Dem supermajority for 24 days, NOT 2 YEARS. Lying Pubs!

francoHFW

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2011
NY 26th FINALLY DEM!
The Truth is that the Democrats only had a filibuster-proof majority for 24 working days during that period. Here are the details:

To define terms, a Filibuster-Proof Majority or Super Majority is the number of votes required to overcome a filibuster in the Senate. According to current Senate rules, 60 votes are required to overcome a filibuster.

Here is a time-line of the events after the 2008 election:

1. BALANCE BEFORE THE ELECTION. In 2007 – 2008 the balance in the Senate was 51-49 in favor of the Democrats. On top of that, there was a Republican president who would likely veto any legislation the Republicans didn’t like. Not exactly a super majority.

2. BIG GAIN IN 2008, BUT STILL NO SUPER MAJORITY. Coming out the 2008 election, the Democrats made big gains, but they didn’t immediately get a Super Majority. The Minnesota Senate race required a recount and was not undecided for more than six months. During that time, Norm Coleman was still sitting in the Senate and the Balance 59-41, still not a Super Majority.

3. KENNEDY GRAVELY ILL. Teddy Kennedy casts his last vote in April and leaves Washington for good around the first of May. Technically he could come back to Washington vote on a pressing issue, but in actual fact, he never returns, even to vote on the Sotomayor confirmation. That leaves the balance in the Senate 58-41, two votes away from a super majority.

4. STILL NO SUPER MAJORITY. In July, Al Frankin was finally declared the winner and was sworn in on July 7th, 2009, so the Democrats finally had a Super Majority of 60-40 six and one-half months into the year. However, by this point, Kennedy was unable to return to Washington even to participate in the Health Care debate, so it was only a technical super majority because Kennedy could no longer vote and the Senate does not allow proxies. Now the actual actual balance of voting members is 59-40 not enough to overcome a Republican filibuster.

5. SENATE IS IN RECESS. Even if Kennedy were able to vote, the Senate went into summer recess three weeks later, from August 7th to September 8th.

6. KENNEDY DIES. Six weeks later, on Aug 26, 2009 Teddy Kennedy died, putting the balance at 59-40. Now the Democrats don’t even have technical super majority.

7. FINALLY, A SUPER MAJORITY! Kennedy’s replacement was sworn in on September 25, 2009, finally making the majority 60-40, just enough for a super majority.

8. SENATE ADJOURNS. However the Senate adjourned for the year on October 9th, only providing 11 working days of super majority, from September 25th to October 9th.

8. SCOTT BROWN ELECTED. Scott Brown was elected in November of 2009. The Senate was not in session during November and December of 2009. The Senate was in session for 10 days in January, but Scott Brown was sworn into office on February 4th, so the Democrats only had 13 days of super majority in 2010.

Summary: The Democrats only had 24 days of Super Majority between 2008 and 2010.

Discussion: The Democrats had a super majority for a total of 24 days. On top of that, the period of Super Majority was split into one 11-day period and one 13-day period. Given the glacial pace that business takes place in the Senate, this was way too little time for the Democrats pass any meaningful legislation, let alone get bills through committees and past all the obstructionistic tactics the Republicans were using to block legislation.

Further, these Super Majorities count Joe Lieberman as a Democrat even though he was by this time an Independent. Even though he was Liberal on some legislation, he was very conservative on other issues and opposed many of the key pieces of legislation the Democrats and Obama wanted to pass. For example, he was adamantly opposed to “Single Payer” health care and vowed to support a Republican Filibuster if it ever came to the floor.

