Democracy @ Work...

pbel

Gold Member
Feb 26, 2012
Egypt beefs up troops in Sinai to quell Islamists - Yahoo! News

Egypt massed troops and carried out arrests on Friday to quell Islamist militants in Sinai as President Mohamed Morsi visited an outpost where militants killed 16 soldiers, prompting the unprecedented crackdown.

Egypt also temporarily reopened the Rafah border crossing into the Gaza Strip, which was closed after Sunday's ambush on the border guard outpost, to allow stranded Palestinians back into Gaza.

The government and the military appeared determined to restore their grip on the lawless peninsula, but residents say their claims to have already killed 20 militants and captured six "terrorists" were mere propaganda.

State news agency MENA said six "terrorist elements" were arrested during patrols in the North Sinai province and a security source branded them as Islamist hardliners suspected of belong to a jihadist group.

But residents of the town of Sheikh Zuayyed said nine people, including two elderly men, were arrested in the morning from their homes, with all insisting the men were devout Muslims without links to Islamist extremists.

Egypt massed troops and carried out arrests on Friday to quell Islamist militants in Sinai as President Mohamed Morsi visited an outpost where militants killed 16 soldiers, prompting the unprecedented crackdown.
Ah! So, if it's "democratic" Murzi, who's offing jihadoons, it's "democracy @ work". If it's "non-democratic" Mubarak, who had been doing same - it's dictatorship @ work. Funny.

Ah! So, if it's "democratic" Murzi, who's offing jihadoons, it's "democracy @ work". If it's "non-democratic" Mubarak, who had been doing same - it's dictatorship @ work. Funny.
Excellent comment.

Anyone out there envision a bloodless "ARAB SPRING"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~you ain't seen nuthin' yet

We're looking at at least 30 years of Muslim on Muslim internal sectarian wars, civil wars, and regional wars. Most of the Middle Eastern countries you see today will not be the same, geographically speaking.

Last edited:

We're looking at at least 30 years of internal sectarian wars, civil wars, and regional wars. Most of the Middle Eastern countries you see today will not be the same, geographically speaking.
What about Palestine? What's the outlook and will they still be resisting?

We're looking at at least 30 years of internal sectarian wars, civil wars, and regional wars. Most of the Middle Eastern countries you see today will not be the same, geographically speaking.
What about Palestine? What's the outlook and will they still be resisting?
There are other people such as the Kurds, who have been waiting for centuries to regain their homeland back. Palestinians never lost their homeland nor are they a people. I don't think Israel needs to or will give an inch more than it already has, which is all of Gaza. If the Palestinians play their cards right, they might gain some "autonomy" in the West Bank in the long run.

THE KURDS-----the people who could very well benefit from this ARAB SPRING thing------they MAY FINALLY BE ABLE TO SPRING OUT OF "ARAB" (for the record---kurds are somehow not considered to be ethnically "arab"----of people INDIGENOUS----to where they are-----in Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey------they seem to be the MOST INDIGENOUS and do retain ancient modes and customs Kurds kinda remind me of Iranians------they were invaded by arabs-----and still know that they are not arabs. Egyptians and Syrians and Moroccans somehow think that they got TRANSFORMED into arabs Thinkkng that one is an "ARAB" is just as confusing as a bunch of-----"arabs" who then decided to ALSO think that they are "palestinians"

THE KURDS-----the people who could very well benefit from this ARAB SPRING thing------they MAY FINALLY BE ABLE TO SPRING OUT OF "ARAB" (for the record---kurds are somehow not considered to be ethnically "arab"----of people INDIGENOUS----to where they are-----in Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey------they seem to be the MOST INDIGENOUS and do retain ancient modes and customs Kurds kinda remind me of Iranians------they were invaded by arabs-----and still know that they are not arabs. Egyptians and Syrians and Moroccans somehow think that they got TRANSFORMED into arabs Thinkkng that one is an "ARAB" is just as confusing as a bunch of-----"arabs" who then decided to ALSO think that they are "palestinians"
Kurds have an autonomous self-governed area now in Iraq. When Syria collapses, and surely Iran will soon as well, the Kurds will move to regain the lands that belong to them. The Kurdistan part of Iraq has been the most stable, non violent, terrorism free, and prosperous areas of the new Iraq. It is a success story that is not mentioned enough. The key to their success I think is they did not allow the Islamisation of their culture to occur as much as others in the region, and the people and leaders are very secular.

All people of goodwill hope for the best for the kurds after centuries of arab oppression-------but-----uhm------the idea that the KURDS may someday feel a need to be allied to israel in order to fight off arab oppresson is a matter of concern for lots of jihadists which is why some of them are already working in the usual "THE JEWS DID IT" another concern is that some of those "kurds" are jews and -------you know how muslims feel when jews are hidden out somewhere I have first hand information that there have been KURD/JEWS in the turkish mountains and in the Iranian Mountains I do not know about Iraq and Syria. There used to be jews in Afghanistan ----but I was a bit surprised when someone decided that the USA went to AFGHANISTAN to "protect jews" -------sorry folks-----they are not there anymore

All people of goodwill hope for the best for the kurds after centuries of arab oppression-------but-----uhm------the idea that the KURDS may someday feel a need to be allied to israel in order to fight off arab oppresson is a matter of concern for lots of jihadists which is why some of them are already working in the usual "THE JEWS DID IT" another concern is that some of those "kurds" are jews and -------you know how muslims feel when jews are hidden out somewhere I have first hand information that there have been KURD/JEWS in the turkish mountains and in the Iranian Mountains I do not know about Iraq and Syria. There used to be jews in Afghanistan ----but I was a bit surprised when someone decided that the USA went to AFGHANISTAN to "protect jews" -------sorry folks-----they are not there anymore
Yes of course irose. There is a large community of Kurdish Jews that go back to Babylonian times, and some of the older ones even still speak Aramaic believe it or not. Also, when the Iraqi Jews were fleeing Iraq and the Arab pogroms of the late 40's and early 50's, many of them first went to the Kurdish part of Iraq / Iran border (which is a very mountainous area) and then eventually made their way into Iran, which at the time was friendly with Jews.

and some of the older ones even still speak Aramaic believe it or not. .

