Delta

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Grrrrr :blowup:

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/000495.htm

WHAT HAPPENED ON DELTA FLIGHT 6281
By Michelle Malkin · September 07, 2004 07:17 AM
How did Delta Airlines and one its passengers treat a Marine trying to get home for her child's second birthday while on a short leave from Iraq? A letter to the editor in the Benton Courier, linked by Marine Corps Moms, recounted the outrageous incident. Excerpt:

This letter is to the young female soldier from Benton, who I had the privilege to meet this past Friday evening as we were both trying to get home to Arkansas. Returning from a business trip to New Jersey, I was changing planes in Cincinnati when we met. I had just boarded Delta Flight 6281 (operated by Chautauqua Airlines, a Delta Connection Carrier), Delta's last flight of the evening to Little Rock, when you came onboard and sat down in front of me. I, along with other passengers who had already boarded, listened while you shared your story with us. Having spent [more than] six months in Iraq, you were traveling home to Arkansas. While in Iraq, you had been under enemy fire frequently - on many occasions, several times a day. You had lost two fellow soldiers from your post, and just recently (watched) another lose a leg. You were exhausted from two days of travel, having flown from Iraq to Kuwait, from Kuwait to the Netherlands, from the Netherlands to Cincinnati Š but you were excited and happy, because Cincinnati to Little Rock meant you would be home, just in time for your youngest child's second birthday. You had 18 days' leave remaining before returning to Iraq.
This letter is also to the well-dressed, middle-aged woman who boarded the plane late, who through some administrative error had been assigned the same seat as the soldier. Your behavior made it obvious to me and those around me that you had no intention of handling the situation in a mature way. You approached the flight attendant and demanded "your seat." As the flight attendant worked with the gate crew to try and resolve the issue, the soldier was asked to leave the plane. Shortly thereafter, you returned. When I inquired as to whether you were aware that the individual who had previously been in "your seat" was a soldier traveling home from Iraq on leave to see her family, your verbatim response was, "So what Š I'm a victim from Chicago! What's the difference?" All within earshot were dumbfounded. It was apparent that you have no appreciation for your fellow Americans who leave home and family and risk their lives wearing the uniform of the United States military.

This letter is also to Delta Airlines. When I, along with several others onboard, approached the Chautauqua flight attendant volunteering to give up one of our seats for the soldier, she left to ask the pilot if that could be arranged, then returned to inform me that the pilot was discussing it with "ops." I overheard part of her ensuing conversation with the pilot, where he conveyed the message that Delta would not permit a paying passenger to be replaced with a "non-rev" Š so, in the end, the decision which caused the soldier to spend yet another night away from home was a financial one. Why, instead, don't soldiers like this one get preferential treatment from Delta instead of being placed last on the list? I am, and have been for many years, a Delta Medallion frequent flier, and may continue to fly Delta when appropriate. However, in spite of Delta's well-publicized financial difficulties, if it is your corporate policy to prioritize profit margin over principled corporate citizenship, then I will be a vocal opponent of any federal financial aid to Delta Airlines...

Delta's contact information page (motto - "Delta Airlines Customer Care is Designed with You in Mind") is here. And here is a sickening article from last year featuring corporate welfare pig Delta CEO Leo Mullin demanding more taxpayer bailout money in the name of fighting terrorism.

To be fair....it was not Delta Airlines. It was Chautuaqua. Delta only has codeshare and mileage agreements...I think Mr P might be able to shed some light on it.

Delta has done an extraordinary job of supporting the troops and was leading the airline industry in charitable contributions to the troops.

From www.heromiles.org
Due to the overwhelming generosity of Delta's SkyMiles members, Delta has suspended the acceptance of donations to its "SkyMiles for Heroes" campaign. Delta and its SkyMiles members were the first to support the military's Operation Iraqi Freedom Rest and Relaxation program and now have donated more than 250 million miles to the program.

I have donated, and will donate again in support of the men and women who need to come home for various reasons (most notably hardship leave, when a family member becomes ill or a death occurs in the troopers family).

Forum List

Back