Democrat Switching Parties Today

s040_040.gif

that's his political rating. So you guys get Dede Scozzafava after all,

Southern style!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't like the idea that the Democratic Party is shedding Blue Dogs any more than I like the idea of the Republican Party shedding moderates. It seems BOTH parties are gravitating toward their more extreme elements. Too bad.

Maybe there is more and more room for a party that is fiscally conservative but socially and environmentally moderate. They would probably get MY vote more often than not.

Just wondering, what do you mean by "socially and environmentally moderate"? They're two pretty contentious issues and I'm just wondering what kind of balance you think could bring enough people together, while being "fiscally conservative"?

Well... I don't care really about R or D... good that he is against the abomination of any of these healthcare bills.. but I don't expect him to be conservative or consistently vote that way... but if it is a thorn in the side of the liberal left wingers, it can't be all bad

He isn't a thorn. Maybe if we were losing a senator, it might hurt a little more but Republicans have a long way to go before they can actually hurt Democrats in the House.

ALL of them are up for reelection in 2010....

Agreed. Which begs the questions: Why was he a Democrat to begin with? Did he run as a Democrat to distance himself from the damage Bush caused to Republican candidates? Is he switching now because of the potential damage done to Democrats? When will he switch again?

Dunno....

From what I've read he was elected in a heavy "D" county, but considered himself a "Blue Dog Independent" (whatever that is)... Also, from the article it seems he got a good tounge-lashing from his constituents over the break regarding the healthScare fiasco...

Won't get re-elected if your constituency doesn't want the healthScare bill...

Yeah, the district is so heavily Democratic the GOP had won it by over twenty points in the last two presidential elections.

That's what the article said... Complain to the author if you don't agree...

There were several Democrats that switched to the GOP around the 1994 elections. It makes you wonder what Griffith is speculating my happen this coming year.

I don't like the idea that the Democratic Party is shedding Blue Dogs any more than I like the idea of the Republican Party shedding moderates. It seems BOTH parties are gravitating toward their more extreme elements. Too bad.

Maybe there is more and more room for a party that is fiscally conservative but socially and environmentally moderate. They would probably get MY vote more often than not.

If you support the healthScare bill you can't honestly consider yourself a fiscal conservative.... What fiscal conservative would support such a costly and bribe-laden POS?

Just wondering, what do you mean by "socially and environmentally moderate"? They're two pretty contentious issues and I'm just wondering what kind of balance you think could bring enough people together, while being "fiscally conservative"?

You're right - it's a tough line to walk. But in terms of environment I think (for one) you'd need to be environmentally responsible enough to admit that there is a problem with current CO2 emissions but advocate a moderate/very reasonable mitigation timeline. On social issues, I think you'd have to accept abortion (tough one for me personally to swallow, but the vast majority of Americans disagree with me on that one) and allow same sex couples to enjoy the same rights and priviledges that hetero couples have.

Just a start and just MHO. Any other specific issues you'd like to take a stab at? Or have me take a stab at?

Last edited:
Well... I don't care really about R or D... good that he is against the abomination of any of these healthcare bills.. but I don't expect him to be conservative or consistently vote that way... but if it is a thorn in the side of the liberal left wingers, it can't be all bad

He isn't a thorn. Maybe if we were losing a senator, it might hurt a little more but Republicans have a long way to go before they can actually hurt Democrats in the House.

No.. more along the lines of if it really gets under the skin of the wingers and the skin of the far left leadership of the DEM party.. lord knows 1 congressman is not going to really make any significant difference in terms of actual power

No.. more along the lines of if it really gets under the skin of the wingers and the skin of the far left leadership of the DEM party.. lord knows 1 congressman is not going to really make any significant difference in terms of actual power

Very true - I agree, not a real power swing. But it is interesting to me that the Republicans lost a seat held by a centerist Republican that they held for 150 years and Democrats lost a seat that was held by a moderate Democrat that they've held onto for quite some time (sorry, don't know the actual year count on that one).

It just makes me wonder if there is getting to be less and less room for moderates within their parties?

Maybe a fluke? Maybe a growing dissatifaction with the hyper-partisan status quo? I sincerely hope the later is the case.

Michele Bachmann's Family Farm Got $250,000 In Federal Subsidies
so glad this crazy bitches run is almost over!

Michele Bachmann's Family Farm Got $250,000 In Federal Subsidies
so glad this crazy bitches run is almost over!

If Bachmann didn't get defeated last year or in '06 it's unlikely to happen in 2010.

Do you have a link to this story?

obama2ndterm - do you coinsider this party switch enough of an embarassment that you feel the need to try to divert attention away from IT and toward something that embarasses the "other guys?"

Not a big fan of the tactic.

Dunno....

From what I've read he was elected in a heavy "D" county, but considered himself a "Blue Dog Independent" (whatever that is)... Also, from the article it seems he got a good tounge-lashing from his constituents over the break regarding the healthScare fiasco...

Won't get re-elected if your constituency doesn't want the healthScare bill...

Yeah, the district is so heavily Democratic the GOP had won it by over twenty points in the last two presidential elections.

No, it didn't. The article said he'll be the first Republican to hold the seat. It didn't state that the area was a "heavy "D" county". That was your editorializing.

obama2ndterm - do you coinsider this party switch enough of an embarassment that you feel the need to try to divert attention away from IT and toward something that embarasses the "other guys?"

Not a big fan of the tactic.

I don't get why he'd consider this an embarrassment to start with.
Griffith voted with the Republicans on cap-and-trade, on stimulus, on health care, and had already said he'd vote for Boehner for speaker at the start of the next session.

No, it didn't. The article said he'll be the first Republican to hold the seat. It didn't state that the area was a "heavy "D" county". That was your editorializing.

The article said "in an historically Democrat district"...

Big fucking difference, gomer....:razz:

The article said "historically Democrat"...

Big fucking difference, gomer....:razz:

And California was historically a Republican stronghold, but we don't live in the past, we live in the now.

Forum List

Back