Summary:

1. 1/07 – 12/08 – 51-49 – Ordinary Majority.
2. 1/09 – 7/14/09 – 59-41 – Ordinary Majority. (Coleman/Franklin Recount.)
3. 7/09 – 8/09 - 60-40 – Technical Super Majority, but since Kennedy is unable to vote, the Democrats can’t overcome a filibuster
4. 8/09 – 9/09 - 59-40 – Ordinary Majority. (Kennedy dies)
5. 9/09 – 10/09 - 60-40 – Super Majority for 11 working days.
6. 1/10 – 2/10 – 60-40 – Super Majority for 13 working days

Total Time of the Democratic Super Majority: 24 Working days.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/resources/pdf/2009_calendar.pdf
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/resources/pdf/2010_calendar.pdf
United States Senate election in Minnesota, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
111th United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://factleft.com/category/politics

Last edited:
Who claimed the Dems had a supermajority for 2 years?

So what you're saying is a govenment shutdown would be unnoticed. Glad you think it's as useless as I do.

And I like your trying, but reaching is well still reaching.

Did the GOP ever have a supermajority during the Bush years? If not, how did they get so many things done?

WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I don't recall seeing a SINGLE filibuster during the time Franco is crying about.

Anyone else see one?

Did the GOP ever have a supermajority during the Bush years? If not, how did they get so many things done?

I guess they put on tin foil hats and let the brainwaves paralyze the democrats so they couldnt fillabuster....oh wait they used it on appointments like judges all the time....I guess that theory is off the board....dam

I guess they put on tin foil hats and let the brainwaves paralyze the democrats so they couldnt fillabuster....oh wait they used it on appointments like judges all the time....I guess that theory is off the board....dam

Yep. I just checked and the GOP had 55 seats after they gained 4 seats in 2004. So even at their peak, they had LESS seats than the Democrats have had all this time!

Well, Boooshies only passed tax cuts- only 51 votes needed. And there was always the blue dogs. Dems are not lockstep liars and obstructionists like Pubs (see Iraq)...

All Pubs care about are stupid tax cuts and putting their cronies in charge of the SEC, GSA, ATF, pentagon, etc so they can rip off the country and pretend they're cops and soldiers, stupid chickenhawks...

Last edited:
Well, Boooshies only passed tax cuts- only 51 votes needed. And there was always the blue dogs. Dems are not lockstep liars like Pubs (see Iraq)...

All Pubs care about are stupid tax cuts and putting their cronies in charge of the SEC, GSA, ATF, pentagon, etc so they can rip off the country and pretend they're cops and soldiers, stupid chickenhawks...

EXCUSES EXCUSES....I mean the republicans have RINOS, that would vote for some of the crap in the Obama regime, because it's batshit, Nancy Pelosi crazy. The best thing she ever did was to have a daughter that made fun of rednecks and welfare queens. (and I wonder when her daughter wakes up every morning if she's like WHEW dodged bullet, glad mom "wanted" me)

Super-majority and filibuster-proof are totally meaningless terms as they apply to the political parties,

for the simple reason that no party member is required to vote with his party.

It's just fodder for meaningless conversations.

Super-majority and filibuster-proof are totally meaningless terms as they apply to the political parties,

No they dont have party discipline like in Europe, but it does matter. The healthcare vote was extremely partisan. I mean it costs congressmen their jobs, because people voted for it when the public didnt want it and still doesnt.

Well this thread ended poorly for the OP rather quickly, lol. Let me guess, it's because of all em Repug*la*durps and biddy diddy ditto Rushbo gnomes or some shit?

When you're proven wrong and uh... lets just give you the benefit of the doubt and say only 7 out of 10 times, people lose the ability to take you seriously.

You know I can sit here and destroy Mitt, and for the most part people agree with me on my points but feel Mitt is still the better option over Obama. That's because I don't revert to talking points or make shit up.

The same is true of Obama, the other side (Obama supporters) feel Obama is the better option. But again I don't have to use talking points and make shit up about Obama. The truth is really hard to dispute.

You're a Troll who's tactic is based purely on quantity over quality, much like TM. Just page after page of you getting burned with little to no support from the left. There are quite a few liberal and conservative minded people here worth debating, you FranhasHPV are not one of them.

