Democrats Claim that SALT Deduction Cap Is "Giveaway to the Rich"--Just Today!

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
On my way home from work, I laughed aloud when I heard several Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee, especially Danny Davis (D-IL) and Judy Chu (D-CA), claim that the $10K cap on SALT deductions is a "giveaway to the rich," "ripoff of the middle class," "hurts families," "helps only the rich." I thought to myself, "WHAT??? They can't be serious!" When Republicans replied that high-tax states should lower their taxes rather than expect the rest of the country to subsidize their high taxes, Rep. Davis said, "Oh, come on!" No kidding. Go read the transcript.

Of course, the rich have been hit the hardest by the $10K state-and-local-tax (SALT) deduction cap, since they pay far more than $10K in SALT. Those few middle-income people who pay more than $10K in SALT barely do so, so the deduction impacts them very, very little. In the affluent area of Northern Virginia, where I live, in order to pay just slightly more than $10K in SALT, you have to earn at least $150K and own a home worth over $400K. In order to pay significantly more than $10K in SALT--like $15K in SALT--you must earn at least $200K and own a home worth over $600K.

The House Ways and Means Committee was debating a bill to make the 2017 tax cuts permanent. The Democrats introduced an amendment to revoke the SALT cap and to raise the corporate income rate to 29%! Sheesh, are you kidding me? Of course, luckily, the amendment was easily defeated.

Last edited:
The SALT cap is double taxation on money you never see

Republicans chant.......well, just cut your taxes

Which is their way of saying........provide fewer services to the poor and working poor

Republicans want to punish Blue States for providing services to their people

On my way home from work, I laughed aloud when I heard several Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee, especially Danny Davis (D-IL) and Judy Chu (D-CA), claim that the $10K cap on SALT deductions is a "giveaway to the rich," "ripoff of the middle class," "hurts families," "helps only the rich." I thought to myself, "WHAT??? They can't be serious!" When Republicans replied that high-tax states should lower their taxes rather than expect the rest of the country to subsidize their high taxes, Rep. Davis said, "Oh, come on!" No kidding. Go read the transcript.

Of course, the rich have been hit the hardest by the $10K state-and-local-tax (SALT) deduction cap, since they pay far more than $10K in SALT. Those few middle-income people who pay more than $10K in SALT barely do so, so the deduction impacts them very, very little. In the affluent area of Northern Virginia, where I live, in order to pay just slightly more than $10K in SALT, you have to earn at least $150K and own a home worth over $400K. In order to pay significantly more than $10K in SALT--like $15K in SALT--you must earn at least $200K and own a home worth over $600K.

The House Ways and Means Committee was debating a bill to make the 2017 tax cuts permanent. The Democrats introduced an amendment to revoke the SALT cap and to raise the corporate income rate to 29%! Sheesh, are you kidding me? Of course, luckily, the amendment was easily defeated.
As a tax man I can tell you that the rich do not use the SALT deductions. They have other ways to reduce taxes like business losses even when business is good.

As a tax man I can tell you that the rich do not use the SALT deductions. They have other ways to reduce taxes like business losses even when business is good.

Do you mean business tax incentives that benefit the society as a whole, why did you try to disguise them as some sort of special giveaway to the 'rich'.

Democrats claim everything but never can prove anything. They are all liars.

That is fine as when tezass or them car o whinass sink we can just laugh our asses off. Dumb skunks.

Republicans want to punish Blue States for providing services to their people
You think allowing your citizens to be over run by illegals and giving them free education and welfare over Americans is somehow providing a service to their people? My God you are insane.

Republicans chant.......well, just cut your taxes

Which is their way of saying........provide fewer services to the poor and working poor

Trickle-down.jpg

That is fine as when tezass or them car o whinass sink we can just laugh our asses off. Dumb skunks.
Well I knew Guam was going to capsize as I was told by a liberal, but never knew other places were in danger! Thanks.

Forum List

Back