Democrat wins Long Held GOP seat

Destroying the Republican Party is Bush's only positive accomplishment.

Yes, the 100's of Senators and congressmen had nothing to do with it, nor did the millions of idiot voters who forgot what their principles were. :rolleyes:

As was destroying the Democrat party Carter's only positive accomplishment. An accopmlishment I look forward to seeing repeated if Obama is actually elected.

You can talk all the hack shit you want. The truth is, it's cyclical. When this Congress that hasn't done jack shit and if the next President is a Dem finally get on everyone's nerves because they're useless, they'll be gone again too.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/04/congress.democrats/index.html

And so begins the great fall...

The Democrats can count on adding a Senate seat in Virginia come November. The hapless Gilmore is running against Mark Warner here. Gilmore will lose big time. Mark Warner will replace John Warner, the republican.

THANK YOU george!

Don't go wetting your pants prematurely now....

Bernie Pinsonat, a pollster with Baton Rouge-based Southern Media and Opinion Research, said Sunday that Jenkins was mainly to blame for the loss and that the outcome had little to do with any national political trends.

And the Democratic win does not mean the district's voters have turned against Republicans, Pinsonat said.

"Democrats have a hard time winning in Louisiana, except when Woody runs," Pinsonat said. "I think Cazayoux got the only Republican opponent he could have beaten."

"I think Cazayoux was able to take advantage of Woody's high negatives with white voters," Pinsonat said.

But Wayne Parent, a Louisiana State University political scientist, said he saw a slight trend in the Democrats' favor in the Baton Rouge area, noting that a Democrat was recently elected sheriff and that the city has a Democratic mayor after years of Republican leadership.

"I think you can read a little into Cazayoux's win, but not too much," Parent said. "You can see Jenkins as too far right, and Cazayoux was seen as a moderate, and that's a perfect situation for a Democrat.

"But Democrats do seem to be doing better in those areas where they need to win, and they've been doing a little better for the past couple years," he said.

Returns showed Cazayoux won in Jenkins' backyard, East Baton Rouge Parish, by far the district's most populous parish and with a makeup of about 30 percent loyal Democratic black voters. Cazayoux won East Baton Rouge with 33,634 votes to 28,755 votes for Jenkins.

Jenkins swept white, suburban Ascension Parish with 3,297 votes to Cazayoux's 1,845, according to the secretary of state's office.

Cazayoux's win means the district has a Democratic congressman for the first time in three decades. The seat opened up when longtime incumbent Richard Baker resigned to take a lobbying position.

Cazayoux attributed the special election win to his campaign's focus on such issues as health care, saying, "We talked about the issues in this campaign. The other side was more divisive."

Jenkins, who offered congratulations to Cazayoux, blamed his loss on low turnout and the large amount of money spent during the campaign. Only 23.5 percent of the district's voters turned out, elections officials said. Jenkins said he has not ruled out another run for the job.

Pinsonat said he expects Republicans to pick a stronger candidate to go against Cazayoux when he's up for re-election this fall.

"Cazayoux is not better than an even bet to win in the fall," Pinsonat said. "He'll have to work from now to November to hold on to that seat, and it'll still be iffy."

Jenkins said he is not ruling out another campaign in the fall.

In another Louisiana congressional election on Saturday, Republican state Sen. Steve Scalise won 75 percent of the vote to beat Democrat Gilda Reed, a college instructor, and two lesser-known candidates.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/ap_on_el_ho/congress_louisiana

Virginia is turning blue because it's turning brown.

Demographics in Old Dominion don't favor Republican success statewide these days because whites are becoming a smaller percentage of the population. That, more than Bush's failure as a president, is the longer-term cause of Republican Party disintegration. But keep in mind that Republicans have not done much to keep America white.

This happens eery election. the dems start crowing about how they're gonna win everything....

and then they don't.

It would be sad, if it wasn't so funny.

Actually, it doesn't happen "every" election. It was the last two.

But, Gunny, you're right. It is cyclical. This time was just a little more overboard than most. Of course that is only the opinion of a loonie liberal.

Didn't hurt that the press did ahatchet job just before the vote. Or did you miss the "fair and balanced" report I linked to?

I guess what they did to Max Cleland wasn't a hatshit job?

Actually, it doesn't happen "every" election. It was the last two.

But, Gunny, you're right. It is cyclical. This time was just a little more overboard than most. Of course that is only the opinion of a loonie liberal.

I guess what they did to Max Cleland wasn't a hatshit job?

It'll be the same. "Overboard" is a matter of perspective. If a Democrat is elected President, prepare to reap what you have sown the past 7+ years. Not taking a shot, just posting an observation.

It's gotten worse each time, from both sides, since Carter. Politicians and their supporters didn't act like this when I was a kid. It wa about the nation then. Now it's damn the nation so long as my party wins.

Sad, really.

you're a partisan hack...worthless...that adds only partisan hack value, not real factual value to anything.

to say that Bush has added NOTHING to this country during his tenure is stupid at best and lies at worst.

it is no surprise to me that a dem won that seat, admittedly, the GOP, including the prez, have not been operating the government as they should. time to go. and when that time comes, people blindly vote for "change" as if sole "change" is the sole item to get them through. yes, change, yes, change, thats it, if only change.... well, you can find change in between your couch cushions friends.....

yada, yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah, blah, . . .

If I wanted to defend the record of the most incompetent president in history, I'd start by listing a few accomplishments. I can see why you decided to avoid that option.

If I wanted to defend the record of the most incompetent president in history, I'd start by listing a few accomplishments. I can see why you decided to avoid that option.

you must think you're cute altering people's posts all the time...you have no leg to stand on when it comes to how anyone posts given your track record of running from posts that prove you wrong

it is clear that you continue to state that Bush has achieved zero accomplishments during his tenure as president...as i already said, that is a lie and anyone with half a brain will tell you that

you must think you're cute altering people's posts all the time...you have no leg to stand on when it comes to how anyone posts given your track record of running from posts that prove you wrong

it is clear that you continue to state that Bush has achieved zero accomplishments during his tenure as president...as i already said, that is a lie and anyone with half a brain will tell you that

So what DO you think Bush has accomplished. Personally, I can't think of a single thing. But I'll listen...

So what DO you think Bush has accomplished. Personally, I can't think of a single thing. But I'll listen...

Outlawed gay marriage...oh, wait.
Outlawed abortion...oh, wait.
Caught bin laden...oh, wait.
Cut spending in government...oh, wait.

Nope, I can't think of anything, either.

the first tax refund that staved a worsening economy and in fact boosted it

his aids relief for africa, largely ignored by liberals

there is more if you are intellectually honest and admit that he has actually accomplished positive things during his tenure

Forum List

Back