You seem to be confused.

The only community which really can be considered to speak Aramaic today are the villagers of Ma'Lolua in Syria.

It's a beautiful town, not terribly far from Damascus.

I'd suggest you do a little research, but we both know that won't happen.

--kurds are somehow not considered to be ethnically "arab"----of people INDIGENOUS----to where they are-----in Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey------they seem to be the MOST INDIGENOUS and do retain ancient modes and customs

Firstly, please try to post in simple, correct English.

Secondly, I don't know why you would be surprised that Kurds are not Arabs. Turks are not Arabs either, and the largest Kurdish city on earth is in Turkey.

It's interesting to see people attempt to paint Kurds here as saints and victims...while they have been viciously oppressed by everyone from the Shah of Iran to the current Turkish government, they have also been more than willing to indulge in terrorism that many posters here claim to oppose.

Perhaps if those posters backing the Kurds here could just clarify - is it acceptable for oppressed peoples to use terrorism against civilian targets?

--kurds are somehow not considered to be ethnically "arab"----of people INDIGENOUS----to where they are-----in Iran, Iraq, Syria and Turkey------they seem to be the MOST INDIGENOUS and do retain ancient modes and customs

Firstly, please try to post in simple, correct English.

Secondly, I don't know why you would be surprised that Kurds are not Arabs. Turks are not Arabs either, and the largest Kurdish city on earth is in Turkey.

It's interesting to see people attempt to paint Kurds here as saints and victims...while they have been viciously oppressed by everyone from the Shah of Iran to the current Turkish government, they have also been more than willing to indulge in terrorism that many posters here claim to oppose.

Perhaps if those posters backing the Kurds here could just clarify - is it acceptable for oppressed peoples to use terrorism against civilian targets?

Youe post makes no sense My grammar is adequate for a message board----in fact my style is quite nice. There is nothing in my post to suggest that I am "SURPRISED" that kurds are not arabs-------I mentioned it because many people are not aware of that fact At no point did I suggest that kurds are "saints" I did point out, correctly, that they have been victimized. In sum and substance, my post was accurate and well written. Why are you jealous?

Long ago ---when I was but a young woman----I had a job that included greeting new comers ---ie I was a receptionist----lots of the new comers were from the Indian sub continent, Iran and various parts of africa------One young Iranian announced his name and quickly added "I AM NOT AN ARAB" (I had certainly not suggested that he was an arab-------but he was right----some people do tend to believe that Iranians are "arabs". In Wisconsin ----some people believe that SIKHS are muslims. In the place that I worked---lots of people believed that sikhs are HINDUS)

Getting back to Kurds----perhaps you do not know-----there are tensions out there in the world between sects and groups. Some arabs do not like Non-arabs----I have never met an Iranian who could TOLERATE anything arab ----in general Turks are not very fond of arabs but then-----chinese people seem to have a problem with Japanese people

Irosie -

No, I'm not jealous; I am just literate. Posting accurately and coherently not only allows people to understand your point, but also serves as a method of persuasion.

I have yet to read a post consisting of gibberish, made-up words and poor grammar that I found in any way compelling - and I think you will find this is true of most posters.

To get back to the topic - in my experience of the Middle East, there is as much racism, xenophobia and ignorance about other peoples there as there is in any other part of the world. The Turks traditionally have poor relationships with Armenians and Kurds despite having much in common; likewise Iranians with Iraqis.

In no case does this make any one group better than any other.

Irosie -

No, I'm not jealous; I am just literate. Posting accurately and coherently not only allows people to understand your point, but also serves as a method of persuasion.

I have yet to read a post consisting of gibberish, made-up words and poor grammar that I found in any way compelling - and I think you will find this is true of most posters.

To get back to the topic - in my experience of the Middle East, there is as much racism, xenophobia and ignorance about other peoples there as there is in any other part of the world. The Turks traditionally have poor relationships with Armenians and Kurds despite having much in common; likewise Iranians with Iraqis.

In no case does this make any one group better than any other.

you certainly have a way with trite remarks " The Turks traditionally have poor relationships with Armenians" gee ya' think??? they killed some 2 million of them around 1915-----with clubs and knives-----hand to hand massive genocide. Now tell us why they did that-----what did the turks have against the armenians? Do you have any idea? I will give you a clue-----Iranians and Iraqis ----tend to have a problem because in Iraq SUNNIS RULE-----and in Iran SHIITES RULE ------now why do turks and armenians fight?

and some of the older ones even still speak Aramaic believe it or not. .

You seem to be confused.

The only community which really can be considered to speak Aramaic today are the villagers of Ma'Lolua in Syria.

It's a beautiful town, not terribly far from Damascus.

I'd suggest you do a little research, but we both know that won't happen.
You back with your bullshit again? I know they speak Aramaic because I heard them speaking and asked what it was.

Irosie -

Before we go into the issue of Armenia - how much time have you spent in Armenia and Turkey personally?
Eh fuck off, again with the I know more because I've been to blah blah blah.

Forum List

Back