DeMint: Capitol Visitor Center Fails to Honor Faith

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Delete Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) from the list of admirers of the new Capitol Visitor Center.

DeMint issued a statement Tuesday criticizing the new facility for "omitting the history of faith." DeMint noted that the new tourist spot ignored his request to include the phrase "In God We Trust" and the Pledge of Allegiance.

DeMint said the center, which opened Tuesday, also has displays that are "left-leaning and in some cases distort our true history."

Here's DeMint's full statement:

“The Capitol Visitor Center is designed to tell the history and purpose of our nation's Capitol, but it fails to appropriately honor our religious heritage that has been critical to America’s success. While the Architect of the Capitol has pledged to include some references to faith, more needs to be done. You cannot accurately tell the history of America or its Capitol by ignoring the religious heritage of our Founders and the generations since who relied on their faith for strength and guidance. The millions of visitors that will visit the CVC each year should get a true portrayal of the motivations and inspirations of those who have served in Congress since its establishment.

“The current CVC displays are left-leaning and in some cases distort our true history. Exhibits portray the federal government as the fulfillment of human ambition and the answer to all of society’s problems. This is a clear departure from acknowledging that Americans’ rights ‘are endowed by their Creator’ and stem from ‘a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence.’ Instead, the CVC’s most prominent display proclaims faith not in God, but in government. Visitors will enter reading a large engraving that states, ‘We have built no temple but the Capitol. We consult no common oracle but the Constitution.’ This is an intentional misrepresentation of our nation’s real history, and an offensive refusal to honor America's God-given blessings. As George Washington stated clearly in his first inaugural address:

‘…t would be peculiarly improper to omit in this first official Act, my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the Universe, who presides in the Councils of Nations, and whose providential aids can supply every human defect, that his benediction may consecrate to the liberties and happiness of the People of the United States, a Government instituted by themselves for these essential purposes: and may enable every instrument employed in its administration to execute with success, the functions allotted to his charge.’

“The fundamental principles of the freedom we enjoy in this country stem from our Founding Fathers’ beliefs in a higher power, beliefs put forth in the Declaration of Independence and manifest throughout our Constitution,” said Senator DeMint. “If we cease to acknowledge this fact, we may cease to enjoy some of the freedoms we take for granted. We must not censor historical references to God for the sake of political correctness. And we must truthfully represent the limited form of government the Constitution lays out so that our ‘government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth.’ So help us God.”

:lol:

The Hill's Blog Briefing Room » DeMint: Capitol Visitor Center Fails to Honor Faith

I haven't been there, but his comments sound valid to me. There seems to be a lot of push to move religion into the background or just make it go away all together. It reminds me of times when I've run into someone I know and I'll say hey where have you been I haven't seen you at church and they get kinda nervous and embarrassed and want to pretend that's not part of who they ever were. That's how this country seems right now. Whether you like it or not Christianity is part of our heritage as Americans. You don't have to be a Christian to acknowledge history. If it all changed tomorrow and we were a Muslim country or lost religion altogether and were an atheist country I wouldn't have any trouble acknowledging it.

It makes me wonder, what's so embarrassing about Christianity?

is that supposed to be a serious question?

is that supposed to be a serious question?

Sure. Go ahead, make me look foolish. I'm not responsible for any atrocities someone else committed in the name of God. I think I'm a reasonably good person, I have my failings to be sure, but I don't think I'm unkind to people and I think that was the main thing Jesus was trying to tell us. So if I'm an idiot for being kind or compassionate then by all means shred me up.

but it remains that your compassion is about as broadly applicable as a service warranty from a lemon selling used car lot. Over 75% of our nations history is chock full of dogma junkies rationalizing the most vile shit with their faith. Jesus didn't win the Revolutionary war, the Civil war, WW2 or vietnam just because soldiers in foxholes, scare dfor their lives, desperately implore god. Hell, even today we see the faithers out trying to find validation in their beliefs as they make second class citizens out of the modern ****** class. You say you are not personally responsible.. fair enough, I don't think you are personally responsible for burned witches and the like.. But the dogma IS. The blind application by zealots who would cry foul if their faith is questioned IS. It's a coolie cutter pattern that we see across the board when it comes to nutters who are convinced of their own self righteousness while everyone else be damned. Whats the biggest issue with christians these recent holidays? feeding the hungry? nope. door greeters and crying about secular humanists.

