'Democrat' Is No Longer A Brand

BlackAsCoal

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
WASHINGTON - Even I, old-media guy that I am, did not need the Harvard Business Review to tell me that, in the digital age, branding matters.

But I got the new issue anyway, with the cover that reads, "Social Media and the New Rules of Branding." According to B-school gurus, a company must create and vigilantly protect a clear, coherent message about itself if it wants to thrive in the word-of-mouth shark tank. From logo to language to logistics, it all must be of a piece. Consistency matters. A concise identity counts.

Which got me thinking about the Democrats.

As the lame duck tax debate slogs towards its inevitable conclusion -- nearly $1 trillion worth of extended and new tax cuts over two years -- I'm wondering: what does the brand "Democrat" mean?

If anything.

The Republicans don't have a cool logo but their economic brand is vivid. They're the folks who worship the market, or at least claim to. They always want to cut taxes. They pile up deficits while decrying them. They favor pat-a-cake business regulation.

These days, President Obama is trying to refurbish his own (campaign) brand. He and his aides know how crucial this is. After all, Obama was the first presidential candidate in modern times to have a concise, pictorial, non-verbal summary of what he said he stood for. You remember it: a wide, open road leading to a sunny future. Obama was the "O" in hope, the rising sun.

Well, voters remain deeply pessimistic. The tax-cut deal is nothing more or less than a strong effort -- a last-ditch effort -- to cheer them up, turbo-charge consumer spending and somehow reduce unemployment below 8 percent by 2012. No president since FDR has been reelected with an unemployment rate above that.

So Obama's brand now is: I'm a non-ideological, deal-doing, practical, adult in a sea of extremes and I will somehow get us on that sunny road. Now he's Barry the Cable Guy. He'll "git-r-done."

At least that's the pitch.

But that leaves Democrats trying to figure out who or what they are. It leaves them looking for leaders, ideas and symbols with which to sell their brand, whatever it now is, in the political marketplace.

Polls show that voter-consumers are suffering from what experts call "brand confusion." They can't stand the most visible personal symbols of the congressional party -- Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid -- and voters don't trust the Democratic brand on issues (such as jobs and the economy) as strongly as they used to.

And now comes the "Obama-McConnell tax bill".

Edited for Length. Copy Right Infringement.

'Democrat' Is No Longer A Brand

LOL, The Democrats is no longer a BRAND.

you can say that AGAIN, they are now the Progressive-Commie brand.

the Democrat party brand died a long TIME AGO.

Incredible

The words weren't from the Post .. they came from Fineman.

However, I do recognize and acknowledge the "shoot the messenger" mindfuck.

I'll wait for real comment.

Last edited:
Incredible

It's just like writing a book report there Billy. You have to cite your references. There are rules.

Your post is in breach of the copyright rules of the board.

Why is that?

I posted the link.

I suggest you read the fucking terms and conditions that you agreed to abide by when you joined the site.

Every site is different knucklehead.

I haven't posted here in a long time and all it takes is to point out where I'm in violation and I'll correct it.

If all you had was ignorance .. just STFU.

Incredible

It's just like writing a book report there Billy. You have to cite your references. There are rules.

I posted the link when I created the thread there Bob..

A kind mod has already informed me that the problem was that I should have posted excerpts.

I have no problem complying with rules.

I fear the corporations have won.

Next election cycle will tell the tale.

They can make the people believe whatever they want them to believe in numbers large enough they dont even have to fuck with the machines to alter the vote.

I think we now are controled by the militaryindustrialmedia complex.

Why is that?

I posted the link.

I suggest you read the fucking terms and conditions that you agreed to abide by when you joined the site.

Every site is different knucklehead.

I haven't posted here in a long time and all it takes is to point out where I'm in violation and I'll correct it.

If all you had was ignorance .. just STFU.

I'm not your keeper, you should make sure you are aware of the rules before posting. It ain't rocket science.... and telling someone to STFU on a message board makes you look really stupid.

I fear the corporations have won.

Next election cycle will tell the tale.

They can make the people believe whatever they want them to believe in numbers large enough they dont even have to fuck with the machines to alter the vote.

I think we now are controled by the militaryindustrialmedia complex.

I completely agree.

Forum List

Back