many in Washington, both Republican and Democrat would run from quickly. Having saif that my contention is that our former Gov. brought to the job an endless list of mistakes and limited qualifications for the job of HSD. While I would support the President appointing someone much more qualified in Security matters to this position, because the original appointment was more one of a political nature rather than one based on qualifications I don't see that as likely to happen.

As they say in baseball, "3 strikes and yer out!!" She is so stupid that she said "the system worked" when it clearly failed and failed miserably. Dumb. At any rate, the Obamites are gonna needs a scapegoat, so she's gotta go.

PS- It doesn't help that she is fat and ugly either.

CIA Deliberately Allows Suspected Terrorists To Fly

Ms. Napolitano, the Secretary Will Disavow Any Knowledge of Your Actions.....

Guys caught jerking off and menstruating females , must be arrested on the spot , they are performing abortions without a license.

.Blow Jobs and anal sex must criminalized. Babies are being killed in the process.

Hallelujah

Oh, that's right, you are the one who is dangerous to children.

Last edited:
Really, conty, aren't you the one who believes that child consent laws for sexual activity should be lowered? Isn't that what you were arguing for elsewhere? Hmmm? Yeah, George and Renee and John in the avatar are staring at you.

Really, conty, aren't you the one who believes that child consent laws for sexual activity should be lowered? Isn't that what you were arguing for elsewhere? Hmmm? Yeah, George and Renee and John in the avatar are staring at you.

And that's relevant to this thread how?

What is OBJECTIVELY wrong in insisting that a 13 y/o woman is not a child.

Why is it that when is convenient to the state a 13 y/o can be considered an adult?

In the United States, dozens of 13- and 14-year-old children have been sentenced to life imprisonment with no possibility of parole after being prosecuted as adults.

Because a thirteen-year old is a child and cannot consent, period. You support pedophilia, but you don't have the nerve to write it outright. That is a very, very wise decision (for you) and a bad one for children everywhere.

Forum List

Back