Democrats Claim that SALT Deduction Cap Is "Giveaway to the Rich"--Just Today!

On my way home from work, I laughed aloud when I heard several Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee, especially Danny Davis (D-IL) and Judy Chu (D-CA), claim that the $10K cap on SALT deductions is a "giveaway to the rich," "ripoff of the middle class," "hurts families," "helps only the rich." I thought to myself, "WHAT??? They can't be serious!" When Republicans replied that high-tax states should lower their taxes rather than expect the rest of the country to subsidize their high taxes, Rep. Davis said, "Oh, come on!" No kidding. Go read the transcript.

Of course, the rich have been hit the hardest by the $10K state-and-local-tax (SALT) deduction cap, since they pay far more than $10K in SALT. Those few middle-income people who pay more than $10K in SALT barely do so, so the deduction impacts them very, very little. In the affluent area of Northern Virginia, where I live, in order to pay just slightly more than $10K in SALT, you have to earn at least $150K and own a home worth over $400K. In order to pay significantly more than $10K in SALT--like $15K in SALT--you must earn at least $200K and own a home worth over $600K.

The House Ways and Means Committee was debating a bill to make the 2017 tax cuts permanent. The Democrats introduced an amendment to revoke the SALT cap and to raise the corporate income rate to 29%! Sheesh, are you kidding me? Of course, luckily, the amendment was easily defeated.

Talk about Gas Lighting their base.

In realityland, upper middle class and rich folks in blue coastal states are hammered due to the cap on State and Local Tax deductions. These are the same people writing the spin that their higher taxes are a Giveaway so that the base will demand that the well off folks get to take the entire deductions again.

Republicans chant.......well, just cut your taxes

Which is their way of saying........provide fewer services to the poor and working poor
I am working poor and none of our services have been cut. Making ABLE BODIED people on welfare get a job is NOT cutting their services its getting people OFF the government teat. I can't wait for me and my wife to graduate college and no longer need ANY government help....I despise dealing with it constantly.

Republicans chant.......well, just cut your taxes. Which is their way of saying........provide fewer services to the poor and working poor

Oh, just nonsensical demagoguery. My state of Virginia has plenty of services for the poor and the working poor, and yet Virginia's tax rates are far below those of New York, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and the other states that are whining because their sky-high taxes are no longer being subsidized by people in other states.

Hey, blue states, you wanna stop businesses and people from moving to red states, cut your taxes and regulations. You can cut taxes and still maintain adequate services for the poor and working poor. It can be done. Just look at low-tax states like Florida, Virginia, Utah, Alabama, Idaho, etc.

Republicans chant.......well, just cut your taxes

Which is their way of saying........provide fewer services to the poor and working poor
Yeah because Trump slashed the budget!
Trump increased the budget

overall, yes, the budget did go up for essential expenses like the Military that Obama neglected. Also, getting the new military service, the US Space Cadets, off the ground is going to be a big expenditure.

But millions have bee scratched from Food Stamps and unemployment. This is tremendous.

Wow....
Expanding a bloated military and the Space Cadets

Republicans chant.......well, just cut your taxes. Which is their way of saying........provide fewer services to the poor and working poor

Oh, just nonsensical demagoguery. My state of Virginia has plenty of services for the poor and the working poor, and yet Virginia's tax rates are far below those of New York, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, and the other states that are whining because their sky-high taxes are no longer being subsidized by people in other states.

Hey, blue states, you wanna stop businesses and people from moving to red states, cut your taxes and regulations. You can cut taxes and still maintain adequate services for the poor and working poor. It can be done. Just look at low-tax states like Florida, Virginia, Utah, Alabama, Idaho, etc.

Some states want to spend money on education, healthcare, welfare, programs for the elderly

Others want to slash taxes on the rich

Some states want to spend money on education, healthcare, welfare, programs for the elderly. Others want to slash taxes on the rich.

Sigh and just shaking my head. . . . And some people live in a liberal dream world that bears no resemblance to reality. Red states spend plenty, plenty, plenty of money on education, welfare, and seniors programs. No one even close to the Republican mainstream disputes that there should be a social welfare safety net, that we need good schools, and that seniors should be assisted, Are the poor and the elderly starving and dying in the streets in Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Utah, Idaho, etc.? What about all the unneeded programs and redundant programs in the whining high-tax states? What about the exorbitant state employee pensions and gold-plated benefits in those states? Never mind those, right?

Why should state governments that avoid debt, that even have a reserve fund, and that live within their means see their citizens subsidize states that overtax their own citizens, that carry substantial debt, and that routinely run deficits? Why? How about if we do this on a neighborhood basis, where we take extra money from the families that have little or no debt and that live within their means and give it to families that have huge debts and that keep spending beyond their means?

Can you guys ever be honest about anything?

Forum List

Back