Democrat Scandals: Starting To Add Up

Probably a dupe, but too good to ignore:

Rangel's Problems Dog Democrats - WSJ.com

By NAFTALI BENDAVID

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Charles Rangel, the charismatic, powerful chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, spoke grandly at a news conference this week about the need to fund urban projects and keep the nation competitive. Then the New York Democrat was chased down the hall by reporters demanding to know whether he was going to temporarily give up his chairmanship over ethics allegations.

"I don't see what purpose that would serve," Rep. Rangel said. "I don't think reporters should be in the position to remove chairmen, not even temporarily, especially when the reporting is false."

The exchange highlighted the danger for congressional Democrats that Rep. Rangel's problems could be a distraction as they return to Washington this week and prepare for a bigger majority. Rep. Rangel's plight creates a discordant note as the party seeks to enact sweeping overhauls. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi further roiled the waters recently by suggesting the Ethics Committee would quickly wrap up its investigation of Rep. Rangel, prompting Republicans to charge that she was trying to manipulate the process.

Associated Press
Rep. Charles Rangel is under investigation by the House ethics panel over renting apartments at below-market rates, among other things.
Rep. Rangel has been accused of, among other things, not paying taxes on rent from a Dominican Republic beach house, renting several New York apartments at below-market rates, and, most recently, doing favors for a donor to a school named after him.

He has denied any willful wrongdoing, and has asked the Ethics Committee to investigate the first two allegations. The committee announced Tuesday that it was expanding the inquiry to examine the third allegation.

The party has closed ranks around the veteran, and no Democrats have called on Rep. Rangel to step down....
Want to lay wagers the protection is about to fall?

It's cyclical. The Dems will fuck up long enough that the Republicans will look good again and they'll swap places again. In the meantime, nothing gets done by EITHER. Each is too busy keeping the collective focussed on the screw-ups of the other while business goes on as usual.

Think this economic nosedive is going to hurt any of those Congresspersons or the President? Hardly. And who do they bail out? Banks? The auto industry?

How many little guys got bailed out?
It's a political observation, not an endorsement.

Because Bush/Cheney were sooooooooooooo clean. :cuckoo:

I must have missed the part where you ever proved even one damned thing against them. All I EVER saw was baseless rhetoric in the lefty, repeat it until they believe it mode.

Like I said all along ... your guys stink just as bad.

You probably ought to quit worrying about Bush and Cheney because everytime I see their names I'm calling bullshit just like YOU did wheneve Clinton's name was mentioned, and go protect your glass house.

I must have missed the part where you ever proved even one damned thing against them. All I EVER saw was baseless rhetoric in the lefty, repeat it until they believe it mode.

Like I said all along ... your guys stink just as bad.

You probably ought to quit worrying about Bush and Cheney because everytime I see their names I'm calling bullshit just like YOU did wheneve Clinton's name was mentioned, and go protect your glass house.

Baseless rhetoric?

You really are clueless.

You guys have to admit that there is something about Democrat Govenors. In Illinois, corruption is a tradition, but New York and New Jersey? Selling Senate seats and high priced hookers, it seems to bee a Democratic party traditon.

It's cyclical. The Dems will fuck up long enough that the Republicans will look good again and they'll swap places again. In the meantime, nothing gets done by EITHER. Each is too busy keeping the collective focussed on the screw-ups of the other while business goes on as usual.

Think this economic nosedive is going to hurt any of those Congresspersons or the President? Hardly. And who do they bail out? Banks? The auto industry?

How many little guys got bailed out?

:clap2:

You guys have to admit that there is something about Democrat Govenors. In Illinois, corruption is a tradition, but New York and New Jersey? Selling Senate seats and high priced hookers, it seems to bee a Democratic party traditon.
given the number of crooks on both sides, maybe its more the type of person that seeks out the jobs

and no one that isnt that type would want to go through the crap you have to to get elected

sad, isnt it

Both sides are doing it, not just the dems.

given the number of crooks on both sides, maybe its more the type of person that seeks out the jobs

and no one that isnt that type would want to go through the crap you have to to get elected

sad, isnt it

Maybe so, but we have had some good people serve in Illinois. Glenn Poshard comes to mind. Jim Edgar was a great governor. Maybe the next governor will be from that tradition.

sad, isnt it

There are 35,000 lobbyists in Washington alone. Selling influence is what the game is all about. There are few who don't sell out, but very few. It does seem like an amazing number of pols end up in jail.

Delay, Jefferson, Blago, Cunningham, etc...

The flaw with our government is that it is capitalism, and thus money rules it. The price to pay for our once strong economics. Though with this dropping in our economic stability we may see that change, but even if it does it won't be long before it starts back up again.

Forum List

Back