The purpose of the Capital VISTIOR CENTER is to help people make their way around the capital.

Why would IN GOD WE TRUST or the pledge of alligiance be part of that?

This complaint doesn't make sense.

but it remains that your compassion is about as broadly applicable as a service warranty from a lemon selling used car lot. Over 75% of our nations history is chock full of dogma junkies rationalizing the most vile shit with their faith. Jesus didn't win the Revolutionary war, the Civil war, WW2 or vietnam just because soldiers in foxholes, scare dfor their lives, desperately implore god. Hell, even today we see the faithers out trying to find validation in their beliefs as they make second class citizens out of the modern ****** class. You say you are not personally responsible.. fair enough, I don't think you are personally responsible for burned witches and the like.. But the dogma IS. The blind application by zealots who would cry foul if their faith is questioned IS. It's a coolie cutter pattern that we see across the board when it comes to nutters who are convinced of their own self righteousness while everyone else be damned. Whats the biggest issue with christians these recent holidays? feeding the hungry? nope. door greeters and crying about secular humanists.

My point is that for better or worse Christianity is part of our heritage. Why not acknowledge it?

My point is that for better or worse Christianity is part of our heritage. Why not acknowledge it?

for the same reason we don't like to bring up slavery or the trail of tears.

The purpose of the Capital VISTIOR CENTER is to help people make their way around the capital.

Why would IN GOD WE TRUST or the pledge of alligiance be part of that?

This complaint doesn't make sense.

No. As we found out yesterday from the Senate Majority Leader, THE purpose of the Visitors center is to keep the tourists from disturbing the senators with their stench.

Judeo-Christian ethics are as much a part of the ideology that went into the founding and most of the rest of the history of this country as John Locke, Montesquieu and Rousseau.

Not that I'm a big proponent since I'm a pagan, but this denier shit has to end somewhere.

christians are not the only people to have decided that murder and stealing suck. In almost every example of rampant christainity in America we find rationalized violence and minimized responsibility thereof, a total dominance of culture and swift punishment for verboden variances, and the ability to wrap it up in faith and belief like a snake oil salesman pushing watered down whiskey as a miracle tonic. Some jewish ghost didn't cause the United States. Americans did.

Last edited:

I guess we don't feel the same way about Christianity, I don't think it's been a completely negative element of US history, but either way it doesn't make sense to me to deny it's importance.

I guess we don't feel the same way about Christianity, I don't think it's been a completely negative element of US history, but either way it doesn't make sense to me to deny it's importance.

To deny it is, of course, a mistake.

But what does that have to do with a vistors' center?

Nothing far as I can tell.

FWIUW, neither does the pledge of alligiance.

this is looking like more Christian posturing for victimhood status to me.

It's a coolie cutter pattern that we see across the board when it comes to nutters who are convinced of their own self righteousness while everyone else be damned. Whats the biggest issue with christians these recent holidays? feeding the hungry? nope. door greeters and crying about secular humanists.

The above does not withstand an impartial examination. The church is the largest private sector provider of private charity in this country. Between the protestant and catholic churches the amount of money spent on charitable activities, such as feeding the hungry, vastly exceeds the amount spent defending against lawsuits filed by the ACLU and similar groups. Christians are simply becoming vocal against the secular left right now because we are tired of these groups hiding behind PC while seeking to reduce first amendment liberties.

Jews have done a fine job of making Christianity the source of all evil and/or a terrific joke

Bullshit. The right wing nut cases who protested Schiavo and others like that have made their version of it a joke.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back