Dem Budget: 2 TRILLION in NEW TAX HIKES, Deep Cuts at Pentagon

Taxes have not been sufficient to cover spending for thirty years. That is why we ran up $14 trillion in debt

How big an idiot do you have to be to cut taxes without cutting spending first?

Let's return to tax rates to where they were ten years ago. Once the debt is paid off, the wealthy can have their tax cuts back

I have a better idea: lets return spending rates to where the were 10 years ago.

It really is pathetic to watch libtards arguing that the only solution to every problem is higher taxes and more spending. It's time to stop the broken record.

Defense is a federal responsibility, in the constitution.

Healthcare is not a federal responsibility.
Education is not a federal responsibility
Police is not a federal responsibility
Fire protection is not a federal responsibility
Infrastructure is only partially a federal responsibility: Interstate highways come to mind.

Are you telling me the US military is larger than the Chinese Military? This wiki article goes into that...

List of countries by number of troops - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also if you worked for DOD you would know that out of the 11 groups (13 actually i think) only 4-6 can be forward deployed, with the others in maintenance.

Since the nukes were bought decades ago, how much is thier maintenance cost as a % of defense spending?

It all comes down to the mission we are expected to perform around the globe. Compared to the actual threat (no nation can compete with the US military) we have a military force much larger than is needed. We drew down our military after the Cold War because the Soviet Threat was gone. We have since allowed the military to grow back to Cold War levels

We are asking Americans to sacrifice at all levels. In an era of Domestic hardship can we afford to keep our current military?

Chinese military? Who gives a fuck about the Chinese Military? They cant even invade Taiwan, how can they invade the US? The primary mission of the Chinese Military is to keep 1.5 billion Chinese under control, not to fight the US

YOU were the one who called our military larger than the next 10. I proved you wrong. Evidently you care about it.

Now if you want to go by cost, yes ours costs more, because the US military principle since WWII has been that bodies are worth more than equipment and ordinance. The US method of making war is expensive in terms of money, but cheaper in terms of lives than other methods because we lavish our troops with the best technology availible, and plan out 20 years into the future to make sure we keep that edge. its what allows us a relatively small army per capita.

I guess you would prefer we go with less well equipped troops, now and 20 years from now.

The domestic crisis is caused not by defense spending, with the exeption of deployment costs (Ill give you that), but by promises made on entilements that no one really cared about worrying how to manage them. Add in current federal tasks that are best left to state/local governments and thats how we are spending more than we take in.

The US doctrine is force multipliers. Use technology, training, doctrine and tactics to make small forces more powerful. That is why your listing the number of Chinese troops was meaningless. We learned a long time ago, it is not your numbers but how you use them

I am not advocating disbanding or making our troops more vulnerable. What drives our military budget is the mission they have been given to do. Our Navy is more powerful than all the worlds Navies combined, we have more nuclear capability, no nation is close to challenging our control of the skies, our Army is the most advanced in history......Nobody can challenge us

Where is the threat?

There is not Trust Fund.

The government has already spent that money and stuffed it with IOUs to be paid by future taxpayers. In addition, the "trust fund" is underfunded (along with Medicare) by over $30T on a net present value basis. That means that future benefits will be paid by significantly increasing payroll taxes on future workers.

It's a PONZI SCHEME.

Bush and the Republican Congress let PAYGO expire and then proceeded to pursue an agenda that could have never passed PAYGO muster,

leading to the return of the deficits and the accumulation of more debt.

So the Democrats have been practicing "PAYGO" for the last 4 years?

Yeah, right.

But what the Right wants is to pay for that militarism, and the money it brings in for the defense lobby,

by turning the US into a third world country domestically. They want to virtually wipe out (if they had the power to do so) every bit of expenditure or law that goes to alleviating the consequences of being in the lower income brackets in America,

whether it be in health, education, food, shelter, labor, you name it.

In a perfect conservative world, all of that would be gone, and the US would look more like Mexico,

with a really really really big army.
And you want to turn us into a third world country internationally AND domestically.

Do you think the world will "like us" then?

I doubt that South Korea, Japan, and the EU will 'like us' more if we stop defending them for free.

I doubt that Iraq or Afghanistan will 'like us' more if we stop building them schools and roads and bridges and hospitals,

while people like you complain about practically every nickel spent on the same over here.
If you have to lie to make your point, your point isn't worth making.

But here's something that's not a lie:

People like you think the US needs to be brought down a notch or two. Obama said so himself. That proves you're simply not serious about national security.

More taxes, more taxes, more taxes, more taxes, more taxes, more taxes... that is the liberals answer to EVERYTHING! Damn these fucking MORONS to HELL.

Senate Democrats Draft Debt-Reduction Plan

By Lori Montgomery, Published: July 8

Senate Democrats have drafted a sweeping debt-reduction plan that would slice $4 trillion from projected borrowing over the next decade without touching the expensive health and retirement programs targeted by President Obama.

