Democracy and Majority Rule

Did you read the article? That's not what this is about. The concern is that so many Americans don't understand the purpose, and the limitations, of democracy in our government.

Yep.

The article hits all the conservative talking points, nicely, and leaves out the real problems.

Mainly corporate influence.

LOL. You're accusing me of parroting talking points? That's rich. Really.

Anyway, maybe someday you'll come to realize that the principle of limited government protects us from abusive government regardless of who is pulling the strings - corporations or the 'unwashed masses'. Most of the policies that give unfair advantage to corporate interests violate constitutional limitations on government and would be reversed by a prudent court.

Unfortunately, with 'friends' like Roberts on the bench, that's not going to happen. It's up to us to demand it - rather ironically - via democratic action.

Yeah..I am "parroting" talking points.

Many of the founders, including Madison, talked extensively of the evils of corporate influence on government.

There was no way they envisioned a government by the corporations and for the corporations.

Do you repeat yourself willfully or is it dementia?

If a majority of Americans support having a 2nd Amendment, and a minority of Americans want to get rid of the 2nd Amendment,

whose voice is more important? The majority or the minority? Should we get rid of the 2nd amendment because by keeping it,

we're allowing the majority to tyrannize the minority?

Exactly why the article was posted...to generate debate and discusssion. :clap2: You can be trained afterall.:tongue:

Well then instead of contributing nothing more than childish insults, why don't you answer the questions.

The 2nd amendment oppresses the minority of states who might want to ban certain guns, doesn't it?

Isn't that by your definition tyranny?

Yup.

Surprise surprise! the richest men in the revolutionary colonies weren't entirely on board with the idea that the common people could manage their own affairs.

Who'da thunk?

:lol:

And they were right.

Our government is the biggest cluster fuck ever imagined.

If a majority of Americans support having a 2nd Amendment, and a minority of Americans want to get rid of the 2nd Amendment,

whose voice is more important? The majority or the minority? Should we get rid of the 2nd amendment because by keeping it,

we're allowing the majority to tyrannize the minority?

Exactly why the article was posted...to generate debate and discusssion. :clap2: You can be trained afterall.:tongue:

Well then instead of contributing nothing more than childish insults, why don't you answer the questions.

The 2nd amendment oppresses the minority of states who might want to ban certain guns, doesn't it?

I see. You formulate your twisted premise then re-pose it to me to answer based on your new interpretation. I don't think so.

You can look up the second amendment and answer that for yourself, now can't you?

I know how you operate NY or did you forget?

People can be oppressed, not governments.

According to you, the right to freedom of speech "oppresses" many states that want to censor television and newspapers.

You're an idiot, NYBeaner.

The founders of our nation held a deep abhorrence for democracy and majority rule.

No shit they hated democracy. That's why in most states black, women, and even most men were excluded from voting. Thanks for the fucking history lesson, and welcome to the future.

I. Our founders intended for us to have a republican form of limited government where political decision-making is kept to the minimum.
Our Founders intended that government be run by wealthy white males to the exclusion of everyone else and it appears you would like the same.

According to you, the right to freedom of speech "oppresses" many states that want to censor television and newspapers.

I see you know his modus operandi as well.

Yep.

The article hits all the conservative talking points, nicely, and leaves out the real problems.

Mainly corporate influence.

LOL. You're accusing me of parroting talking points? That's rich. Really.

Anyway, maybe someday you'll come to realize that the principle of limited government protects us from abusive government regardless of who is pulling the strings - corporations or the 'unwashed masses'. Most of the policies that give unfair advantage to corporate interests violate constitutional limitations on government and would be reversed by a prudent court.

Unfortunately, with 'friends' like Roberts on the bench, that's not going to happen. It's up to us to demand it - rather ironically - via democratic action.

Yeah..I am "parroting" talking points.

Many of the founders, including Madison, talked extensively of the evils of corporate influence on government.

There was no way they envisioned a government by the corporations and for the corporations.

They (Jefferson, et.al.) actually did worry about this possibility. It was one of the key reasons for limiting government power - to prevent corporations from using government policy to enrich themselves. Eroding Constitutional protections is exactly what's given corporations so much power to dominate society.

beretta, learn your history, son.

Read the Constitution and count the number of democratic practices in it, representation for example.

Remind us what Jefferson said about democracy, as well.

What's so good about democracy and majority rule?

