Demand A Plan To End Gun Violence

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Demand a Plan - Home

It’s time. Join more than 850 mayors and over 1.2 million grassroots supporters to demand that Congress step forward with a plan to end gun violence.

Our efforts cannot bring back the 20 innocent children murdered in Newtown, CT -- or the 33 people murdered with guns every day in America. But we can prevent future tragedies by passing common-sense legislation that will:

Require a criminal background check for every gun sold in America
Ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines
Make gun trafficking a federal crime, with real penalties for “straw purchasers”

Demand that your members of Congress support these legislative priorities.

Find out your state gun laws:
Fatal Gaps

Note the poll of NRA members, scroll down, its on the right.

Yeah, it's called ENFORCE THE CONSTITUTION.

That's the best form of self-checks and balances to control
not only abuse of guns, but legal abuse, abuse of govt, corporate abuse,
religious abuse, etc.

Not only should gun owners be required to go through the same training as police and military officers do, but also Lawyers should be required to uphold the Constitution and Code of Ethics instead of subverting due process and equal justice.

Clearly the reason Congress and Govt don't push for this
is if THOSE PEOPLE aren't upholding the Constitution and
don't want to be held to those standards, so they can't enforce the same for others.

see ethics-commission.net

Demand a Plan - Home

It’s time. Join more than 850 mayors and over 1.2 million grassroots supporters to demand that Congress step forward with a plan to end gun violence.

Our efforts cannot bring back the 20 innocent children murdered in Newtown, CT -- or the 33 people murdered with guns every day in America. But we can prevent future tragedies by passing common-sense legislation that will:

Require a criminal background check for every gun sold in America
Ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines
Make gun trafficking a federal crime, with real penalties for “straw purchasers”

Demand that your members of Congress support these legislative priorities.

Find out your state gun laws:
Fatal Gaps

Note the poll of NRA members, scroll down, its on the right.

I wonder if it is time to limit the influence of the NRA, who increasingly seem to be a political organisation with little interest in concepts like safety.

Why should political donations made by the NRA be secret?

Tinmore -

The US is not Nazi Germany.

The US can certainly be compared to modern Germany, which has a homocide rate perhaps 90% less than that of the US.

So I'd say gun control is working fairly well, wouldn't you?

There are very strict rules and guidelines regarding responsible gun ownership and the proper handling of firearms.

Not government rules, but common sense rules that were written by... gun owners.

If there is to be any government intervention, it should be only to the extent that when these self-written rules are broken then punishment be meted out.

I honestly do NOT think that gun control will have an enormous effect on the gun madness that is happening.

Now CLEARLY I am NOT a gun queer, but even I agree that these mass killing events we're facing now are NOT going to stop, not even if we put into place some of the solutions currently being proposed.

What these events are really showing us is the mental illness that this society en mass has when it comes to using violence to solve problems.

Guns are not the problem our NATIONAL ZIETGEIST is the real problem.

I wonder if it is time to limit the influence of the NRA, who increasingly seem to be a political organisation with little interest in concepts like safety.

Why should political donations made by the NRA be secret?

You do know the NRA is one of the largest gun safety organizations out there, right?

NRA|NRA Programs

Click on the Firearm training Icon.

Marty -

I am aware of that, but to my mind the NRA these days is more interested in party politics than gun safety.

I find their refusal to be limited by laws on political campaign donations to be nefarious and conspirational.

Not one single proposal will end gun violence nor have any effect on violence in general.

Marty -

I am aware of that, but to my mind the NRA these days is more interested in party politics than gun safety.

I find their refusal to be limited by laws on political campaign donations to be nefarious and conspirational.

Has the NRA reduced thier funding for thier safety programs?

Yes, you do notice the political arm more, mostly because they are in the news more because people are trying to take away our rights. I would expect them to rail against gun control proposals that they disagree with.

They also seperate thier political arm from thier training/other arm.

Marty -

I agree that they also do some valid work, but my concern is that they do not promote safety-based gun legislation. Instead, they oppose ALL legislation.

If the NRA were committed to public safety, they would back laws that would make it harder for criminals, the mentally ill and depressed to obtain weapons.

But they don't, do they?

Why do you think the NRA is excluded from legislation concerning political campaign donations?

Marty -

I agree that they also do some valid work, but my concern is that they do not promote safety-based gun legislation. Instead, they oppose ALL legislation.

If the NRA were committed to public safety, they would back laws that would make it harder for criminals, the mentally ill and depressed to obtain weapons.

But they don't, do they?

Why do you think the NRA is excluded from legislation concerning political campaign donations?

Because there are other organziations with the same exact exclusion? They have to follow the current laws as per citizens united. Where is the specific "NRA is the only organization that can do X, Y Z", rule you seem to be implying?

The NRA supports laws that criminalize the illegal use of firearms including:

All forms of criminal law, like murder, assault, robbery, etc.
They support laws banning felons and mentally adjudecated persons from owning weapons.
They do support the current NCIS system
They support concealed carry permits as long as the rules are "shall issue"
They are just fine with the 1934 firearms act

What they do not support are laws designed to make it harder for law abidng folks to own and procure firearms, that are ignored by the criminals gun controllers claim to be the actual target of the law.

Forum List

Back