Democrats' common sense plan for gas prices...

Lefties sure as hell ain't gonna comment on this obvious bullshit failure of the Dims....
It was a lie for political gain in 2006 and its still a lie today....

The problem is the Dems have only a slim majority in the Senate. The republicans, partisan hacks and stone-wallers that they are, still have enough power to make sure nothing improves.

That should change in November.

Yeah, Ravi...you know if they'd TRIED to do anything you might be able to make that argument. But they haven't. Nor have they unveiled this supposed common sense plan.

Yeah some plan. She was probably just waiting for the Republicans to do the heavy lifting so we could get the $20 a barrel oil the Rupert Murdoch said would come out of the US invasion of Iraq. I can't wait for us to establish control and watch the gas prices fall.

Yeah, Ravi...you know if they'd TRIED to do anything you might be able to make that argument. But they haven't. Nor have they unveiled this supposed common sense plan.

They are voting, today I believe, on windfall taxes and eliminating the tax breaks that oil companies enjoy.

Well, the Dems will have a larger majority after November. Then the GOP will have a harder time blocking legislation. The 2006 vote against the GOP was not the end, it was just the beginning.

Well, the Dems will have a larger majority after November. Then the GOP will have a harder time blocking legislation. The 2006 vote against the GOP was not the end, it was just the beginning.

Only problem with that is the Dems are typically no better than the GOP, so it will end up cycling the other way again. Inevitable.

They are voting, today I believe, on windfall taxes and eliminating the tax breaks that oil companies enjoy.

Windfall tax is a stupid idea, especially when you can't show a "windfall." I'm not opposed to eliminating tax breaks for companies. But the practical effect, at least in every company I've ever worked for, is that when you have increased costs (be it taxes or whatever else) you send them on down the line to the end purchaser and keep your margin at its target.

Windfall tax is a stupid idea, especially when you can't show a "windfall." I'm not opposed to eliminating tax breaks for companies. But the practical effect, at least in every company I've ever worked for, is that when you have increased costs (be it taxes or whatever else) you send them on down the line to the end purchaser and keep your margin at its target.

I wasn't looking to argue the merits of their plans, just to show you that you were WRONG. :lol:

I'm not thrilled about windfall taxes either, but the tax break the oil companies get is ridiculous. No doubt they'll pass on the cost, but why keep giving them a tax break?

No doubt they'll pass on the cost, but why keep giving them a tax break?

I agree. Only thing is, you're going to end up causing prices to go up if you do it right now.

As for the Dems in Congress, I don't think it is an accident that they've long had approval ratings even lower than Bush, nor do I think it is partisanship. They've been largely ineffectual, and particularly with respect to one thing they campaigned on - Iraq. Anyone who thought about it at the time knew the Dems weren't going to do anything about the war, but they campaigned and insisted they would. People bought into it.

I don't see either party as much better than the other.

I agree. Only thing is, you're going to end up causing prices to go up if you do it right now.

As for the Dems in Congress, I don't think it is an accident that they've long had approval ratings even lower than Bush, nor do I think it is partisanship. They've been largely ineffectual, and particularly with respect to one thing they campaigned on - Iraq. Anyone who thought about it at the time knew the Dems weren't going to do anything about the war, but they campaigned and insisted they would. People bought into it.

I don't see either party as much better than the other.

Why would it cause prices to go up right now? And if so, so what. Sometimes a little pain is good.

I wouldn't say the Dems in Congress have a lower approval rating than Bush, I'd say Congress itself does (if it still does, what is Bush's now, 23%?). The only way to fix that is to get a Dem super majority.

If they're going to pass the costs along then prices go up, right?

As for the "so what," well the thread was on the topic of the Dems promise to lower gas prices, so that's the "so what," I suppose.

If they're going to pass the costs along then prices go up, right?

As for the "so what," well the thread was on the topic of the Dems promise to lower gas prices, so that's the "so what," I suppose.

True enough. I'm one of those people that would rather see it keep going up until it goads people into getting serious about finding an alternative energy source.

It's too bad you have to use a stick to beat people into alternative energy sources, but it looks like you do.

I have a 200 mile daily commute (100 each way) with the new job, so gas is a bit of a pain and I'm not interested in seeing it go up further. Of course, I work from home from time to time as well.

It's too bad you have to use a stick to beat people into alternative energy sources, but it looks like you do.

I have a 200 mile daily commute (100 each way) with the new job, so gas is a bit of a pain and I'm not interested in seeing it go up further. Of course, I work from home from time to time as well.
Wow, I hope you aren't driving an SUV.

Forum List

Back