The founders of our nation held a deep abhorrence for democracy and majority rule. The word democracy appears in neither of our founding documents: our Declaration of Independence and Constitution. In Federalist Paper No. 10, James Madison wrote, "Measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority."

John Adams predicted, "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Edmund Randolph said, "... that in tracing these evils to their origin every man had found it in the turbulence and follies of democracy."

Chief Justice John Marshall observed, "Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos."

In a word or two, the founders knew that a democracy would lead to the same kind of tyranny the colonies suffered under King George III. Our founders intended for us to have a republican form of limited government where political decision-making is kept to the minimum.

Democracy and Majority Rule by Walter E. Williams

Madison argued for a more powerful central government on the grounds that, ironically, government where the power was distributed to smaller groups made it more likely for a majority to oppress a minority:

"The smaller the society the fewer probably will be the distinct parties and interests composing it; the fewer the distinct parties and interests, the more frequently will a majority be found of the same party and the more easily will they concert and execute their plans of oppression."

This eventually played out exactly in the segregation of the South, where, via 'state's rights' the individual states with their segregationist white majorities were able to individually, regionally, oppress black Americans.

The 'evil' central government however was able to end this, because in the wider context of more diverse public opinion, the rights of the black minority were favored.

For Madison's quote:

Constitution of the United States - A History

The founders of our nation held a deep abhorrence for democracy and majority rule.

No shit they hated democracy. That's why in most states black, women, and even most men were excluded from voting. Thanks for the fucking history lesson, and welcome to the future.

I. Our founders intended for us to have a republican form of limited government where political decision-making is kept to the minimum.
Our Founders intended that government be run by wealthy white males to the exclusion of everyone else and it appears you would like the same.

Listen "AutOhI PoopedMyself, don't put words in my mouth and tell me what I would like.

Read the Constitution and count the number of democratic practices in it, representation for example.

The founders of our nation held a deep abhorrence for democracy and majority rule. The word democracy appears in neither of our founding documents: our Declaration of Independence and Constitution. In Federalist Paper No. 10, James Madison wrote, "Measures are too often decided, not according to the rules of justice and the rights of the minor party, but by the superior force of an interested and overbearing majority."

John Adams predicted, "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."

Edmund Randolph said, "... that in tracing these evils to their origin every man had found it in the turbulence and follies of democracy."

Chief Justice John Marshall observed, "Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos."

In a word or two, the founders knew that a democracy would lead to the same kind of tyranny the colonies suffered under King George III. Our founders intended for us to have a republican form of limited government where political decision-making is kept to the minimum.

Gee thanks Dad. This is the problem with people like you and posting here. A person posts an article to motivate discussion then little lifeless whiny crybabies don't like a particular article so they try the "transference" route by implying that the original poster agrees with each and every word in the article.

FAIL! Try again but thanks for the advice. :cool:

Governments are of the people. If governments can't be oppressed why are conservatives constantly harping on 'state's rights'?

Governments are of the people. If governments can't be oppressed why are conservatives constantly harping on 'state's rights'?

One straw man point after another, with you.

Son, you made a whiny crybaby assertion that you won't be able to support.

You ignored the democratic practices in the Constitution.

You have ignored Jefferson.

Your argument is unbalance and thus will fail.

Gee thanks Dad. This is the problem with people like you and posting here. A person posts an article to motivate discussion then little lifeless whiny crybabies don't like a particular article so they try the "transference" route by implying that the original poster agrees with each and every word in the article.

Son, you made a whiny crybaby assertion that you won't be able to support.

You ignored the democratic practices in the Constitution.

You have ignored Jefferson.

Your argument is unbalance and thus will fail.

Pops, post my assertion. In fact reference the post # where I personally wrote any such assertion.

The assertion is implied that democracy and majority rule are somehow bad.

They aren't as long as we have a constitution with minority rights.

OK, you can apologize now and step off, son.

Conveniently didn't use "quote" to post that way you still have hope that no one will see the challenge I gave you to back up what I said. YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T. I think you're the one that needs to step oh mighty OBTUSE father. Missed my 2 or 3 references to post # 29 as well, I see.

Last edited:

Doesn't Roe v Wade oppress the right of states to ban abortion altogether?

"Implied" is how you made your assertion. I clearly demonstrated the problems with your post. Correct them.

You don't get to change the goal posts, son.

Is the American way of government bad?

Conveniently didn't use "quote" to post that way you still have hope that no one will see the challenge I gave you to back up what I said. YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T. I think you're the one that needs to step oh mighty OBTUSE father.

Forum List

Back