Dem councilman spent $135K on sports tickets out of needy constituent fund

According to the WaPo story, the fund comes from donations, not from tax dollars, and is to be used to offer “charitable, scientific, educational, medical, recreational and other services”. There also seems to be corroboration that the tickets were being offered to the community. Of course, it would be almost impossible to prove that *none* of the tickets went to cronies or to people Congressman Evans was trying to lobby, and indeed the Congressman concedes that he has used some of the tickets personally.

Far from being illegal, the Congressman's use of the fund seems to be in largely or entirely in line with the fund's stated purpose (attending a sporting event is recreational). Of course I would prefer that funds were used more narrowly on antipoverty measures, and that the regulations were changed to require this.

Evans' use of the fund seems inappropriate and politically embarrassing. However, it is quite common for more prominent political figures to actually use taxpayer dollars on personal expenses, or to cheat on their taxes. Evans' actions are relatively unobjectionable.

Yeah, during a time where record amounts of people are receiving food stamps and people are losing their houses left and right, we should be using such a fund to treat people to a ball game :rolleyes:

It is ethically wrong to use funds set aside for needy children on sports tickets for yourself...

Whether that violates any written rules is of no consequence...

If any of the kids he sent to those games becomes a Nationals or Wizards fan this guy should be charged with child abuse.

To be honest, I didn't think anyone here would actually try to defend this POS...

I was wrong...

You are wrong and I am sorry, but I have to ask this question.

Does anyone know for a fact that he did not give those tickets to disadvantaged youth? If he didn't then he is a scumbag, but if he truly bought tickets and either took disadvantaged youth in groups and attended with them, or gave the tickets to them and their families, I don't see a problem with this.

Some of the best memories kids can hold onto in life are the days spent at a ballpark.

Until I have an answer for that question, I'm withholding judgment.

Immie

According to the WaPo story, the fund comes from donations, not from tax dollars, and is to be used to offer “charitable, scientific, educational, medical, recreational and other services”. There also seems to be corroboration that the tickets were being offered to the community. Of course, it would be almost impossible to prove that *none* of the tickets went to cronies or to people Congressman Evans was trying to lobby, and indeed the Congressman concedes that he has used some of the tickets personally.

Far from being illegal, the Congressman's use of the fund seems to be in largely or entirely in line with the fund's stated purpose (attending a sporting event is recreational). Of course I would prefer that funds were used more narrowly on antipoverty measures, and that the regulations were changed to require this.

Evans' use of the fund seems inappropriate and politically embarrassing. However, it is quite common for more prominent political figures to actually use taxpayer dollars on personal expenses, or to cheat on their taxes. Evans' actions are relatively unobjectionable.

Yeah, during a time where record amounts of people are receiving food stamps and people are losing their houses left and right, we should be using such a fund to treat people to a ball game :rolleyes:

It has been going on for a decade i.e. during the Bush years when we were not in a recession that could turn into a depression. I'm already depressed. ;)

Immie

New Topics

Forum List

Back