Delete emails from Microsoft!

If you have Hotmail, select suspicious e-mails, then hit Block Sender. You'll go to a screen where you can choose to just block the specific address, or anything from the domain - and they show you the domain. If it's from microsoft.com (or another domain you trust) then it should be ok. If it's from zxxzs.hackerman.us.net or some other bizarre domain, feel free to block it.

Be careful about who the email is from. It is easy to spoof email headers and for that matter IPs. If you want updates from microsoft go to microsoft.com and get them. Also we did extensive research and lab testing of many of the virus protection products on the market, our tests showed Computer Associates to be the winner. It caught every test virus including in the wild mutations we created for test purposes. It also had one of the lowest performance impacts. Best of all its cheap compared to the rest of the bunch. You don't allways get what you pay for.

Another great way to protect your system is by proactive monitoring (IDS). Finjan corp. (www.finjan.com) produces a terrific product for personal use : SurfinGuard Pro. It does not rely on signature tables that need to be updated, rather it is a policy based system that monitors all downloaded active content (Executables, Java Applets, Javascript, Vbscript, Macro, Etc). When any of these are downloaded, with or without your permission or knowledge, it isolates, and runs them in a protected sandbox. Should the content break policy, it will shut the process, thread, or fiber immediately. It comes with a set of rules that will work for most people, but of course can be configured by the user. It does impart a small performance hit on the system, but its not that noticeable unless you are running an older system, and even then it is tolerable.

Lets be carefull out there !

Never heard of that program before, thanks for the tip!

Do you use it yourself? Does it get in the way of your surfing at all? (slowness or sluggishness?)

I have a p3 1.8ghz with 512ram

I may have to look for that on Kaz.... I mean purchase it :D

Jim,

Dont download from kaz. I'll send you a copy I have. Its a end stage beta version, but very stable, and works great, this way you can evaluate it for yourself.

It can be a little restrictive at times, but you can easily configure it to your likeing. On your system you should not notice any performance degration.

It's about 8.1Meg. I can email it to you if you want or we can make other arrangements (FTP, etc).

heres a good rule of thumb... MS isnt going to email you nothing in the lines of a patch. they put on their site and you get it from there. ive received this email about abtou dozen times so far.

Forum List

Back