Dell Inspiron Mini 9 or Acer Aspire One 8.9-inch Mini?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My husband (being the generous man that he is) has offered to buy me one of these gadgets for Christmas.

They both look great and very similar in weight and size.

Some of the differences are:

Dell has smaller keys, but better touchpad

Acer has longer batterylife, nearly 7 hours vs. 4 hours on Dell

I'm a loyal Dell customer, but this is a tough choice.

Anybody has one of these or looking to buy one?

I honestly have NO IDEA what you are talking about lol!

But you didn't have any reply's, so I thought I'd chime in! :)

My husband (being the generous man that he is) has offered to buy me one of these gadgets for Christmas.

They both look great and very similar in weight and size.

Some of the differences are:

Dell has smaller keys, but better touchpad

Acer has longer batterylife, nearly 7 hours vs. 4 hours on Dell

I'm a loyal Dell customer, but this is a tough choice.

Anybody has one of these or looking to buy one?

Get an EEE-PC!! They rule.

Glad to make you smile!

Now, are you going to tell me what you're talking about! ;)

Yes, sorry for the delay...

dell_mini_inspiron_02.jpg

This is the Dell Inspiron Mini 9

acer-one.jpg

This is the Acer Aspire One 8.9 inch Mini

They are referred to as netbooks as opposed to notebooks. They are not as powerful as laptops, but they are petite and only 2.3 lbs which means I can take it everywhere!

Hope I answered your question. This would be great for spontaneous writing too like while waiting in the doctor's office or riding on the train.

I've played with them, but don't own one because I need a bit more power in a portable computer. They're both nice and too close to call. If you like Dell, you should probably go with that. The battery life, though, is a big consideration. Here are a couple reviews. In the end, it'll probably be a coin toss. Good luck.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Review

Acer Aspire One Review

Thank you for your links. I will be doing my homework. I will also be getting the best deal possible. :)

Hmmm. They are rather cute and they are easy to carry around.... I might get one after all. :eusa_shhh:

Let me know what you find out.

Xsited1, are you looking at them too, now?

I just got off the phone with Dell. The guy wasn't too helpful. He couldn't tell me why I should get the Dell version instead of the Acer.

First, he tells me that Dell Mini 9 that would be comparable to the Acer would be $449 approximately, $50 more than what the Acer is going for. He didn't deny that you get more battery power with the Acer either.

The reviews for Dell and the Acer are similar.

Pros & Cons for Dell

1. Pro - Name
2. Pro - Reliable Customer Service and Tech Support
3. Pro - Better Touchpad
4. Con - Price
5. Con - Shorter Battery Life
6. Con - Smaller keys

Pros & Cons for Acer

1. Pro - Price
2. Pro - Much better battery life
3. Pro - Keys are bigger
4. Con - I've never owned an Acer
5. Con - Don't know how reliable customer and tech support will be
6. Con - Touchpad not as good

This is a tough one, so I'll be consulting with some other folks...

Yes, sorry for the delay...

dell_mini_inspiron_02.jpg

This is the Dell Inspiron Mini 9

acer-one.jpg

This is the Acer Aspire One 8.9 inch Mini

They are referred to as netbooks as opposed to notebooks. They are not as powerful as laptops, but they are petite and only 2.3 lbs which means I can take it everywhere!

Hope I answered your question. This would be great for spontaneous writing too like while waiting in the doctor's office or riding on the train.

Oh, those are cool! Tell your hubby I want one too! ;)

Xsited1, are you looking at them too, now?

I just got off the phone with Dell. The guy wasn't too helpful. He couldn't tell me why I should get the Dell version instead of the Acer.

First, he tells me that Dell Mini 9 that would be comparable to the Acer would be $449 approximately, $50 more than what the Acer is going for. He didn't deny that you get more battery power with the Acer either.

The reviews for Dell and the Acer are similar.

Pros & Cons for Dell

1. Pro - Name
2. Pro - Reliable Customer Service and Tech Support
3. Pro - Better Touchpad
4. Con - Price
5. Con - Shorter Battery Life
6. Con - Smaller keys

Pros & Cons for Acer

1. Pro - Price
2. Pro - Much better battery life
3. Pro - Keys are bigger
4. Con - I've never owned an Acer
5. Con - Don't know how reliable customer and tech support will be
6. Con - Touchpad not as good

This is a tough one, so I'll be consulting with some other folks...

Buy the Acer. Their Customer Service is pretty good too. Its fairly easy to get tech guys on the phone. Acer gives you more bang for your buck.

I saw one of these made by Sony. I think it was actually smaller than your machines. I could not believe that it had a qwerty keyboard and about a 4 in screen. I cannot imagine building a spreadsheet or database on one.

I think I will stick with my Palm.

(For the nasty minded among us, that is a handheld device)

I saw one of these made by Sony. I think it was actually smaller than your machines. I could not believe that it had a qwerty keyboard and about a 4 in screen. I cannot imagine building a spreadsheet or database on one.

I think I will stick with my Palm.

(For the nasty minded among us, that is a handheld device)

This won't be my primary machine. Laptops, even the small 5 lb ones by Dell are too weighty for me.

I went over to look at one at Radio Shack and I was impressed. They had the model that had 120GB, but the other specs were the same.

The keyboard is slightly smaller than what you would find on a desktop, but certainly manageable for me since my hands are petite.

One of the benefits of the Acer is that all the keys are in the "right" place. On the Dell, some of the punctuation keys are located differently.

The rep at the store had it closed, but it took no time for it to open up.

For a netbook, the Acer felt sturdy.

I'll probably order one from Amazon.com -- comes with free shipping. Might get a wireless mouse with it.

Forum List

Back