Demand A Plan To End Gun Violence

And while you all are at it demanding things...how about demand banning abortion?

that is violence against children that kill more DAILY than gun violence..

if you keep your car in your house you dont need one

Dude, you can't even rent a car without a driver's license, let alone buy one.

Ultimately we have a choice - who should decide if a seventeen-year old by can buy an AK-47 - him alone, or him and a police psychiatrist?

By all means say him alone if you can accept the inevitable Colombines and Virginia Tech's, but I prefer the latter system and I feel safer for it.

That is a business transaction where the company requires you to have a liscense. Again, where is your consitutional right to a car?

When it comes to rights the burden is on the state to infringe on it, and the off chance a 17 year old (actually its 18 in most states to legally own a firearm)....
Federal law: You have to be 18 to buy a firearm.
So, the entire "who should decide if a seventeen-year old by can buy an AK-47" line of discussion starts out moot and gets dumber from there.

if you keep your car in your house you dont need one

Ultimately we have a choice - who should decide if a seventeen-year old by can buy an AK-47 - him alone, or him and a police psychiatrist?

By all means say him alone if you can accept the inevitable Colombines and Virginia Tech's, but I prefer the latter system and I feel safer for it.

That is a business transaction where the company requires you to have a liscense. Again, where is your consitutional right to a car?

When it comes to rights the burden is on the state to infringe on it, and the off chance a 17 year old (actually its 18 in most states to legally own a firearm) is not enough of a burden to let the police decide who gets to exercise a right and who doesnt. That is the domian of the courts, and only in the execution of punishment from crimes, or legal ajudication of insanity.

BTW, as far as I know you do not need a license to purchase a vehicle. You also don't need one to operate it on private roads.

When it comes to rights the burden is on the state to infringe on it, and the off chance a 17 year old (actually its 18 in most states to legally own a firearm) is not enough of a burden to let the police decide who gets to exercise a right and who doesnt. That is the domian of the courts, and only in the execution of punishment from crimes, or legal ajudication of insanity.

BTW, as far as I know you do not need a license to purchase a vehicle. You also don't need one to operate it on private roads.

Licensing, training, insurance, driving laws - all should be banned and it should be a free for all out there on the roads.

cuz the rw's say the Constitution sez so.

Licensing, training, insurance, driving laws - all should be banned and it should be a free for all out there on the roads.

cuz the rw's say the Constitution sez so.

scratch a liberal find a fascist

Propose a law that would "ensure the mentally ill could not easily acquire weapons" or "at risk groups such as teenagers could not aquire weapons"

I'd be delighted to.

This suggestion is part of a proposed EU law.

Basically, anyone who wants to apply for a gun license attends a 30-minute interview with a police psychiatrist, who also has access to their medical history. If the police are concerned about the person's motives or mental balance - they can not get a gun license.

Also, everyone has to attend a gun safety course over something like 10 x 90 minute sessions with a registered gun club. The gun club can fail the person if they consider the person constitutes a threat to public safety - i.e. if they joke about killing people. No safety certificate = no gun sales.

This is all quick, easy and will make a massive difference in ensuring that unbalanced teenagers can not acquire guns.

The NRA should be pushing for the same thing for the US.

In a 30 minute interview everyone could pass unless the "police psychiatrist " didn't want people to have a gun - then nobody could pass. You can't place that kind of power in the hands of any single individual. There is also the matter of cost - who would pay for those thousands of hours of "evaluation"?

Mandating a 15 hour course on gun safety is ridiculous. Most gun safety courses are 6 hours long and are quite extensive. I attend one every few years voluntarily and paid $70 for the last one - a few weeks ago. I learned nothing new but made a few friends and that is why I go.

So who would foot the bill of $175 per person for this training? Would either of these rules affect the criminal element? Would either of these programs take guns away from criminals?

These things just cost money and do nothing to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals. Criminals are not going to try to buy a gun legally. They are not going to go to an interview and they are not going to go to a safety traing class.

Last edited:
Propose a law that would "ensure the mentally ill could not easily acquire weapons" or "at risk groups such as teenagers could not aquire weapons"

I'd be delighted to.

This suggestion is part of a proposed EU law.

Basically, anyone who wants to apply for a gun license attends a 30-minute interview with a police psychiatrist, who also has access to their medical history. If the police are concerned about the person's motives or mental balance - they can not get a gun license.

Also, everyone has to attend a gun safety course over something like 10 x 90 minute sessions with a registered gun club. The gun club can fail the person if they consider the person constitutes a threat to public safety - i.e. if they joke about killing people. No safety certificate = no gun sales.

This is all quick, easy and will make a massive difference in ensuring that unbalanced teenagers can not acquire guns.

The NRA should be pushing for the same thing for the US.

In a 30 minute interview everyone could pass unless the "police psychiatrist " didn't want people to have a gun - then nobody could pass. You can't place that kind of power in the hands of any single individual. There is also the matter of cost - who would pay for those thousands of hours of "evaluation"?

Mandating a 15 hour course on gun safety is ridiculous. Most gun safety courses are 6 hours long and are quite extensive. I attend one every few years voluntarily and paid $70 for the last one - a few weeks ago. I learned nothing new but made a few friends and that is why I go.

So who would foot the bill of $175 per person for this training? Would either of these rules affect the criminal element? Would either of these programs take guns away from criminals?

These things just cost money and do nothing to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals. Criminals are not going to try to buy a gun legally. They are not going to go to an interview and they are not going to go to a safety traing class.

They are trying to punish the law abiding citizens for the actions of those who could give a shit about ANY laws. They need to grab onto their ears and pull.

Last edited:
If you truely wish to end gun violence then get rid of the violence. Prosecute the perpetrators to the fullest extent of the law. Get rid of the criminals and the violence will stop.

On a news blurb today I heard that the governor of California just released 377 convicted murderers today. I am sure there was a good reason to release these criminals before their sentences were up and I am equally sure that they will never offend again - especially when they know that early release is as common as plea bargains.

Tell me again how California is banning guns to protect it's population - and then explain how releasing 377 convicted murderers protects their unarmed society.

People complain about the NRA, but fail to understand that it's not just one entity, but an organization made up of millions of "voters" and many of us 70 million private gun owners are weary of hearing the anti-gun zealots crying to end gun ownership. At some point we will stand up in unison and vote out the puppet liberal politicians.

Forum List

Back