Delay to resign and not seek reelection

The guys dirty. I was a wait and see guy with him when the shit first hit the fan mainly because Dems have been flinging so much without any sticken, how could you take these accusations seriously. But the more that comes out about him, its obvious. He's a typical Washington Politician. And we dont need any more of that.

Thankfully, one good thing the republican leadership has done (even if it was only to cover their asses) is to remove problems. Now if they could focus on getting people in their that don't show "Democrat tendencies", maybe we can have a conservative government.

insein said:
The guys dirty. I was a wait and see guy with him when the shit first hit the fan mainly because Dems have been flinging so much without any sticken, how could you take these accusations seriously. But the more that comes out about him, its obvious. He's a typical Washington Politician. And we dont need any more of that.

Thankfully, one good thing the republican leadership has done (even if it was only to cover their asses) is to remove problems. Now if they could focus on getting people in their that don't show "Democrat tendencies", maybe we can have a conservative government.

Unfortunately i have a feeling politicians for the most part are going to have a bigger and bigger divide between what they think and do and what the people want to do regardless of whether they are Democrat or Republican.

The fact is there are people in both parties who are more concerned about being reelected then doing whats right and fixing problems.

We will see this nation split soon. and that is not going to be a good day. i wish and pray that it might never happen, but it likely will.

Not only is DeLay dirty, but he's got blood on his hands as a direct result of his legislative efforts on behalf of clothing manufacturers in the Marianas Islands. 'The Hammer' has fallen, and he's already bought and paid for his place in hell.

A massive loss for the Republican Party, and a hint that many more mighty GOP politicians may be felled by their connections to Abramoff.

One of DeLay's main difficulties, aside from the obvious pain of losing his leadership post and watching the House's lockstep teamwork fall apart (over immigration, Dubai, Katrina, and wiretapping), was that the redistricting he pushed through made his own re-election far less certain.

DeLay's fall from grace should probably be a warning to all of us of the risks of hubris, whatever our occupation, station in life, or political party.

Mariner

AT least the GOP will retain the seat so the Democrats won't get another vote to push their protectionist, obstructionist policies in 2007.

As for DeLay, I never liked him and when all is said and done, I doubt he will be found innocent of the charges against him.

I do not like DeLay. I have disliked him since the first time I saw him on TV. It was an instant dislike, and it had nothing to do with his politics. As far as that goes, he is completely wrong. His so called friends in the GOP have abandoned him, and I think it has more to do with his personality than his legal troubles.

DeLay is a bully, and no one likes a bully. He was successful, yes, but that was because he could raise a lot of money and he could win elections. Now, that is all over. Maybe he can return to his pest control company, but it looks like he is going to jail.

The Republican Revolution is over; the Democratic Dynasty will return!

Madacapa said:
I do not like DeLay. I have disliked him since the first time I saw him on TV. It was an instant dislike, and it had nothing to do with his politics. As far as that goes, he is completely wrong. His so called friends in the GOP have abandoned him, and I think it has more to do with his personality than his legal troubles.

DeLay is a bully, and no one likes a bully. He was successful, yes, but that was because he could raise a lot of money and he could win elections. Now, that is all over. Maybe he can return to his pest control company, but it looks like he is going to jail.

The Republican Revolution is over; the Democratic Dynasty has returned!

Welcome, great first post! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Madacapa said:

The Republican Revolution is over; the Democratic Dynasty will return!
Got bored over at DU?

Bullypulpit said:
Not only is DeLay dirty, but he's got blood on his hands as a direct result of his legislative efforts on behalf of clothing manufacturers in the Marianas Islands. 'The Hammer' has fallen, and he's already bought and paid for his place in hell.

Please, just because Delay is resigning doesn't mean he is dirty. It's possible. But id rather wait till there is, you know, Proof, before I condemn a man.

But then, there are those who go by the theory that he is Republican so naturally he is dirty.