Last edited:

Unless it's Bush getting the rubber stamp on his evil world destroying policies... Even when the Demc Senate and house gave him 2 thumbs up after campaigning that they would hold the purse strings and stop him.

No they dont have party discipline like in Europe, but it does matter. The healthcare vote was extremely partisan. I mean it costs congressmen their jobs, because people voted for it when the public didnt want it and still doesnt.

No party has EVER been as lockstep filibusterers as Pubs right now. Not to mention destructive brinkmanship on normally routine things like debt limit rises, and ridiculous witch hunts. Or such lying propagandists. A disgrace.

ACA is a GD Pub bill, based on Nixon/Dole/Heritage/Newt/Romney plans. Just shows what swine Pubs are these days. Not only Pub voters are dupes of their gigantic propaganda machine, and 30 % wanted MORE, ie single payer.

ACA will be THE most popular gov't progam by 2016. Romneycare is a great success, has cut costs 15%, and Mass already has the slowest rising costs in the US, 2%/yr. (Frontline) And ACA is better...

Trolls don't argue facts, they make stupid insults, Pubtroll (#13) (the only kind).

Last edited:

No party has EVER been as lockstep filibusterers as Pubs right now. Not to mention destructive brinkmanship on normally routine things like debt limit rises, and ridiculous witch hunts. Or such lying propagandists. A disgrace.

ACA is a GD Pub bill, based on Nixon/Dole/Heritage/Newt/Romney plans. Just shows what swine Pubs are these days. Not only Pub voters are dupes of their gigantic propaganda machine, and 30 % wanted MORE, ie single payer.

ACA will be THE most popular gov't progam by 2016. Romneycare is a great success, has cut costs 15%, and Mass already has the slowest rising costs in the US, 2%/yr. (Frontline) And ACA is better...

Trolls don't argue facts, they make stupid insults, Pubtroll (the only kind).

I think I asked this question in this very thread a little while ago, and you didn't answer. Now you're repeating the same BS with absolutely no shame. What filibuster did the R's use against your Messiah's plans?

Answer or SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!

Trolls don't argue facts, they make stupid insults, Pubtroll (#13) (the only kind).

Seems like you are repeating left wing talking points:

Wednesday, October 12, 2011On Unprecedented Republican Filibusters of Obama
Someone recently pointed me to a source designed to back up his statement that Republicans have obstructed President Obama’s agenda through an unprecedented use of the filibuster. Of course, his source did nothing to prove his point since the author was documenting the record number of filibusters under George W. Bush, not Obama, but that didn’t stop him from maintaining his assertion of obstruction. As resident fact checker here at The Heathen Republican, I decided to determine the truth about filibusters and our two parties.

Below, I’ve examined 22 years of filibusters, and highlighted the 111th congress in more detail. What you’ll see is that there is no clear pattern of one party filibustering more than another. You’ll also see that the data are ambiguous enough that both parties have the ability to spin the message to blame the other party for excessive filibusters. Even though the two charts below definitively prove him wrong, I expect “someone” to spin the data to prove his case against Republicans in the comment thread (in order to avoid embarrassing

Filibusters_111_congress.jpg

The Heathen Republican: On Unprecedented Republican Filibusters of Obama

The Heathen Republican: On Unprecedented Republican Filibusters of Obama

Last edited:

I think I asked this question in this very thread a little while ago, and you didn't answer. Now you're repeating the same BS with absolutely no shame. What filibuster did the R's use against your Messiah's plans?

You're a GD brainwashed moron, there've been record numbers of filibusters the whole time Obama's been president. How 'bout everything BUT ACA. The Jobs Act, Dream Act. Now of course they have the House.

You're a GD brainwashed moron, there've been record numbers of filibusters the whole time Obama's been president. How 'bout everything BUT ACA. The Jobs Act, Dream Act. Now of course they have the House.

Link, Shit for Brains?? With details, if you don't mind too fucking much...

New Topics

Forum List

Back