Dem Party Guanteed at least some of N. Carolina's EC Votes in next Prez Election

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
N.C. bailing on "winner take all" electoral college vote system - Prez candidates will be guaranteed to take a proportion of the states EC votes, depending on the percentage of the total popular vote they win.

"N.C. near to shelving winner-take-all for electoral votes"

North Carolina appears headed to becoming the third state in the nation to abandon the winner-take-all method for awarding its electoral votes as the House tentatively agreed Thursday to shelve the method.

In its place, according to the measure approved on a largely party-line vote, would be a more proportional method that would reward the presidential candidate who receives the most votes in each of the state's congressional districts.

The Senate already has passed the meaure, which would take effect in 2008. A final House vote could come Friday, then the bill would go to Gov. Mike Easley, a Democrat, just like the majority in the Legislature, which has backed the change. The state Democratic Party also supports it.

The Democratic candidate would be sure to receive at least 3 EV's from NC, and probably as high as 7-8, depending on the nominee.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1565/story/650684.html

ou are aware why aren't you? Because the republicans keep winning the National elections in NC and the Dems that control the state ( because of gerrymandering) don't like it.

ou are aware why aren't you? Because the republicans keep winning the National elections in NC and the Dems that control the state ( because of gerrymandering) don't like it.

I hope Illinois does the same. Contrary to what it looks like, our state is Blue in Cook Co and some rural areas of the state, (poor farming areas). Considering the few number of Blue states and their clustering around big cities, I think proportional EC votes sound grand.

:eusa_boohoo: :sad:

I personally wish every state had proportional EC - it would make the EC reflect the popular will, more than it does now.

New Topics

Forum List

Back