Please, just because Delay is resigning doesn't mean he is dirty. It's possible. But id rather wait till there is, you know, Proof, before I condemn a man.

But then, there are those who go by the theory that he is Republican so naturally he is dirty.

He's been disliked because he is a religious conservative, and this is exactly what the prosecutor wanted with his over reaching of this case, for Delay to step down due to all the aggravation the allegations have caused him and his family.

Tom "The Hammer" DeLay is not seeking re-election and will resign from Congress. Here's my quick political analysis.

The Democrats are going to overplay this big-time. Expect to see the crowing about his leaving and it being an example of the "culture of corruption". That's fine. They can have their week or so on this, but the fact remains that now that they've really lost a "symbol" of that corruption (even though it doesnt' appear DeLay's done anything corrupt), they will be forced to actually put forth ideas, which is always their weak point. Instead of the "referendum" election they'd hoped for, DeLay's resignation helps to but the focus on this being a "choice" election, which is good for the GOP because as poorly as they've governed, the other "choice" is frightening.

As to DeLay, it's quite possible he's leaving now because he might not have won in November. Had he lost at the ballot box, he wouldn't be able to be the highly influential (and well-paid) outsider he's sure to become. It's much better for him to be able to say his rejection didn't come from his own people, but rather the press and the far-left. Had he been defeated in November, he would have run the danger of being viewed as a Daschle-like figure. And if anyone thinks the resignation was due in part to the bogus, disgraceful charges brought by Ronnie Earle then you're crazy. Anyone with half a brain could see the political motivation behind those charges.

Also, DeLay has done the GOP a big favor by resigning now. Had he waited until closer to November, the media focus would've been on "corruption" and would've drowned out he messages of the other GOP candidates. Now, the GOP can put this behind them and start talking about the choice that voters have. (Pat reported way back in December that DeLay was having a big negative impact for GOP candidates in swing districts.

As you know, we have on occasion sharply criticized DeLay for some foolish statements about the GOP's fiscal policy, as well as his leading the charge on the RX Drug Bill. But the fact remains that every conservative and Republican owes Tom DeLay a huge debt of gratitude. For years DeLay was one of the few conservatives out there who was utterly unafraid of being demonized and skewered by the far-left and the MSM and simply forged ahead with a conservative agenda.
He also didn't have "The Hammer" as a nickname for nothing. He had something that the GOP could use in spades these days - a spine. DeLay was an unabashed conservative that was proud to speak out and defend himself, while at the same time taking a lot of arrows as a badge of honor while many others in his party cowered in the corner as if living in fear of a bad mention on The New York Times op-ed page.

Good luck and Godspeed Rep. DeLay. Just leave behind some guts for your colleagues.

http://www.anklebitingpundits.com/

BATMAN said:
Due to one congressman resigning? Hmmm.

Don't you understand? Delay is the brains of the Republican party... Or is that Rove? Or Cheney...

Well one thing we know is it can't possibly be President Bush... After all he is stupid. I mean He only got Cs in Harvard Business School.

Bonnie said:
He's been disliked because he is a religious conservative, and this is exactly what the prosecutor wanted with his over reaching of this case, for Delay to step down due to all the aggravation the allegations have caused him and his family.

If Tom DeLay is a Christian, I'm a Zoroastrian.

<center><h1><a href=http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/09/real.delay/>Tom DeLay's "Christian" Ideals...</a></h1></center>

What do indentured servitude, women forced into prostituion, and involutary abortions have to do with Christianity? You'll have to ask Tom DeLay, as he apparently has no problem with these issues.

But since he gets to keep the $1.2 million in his campaign war-chest, he can add that to the $600,000 remaining in his legal defense fund to try and keep his doughy white ass out of jail.

Don't you understand? Delay is the brains of the Republican party... Or is that Rove? Or Cheney...

Well one thing we know is it can't possibly be President Bush... After all he is stupid. I mean He only got Cs in Harvard Business School.

