Delving into the world of smartphones

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
In the next few months, I'm goingt to be making some life changes...one of which will be getting a smartphone.

I use Verizon. I have always used Verizon. I love Verizon. I will not change from Verizon.

Therefore, these are my following choices of phones:

DROID
Blackberry

And starting in Feb...iPhone

There are also other phones such as LG and Samsung that they offer, but I have heard more about the above.

Can anyone compare and contrast the above three phones/systems?

Besides telephony, I plan to use texting in a limited fashion, while I plan to use wireless internet and apps more.

For the benefit of PixieStix...DISCUSS.

I just got my first one as my Xmas present to myself.

I also have Verizon, I went with a droid and other than getting used to typing on that tiny little touch screen :evil: it's been a breeze. It's also already proven to be durable. :lol:

I had several people tell me not to go with the iphone, for reasons ranging from it being more fragile (not a good idea in a house with little kiddos) to it being more complicated to use to it being more of a toy for texting, facebooking and e-mailing, not something useful for business applications. But I haven't used one myself.

In the next few months, I'm goingt to be making some life changes...one of which will be getting a smartphone.

I use Verizon. I have always used Verizon. I love Verizon. I will not change from Verizon.

DROID
Blackberry

There are also other phones such as LG and Samsung that they offer, but I have heard more about the above.

Besides telephony, I plan to use texting in a limited fashion, while I plan to use wireless internet and apps more.

My wife is an avid Blackberry user, but hated the Torch wheen she got it. She finally joined me on the iPhone bandwagon. She seems to like it. I love it. My son was leaning towards Droid, but recently went with the new Windows 7 OS and really likes it. I had the old Windows mobile and it pretty much worked like Windows on a desktop. It sucked.

iPhone!

I also have Verizon, I went with a droid and other than getting used to typing on that tiny little touch screen :evil: it's been a breeze. It's also already proven to be durable. :lol:

I had several people tell me not to go with the iphone, for reasons ranging from it being more fragile (not a good idea in a house with little kiddos) to it being more complicated to use to it being more of a toy for texting, facebooking and e-mailing, not something useful for business applications. But I haven't used one myself.

Couple of friends have had problems with the seemingly delicate iphone. My BlackBerry, otoh, seems indestructible! And I have dropped on a tiled floor, slammed it in a car door (don't ask), and my horse trod on it! Friend of mine left his BB on the roof of his car, it fell off and got run over... still worked! :lol:

Couple of friends have had problems with the seemingly delicate iphone. My BlackBerry, otoh, seems indestructible! And I have dropped on a tiled floor, slammed it in a car door (don't ask), and my horse trod on it! Friend of mine left his BB on the roof of his car, it fell off and got run over... still worked! :lol:

I don't know anybody who has a blackberry, I'll have to remember that. Sounds about perfect for my house. Constant multitasking plus two little heathens equals, er, the occasional oopsie. :lol:

If you buy an Otter Box for your iPhone, you can sit and throw it at the wall all day long. I bought one after having it demonstrated to me by a friend.

both my kids (22 and 16) have droids and really like them.

i plan on getting one when they incorporate a dial as god intended.
There is probably an app for that.

I just downloaded a bar code reader. You can go to Best Buy, scan the barcode into your phone of that big screen tv you've been drooling over and voila! You get a list of how much money everyone else is selling it for.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

I don't know anybody who has a blackberry, I'll have to remember that. Sounds about perfect for my house. Constant multitasking plus two little heathens equals, er, the occasional oopsie. :lol:

If your a fan of touch screens, the new Torch is fantastic, it's touch with a slide out keyboard... best of both worlds. Don't be put off by the initial size of the keypad.... you get used to it real fast. It's truly a great cell.

There is probably an app for that.

I just downloaded a bar code reader. You can go to Best Buy, scan the barcode into your phone of that big screen tv you've been drooling over and voila! You get a list of how much money everyone else is selling it for.

you're right, there probably is. we were talking about all the apps you can get for a droid the other day, and that bar code reader came up in conversation.

i'm something of a luddite, i still use my phone to, gulp, talk to people.

whew, that's a load off my mind :D

BlackBerry Torch. Touch phone, with slide out keypad for 'dialing'... as God intended. LOL

DROID
Blackberry

I don't use a cell phone much so I have a Tracphone. it works just fine for my needs. I also have a cell phone established in the truck for emergency use. I rarely use that too. If I want to make a phone call, I stay at home to make it. The only thing that irritates me more than people talking loudly on cell phones in public is going to Wal-mart and hearing 90% of the people there talking in Spanish.

Now, if I was a high-profile doctor like you, I might have two or three cell phones. All of them loaded up for bear.

If your a fan of touch screens, the new Torch is fantastic, it's touch with a slide out keyboard... best of both worlds. Don't be put off by the initial size of the keypad.... you get used to it real fast. It's truly a great cell.

I actually wanted one with the slide out keyboard. But hey, the day my old phone finally bit the dust and I called in the only droid they were giving away free with a new data plan had all the other features I'd been looking for but was a touch screen.

Free is a great feature, and worth making the adjustment for. :thup:

I liked that a smartphone newb like me could take it out of the box, charge it, turn it on and it made perfect sense.

I read that the Verizon iPhone will have a feature where it will act as a wireless router for up to 5 other "things" (I'm blanking on the term for "things" attached to a network)

That would be a nice feature.

My smart phone can do fractions, sing "I'm a little tea pot" and win an argument with Shaganuts.
(Wait a minute, a slug can win an argument with Shaganuts. Never mind.)

Forum List

Back