Democrats: Are you happy with the Party?

Are you happy with the Democrats since January 2009?

• Total voters

Dr.Traveler

Mathematician
Aug 31, 2009
During a conversation this weekend, a Republican family member and I started to discuss something interesting:

As a Democrat, are you happy with the progress made since January of 2009?

Currently the Democrats enjoy majority control of the House, a Philibuster proof majority in the Senate, and control of the White House. And yet, they can't seem to bring people in line to pass party objectives like the public option in health care reform.

With 2010 coming around, the question has to be asked: Are you happy with the Democrats now they have control?

During a conversation this weekend, a Republican family member and I started to discuss something interesting:

Currently the Democrats enjoy majority control of the House, a Philibuster proof majority in the Senate, and control of the White House. And yet, they can't seem to bring people in line to pass party objectives like the public option in health care reform.

With 2010 coming around, the question has to be asked: Are you happy with the Democrats now they have control?

Some, yes. I am not entirely happy with Harry Reid and most of the time Pelosi. They're both rather weak and they are lacking in communication skills.

I think the administration could be a little more assertive especially with these two and with Republicans who don't have anything more planned than obstruction. I think the Democratic leadership wants to do the right thing all the time so it makes them tentative at times.

I think the Democratic leadership wants to do the right thing all the time so it makes them tentative at times.

There's a time to be tenative, and a time to get stuff done. It really seems like a Philibuster proof lock on the legislative process ought to be a time for confidence and results.

I know that when 2010 comes around, as a moderate myself I'll be asking what results they have to show for these 2 years where they've enjoyed near complete control. If they can't show results, I'll vote to reinstitute divided government.

To get effective poll results it would have been better to give five choices:

Very Happy, Happy, Not Unhappy, Somewhat unhappy, Unhappy

You might ahve wanted to include the words Party's progress or results.

To get effective poll results it would have been better to give five choices:

Very Happy, Happy, Not Unhappy, Somewhat unhappy, Unhappy

You might ahve wanted to include the words Party's progress or results.

:eusa_shhh: I don't think the point of the poll was to get effective results... just a hunch.lol

Not really happy, but not entirely surprised, either.

Our government is and always been about compromise, with few exceptions in our history. Even after Shrub and the GOP had won the right to keep the WH and add a few more reps to their majority in Congress the Dems were able to throw a monkey wrench in some of their plans. There was no reason to expect the same couldn't happen after last election, even with a supposedly filibuster-proof Senate.

No, they are being extremely wussy on health care reform.

Not that I'll vote for a Republican any time soon.

The problem is the majority of the citizenry actively oppose the "reforms" the Dems are offering...

And if there's one thing that puts the fear of God in politicians, it's the possiblity they won't get re-elected.

Would you mind if a Mod adds " I'm not a Democrat " as a choice?

I'd like to see the tabulation without clicking 'Veiw Votes" every time.

The problem is the majority of the citizenry actively oppose the "reforms" the Dems are offering...

And if there's one thing that puts the fear of God in politicians, it's the possiblity they won't get re-elected.

Believe me. They all have pretty good back-up plans. The thing that put's the fear of God in politicians, is not having anywhere to go after. Which is why they love lobbying, these folks have cushy comfortable corporate positions lined up after they loose. I think that it's some sort of pride game that they play though, who can stay in office the longest and f- the people of their district over at the same time.

I have no idea what the majority of our citizens oppose or support. Do you? I know I support reform and I voted for Obama because the Republican Party seems to be the party of the status quo. And the status qou benefits the few at the expense of the many.

I'm not a Democrat, but I am married to one. I told her I'd join if they started kicking ass after the '06 election.

Ha!

The Democrats are as in need of a good purge as are those other coc...um...I mean...the Republicans are.

I have no idea what the majority of our citizens oppose or support. Do you? I know I support reform and I voted for Obama because the Republican Party seems to be the party of the status quo. And the status qou benefits the few at the expense of the many.

The Democrats have a super majority in congress.

The President of the United States is also a Democrat.

All the ingredients required to pass any legislation.

And yet...legislation is not being passed.

What other theories or hypothesis would you advance to account for this conundrum to replace from the one I've already submitted?

Last edited:
I think the Democratic leadership wants to do the right thing all the time so it makes them tentative at times.

There's a time to be tenative, and a time to get stuff done. It really seems like a Philibuster proof lock on the legislative process ought to be a time for confidence and results.

I know that when 2010 comes around, as a moderate myself I'll be asking what results they have to show for these 2 years where they've enjoyed near complete control. If they can't show results, I'll vote to reinstitute divided government.
^^^
Best assessment of the Dems I've heard so far.

Some, yes. I am not entirely happy with Harry Reid and most of the time Pelosi. They're both rather weak and they are lacking in communication skills.

I think the administration could be a little more assertive especially with these two and with Republicans who don't have anything more planned than obstruction. I think the Democratic leadership wants to do the right thing all the time so it makes them tentative at times.

Let me make this very clear to you, the Republicans can't obstruct ANYTHING, the DEMOCRATS are in full control of the congress and the senate with a filibuster proof senate. The trouble is in the democratic party itself, they have only themselves to blame for any and all failures that happens under this administration.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back