Don't forget that while being completely stupid he also masterminded 9/11.

Bullypulpit said:
If Tom DeLay is a Christian, I'm a Zoroastrian.

<center><h1><a href=http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/09/real.delay/>Tom DeLay's "Christian" Ideals...</a></h1></center>

What do indentured servitude, women forced into prostituion, and involutary abortions have to do with Christianity? You'll have to ask Tom DeLay, as he apparently has no problem with these issues.

But since he gets to keep the $1.2 million in his campaign war-chest, he can add that to the $600,000 remaining in his legal defense fund to try and keep his doughy white ass out of jail.

And what evidence do YOU have that directly ties Delay into any of the above? And don't give me that left-wing, grasping for straws act either ... DIRECT evidence.

I'm glad to see most of the Republicans on this board have turned their backs on Delay.

Delay can try and lie and say poor polling results are the reason he is resigning but that's obviously not the case.(Even if this is the actual reaon, it is still a poor one. Avatar was correct in faulting politicians for only wanting to win and secure their own power rather than running to do what one feels is right for the country.)

But the real reason Delay resigned is because one of his aides pleaded guilty. Even if he did nothing and is completely clean of the charges laid against him, the fact that a top aide committed felonies under his nose is bad enough. it proves him inept at best. He also needs his campaign money to cover legal fees. God forbid he spend his own money for his defense.

GunnyL said:
And what evidence do YOU have that directly ties Delay into any of the above? And don't give me that left-wing, grasping for straws act either ... DIRECT evidence.

Here ya go...

<center><a href=http://www.house.gov/georgemiller/marianasupdate.html>New Developments -- Abramoff, DeLay and the Northern Mariana Islands</a></center>

<center><a href=http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1679189&page=1>Lobbyist's Credit Card Bill Outs DeLay Trip</a></center>

<center><a href=http://cnn.allpolitics.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=CNN.com+-+The+real+scandal+of+Tom+DeLay+-+May+9%2C+2005&expire=-1&urlID=14174067&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2005%2FPOLITICS%2F05%2F09%2Freal.delay%2F&partnerID=2001>The real scandal of Tom DeLay</a></center>

It's all public record old son!

menewa said:
I'm glad to see most of the Republicans on this board have turned their backs on Delay.

Delay can try and lie and say poor polling results are the reason he is resigning but that's obviously not the case.(Even if this is the actual reaon, it is still a poor one. Avatar was correct in faulting politicians for only wanting to win and secure their own power rather than running to do what one feels is right for the country.)

But the real reason Delay resigned is because one of his aides pleaded guilty. Even if he did nothing and is completely clean of the charges laid against him, the fact that a top aide committed felonies under his nose is bad enough. it proves him inept at best. He also needs his campaign money to cover legal fees. God forbid he spend his own money for his defense.

We've turned our backs on Delay? Simply because we find it good that he resigned doesn't necessarily mean we agree he is guilty. Quite the opposite Im willing to bet he will be acquitted within a few months. Why? Because the only laws he supposedly broke didnt exist when he supposedly broke them.

For years DeLay was one of the few conservatives out there who was utterly unafraid of being demonized and skewered by the far-left and the MSM and simply forged ahead with a conservative agenda.

He also didn't have "The Hammer" as a nickname for nothing. He had something that the GOP could use in spades these days - a spine. DeLay was an unabashed conservative that was proud to speak out and defend himself, while at the same time taking a lot of arrows as a badge of honor while many others in his party cowered in the corner as if living in fear of a bad mention on The New York Times op-ed page.

Good luck and Godspeed Rep. DeLay. Just leave behind some guts for your colleagues.

Hear! Hear! DeLay DeMan!

:dance:

I think the celebrating dimwits are going to be mucho sorry for having played their politics of personal destruction with DeLay........he is a conservative force to be reckoned with...and DeLay is far from destroyed...in fact he's looking forward to his next phase...could he possibly be the true conservative leader we need?

Forum List

Back