Instead, Senate Democrats are proposing to stabilize borrowing through sharp cuts at the Pentagon and other government agencies, as well as $2 trillion in new taxes, primarily on families earning more than $1 million year, according to a copy of the plan obtained by The Washington Post.

Senate Democrats draft debt-reduction plan - The Washington Post

Taxing people who make more than one million dollars a year, the top 1% wealthiest in the country as the article describes them, and cutting the Pentagon's budget, a budget which is never audited and often have projects that go massively over-budget.

What's not to like?

its always easy to like other people paying for your stuff.

The pentagon's budget is audited, you are thinking of the CIA's "black" budget.

One of the problems in the pentagon is the archaic accounting structure, I agree. but it IS audited.

There's really no reason not to raise taxes on them right now.

No sorry, I'm actually thinking specifically of the Department of Defense, which applied and got audit-exempt status a couple years back. There's a representative in the House who proposed part of a bill which would force an audit on them.

Really?

How many American lives were lost supporting Obamas foreign policies? How many nations did he conquer to find imaginary WMDs and fight imaginary terrorists?

Obama's Cowboy Go it Alone Diplomacy...it different that Dubyas. It just is!

Do you mean like the bogus "Coalition of the willing"? Or using NATO to handle most of the mission in Libya?

The coalition wasn't bogus. It didn't require France and Germany's cooperation, despite what the left insisted.

Taxes have not been sufficient to cover spending for thirty years. That is why we ran up $14 trillion in debt

How big an idiot do you have to be to cut taxes without cutting spending first?

Let's return to tax rates to where they were ten years ago. Once the debt is paid off, the wealthy can have their tax cuts back

I have a better idea: lets return spending rates to where the were 10 years ago.

It really is pathetic to watch libtards arguing that the only solution to every problem is higher taxes and more spending. It's time to stop the broken record.

How much debt have we run up in those ten years? 9 Trillion?

$2.5 trillion was to borrow money to pay for Bush tax cuts, $2.5 trillion to pay for unfunded two wars, add in unfunded Medicare Part D (How many Fiscally responsible Republicans voted for those?)

Obama added $800 billion for stimulus and extended the tax cuts

Shared sacrifice my ass.

"Shared sacrifice" is a liberal euphemism for "bend over taxpayers!"

anti_obama_bend_over_for_change_bumper_sticker-p128711788506555798trl0_400.jpg

Taxes are low because official Underemployment is 16.4%.

Add to that the people who are no longer counted as unemployed because they have given up looking for a job, and that figure increases to 22%+.

Tax receipts are down because Millions and Millions of people are not earning an income.
Just as the left planned.

One tax that should definitely be raised is the rate on carried interest for hedge funds and private equity funds. That rate is 15%, the capital gains rate. This is egregious and should be taxed as income. It is not capital gains and should not be taxed as such.

Carried interest is the fee a hedge fund or private equity fund manager makes when he generates profit on other people's savings. A typical fund charges 20% on the profits it generates for clients. So if a $1 billion hedge fund generates a 20% return, it takes $40 million in profits. That money is taxed at 15%, so the hedge fund manager's tax bill will be $6 million. However, if you are a CEO and you generate a salary plus bonus of $40 million, you are taxed at 35%, or $14 million. This is distortionary, and rewards speculative rather than productive behavior. The fund manager should be taxed at the same rate as everyone else.

This is one of the loopholes Obama proposes be closed. The Democrats should absolutely dig their heels in on this one.

I agree. Hedge fund income should be taxed as income. It is not their capital at risk.

We’re clearly dealing with a radical minority of extreme rightists who harbor this infantile notion that all taxes are ‘bad.’

They cling blindly to their dogma – facts be damned.

America is consequently held hostage by rightist ignorance.

I agree. Hedge fund income should be taxed as income. It is not their capital at risk.

Exactly.

If the hedge fund manager puts all his capital in the fund, then the profits he generates on his capital within the fund should be taxed as capital gains. But if I'm risking your money, I am performing a service with your capital, and I should be taxed as a service provider, not as a beneficiary of your capital.

We’re clearly dealing with a radical minority of extreme rightists who harbor this infantile notion that all taxes are ‘bad.’

If Federal Income Taxes are so great why do only 50% of us pay them?

The Government's Prayer

Our Government in D.C.,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy nanny state come.
Thy mandate be done
On flyover country as it is in the coasts.
Give us this month our monthly check,
And audit us our trespasses,
As we file suit against those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into liberty,
But deliver us from ourselves.
For thine is the oligarchy,
And the power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.
Amen.

If Federal Income Taxes are so great why do only 50% of us pay them?

The reason is simple

In order to get their tax cuts for billionaires, Republicans had to offer up token cuts for the working poor. That pushed many below the line of having to pay Federal Taxes

Now, Republicans like Willow want to take back those cuts......for the working poor.......not the billionaires

Forum List

Back