Democracy Is A Lie?

MJDuncan1982

Jun 29, 2004
Mississippi
Hey everyone, I know you've missed me, haha. I've overcome the election depression and am ready to get back to discussing topics that need to be such. I figure that this is such a topic:

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/23/iraq.main/index.html

"Democracy is also based on the right to choose your religion," he said, and that is "against the rule of God."

That comes from Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, an enemy of the U.S. in Iraq. I was against this war but I'm definitely pragmatic about life and refuse to be an impediment when lives are at stake.

That said, this guy really pisses me off. He is against Democracy. I have to say that if Bush is as honest about spreading Democracy as he acts, he may be a guilty pleasure of mine.

In the role of a narrow minded liberal, I'd like to analyze this statement in the way Aristotle would have (I was a Philo major so such is life, right?).

Democracy is based on the right to choose your religion. I would, in my own belief, remove the qualification "religion" and, for basic purposes, keep with the idea that Democracy is based on the right to choose. Obviously there are further qualifications but it does not seem that the qualification is limited to religion as Abu Musab al-Zarqawi insinuates.

As far as the second half of his statement...against the rule of God...that is one issue I have with many people in this country. A statement as such assumes that one is right that there is not only a God but that he/she/it is involved in worldly matters. I believe in an "It" but see no evidence for believing any further. This man's ideology is the type that kills men and starts wars. Life is easy if you say that God commands a certain action. But this is a world of men and God is not proven and to act in his name, unconditionally, is asking for problems. Don't get me wrong, you can act in his name but to demand the same from others is still asserting that a belief you hold is true - which is far from proven.

Democracy is rule by men in a world of men. It may not be perfect but it is the best. Dogmatic religion in the governance of men leads to oppression and numerous problems. Al-Zarqawi will learn that lesson as the Iraqi people vote as humans - with God being a secondary question to be debated in a civil society.

Ill probably be accused of nitpicking here but i dont think Democracy has anything to do with choosing your religion or belief or whatever you want to call it. Ill explain.

Democracy is simply the ability to create your own laws etc. Its Freedom that allows men and women to choose their belief. Democracies, republics, or any other kind of representative governments are merely the governments we have chosen to best preserve those freedoms and liberties.

For example, democracy can be oppressive. Because in a pure democracy it would basically be a mob rule. However, because of the wisdom of our founders we have freedom because they set up a Republic with enough checks and balances to protect those freedoms. Freedom could also exist in a monarchy assuming the king is a good and just man who protects the rights of the people rather than oppresses them. but since kings arent always good men freedom is not preserved the best in such governments.

So like i said im probably nitpicking but its Freedom we what to share around the world and we will share the ideal of checks and balances along with that. but it is freedom that makes us great and gives us the ability to choose our own faiths.

Ill probably be accused of nitpicking here but i dont think Democracy has anything to do with choosing your religion or belief or whatever you want to call it. Ill explain.

Democracy is simply the ability to create your own laws etc. Its Freedom that allows men and women to choose their belief. Democracies, republics, or any other kind of representative governments are merely the governments we have chosen to best preserve those freedoms and liberties.

For example, democracy can be oppressive. Because in a pure democracy it would basically be a mob rule. However, because of the wisdom of our founders we have freedom because they set up a Republic with enough checks and balances to protect those freedoms. Freedom could also exist in a monarchy assuming the king is a good and just man who protects the rights of the people rather than oppresses them. but since kings arent always good men freedom is not preserved the best in such governments.

So like i said im probably nitpicking but its Freedom we what to share around the world and we will share the ideal of checks and balances along with that. but it is freedom that makes us great and gives us the ability to choose our own faiths.

That reminds me, did the Iraqi government ever legislate into their constitution a bill of rights, similar to that in all Liberal Democracies? I seem to recall there was a dispute between establishing a truly secular constitution, like in America, vs. a less permissive form such as in Turkey.

Any idea?

MJDuncan, if I'm reading you right, you are in favor of establishing a democratic republic-type government in Iraq, correct? If so... you're not so bad after all! :beer: :D

Forum List

Back