Déjà vu all over again

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Obama walked back his claim from yesterday.

This really makes me wonder, exactly what did Obama lecture about in his class at the University of Chicago? It turns out that he "taught" due process and civil rights. That could explain why he doesn't understand Lochner, which wasn't even a commerce clause case.

My question is, if Obama thinks a decision that did not even involve the federal government is the last time the court overturned a commerce clause case involving economic issues, how does he explain Free Enterprise Fund v PCAOB or US v United Foods, Inc.? The latter is particularly telling vis a vis Obamacare since it was decided 7-2, and the court ruled that the government couldn't actually require mushroom growers to participate in a mandatory mushroom promotion program.

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes in and tells me I am getting what Obama said wrong, again.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbtAFq7dP8]Bill Murray - Best scenes from the "Groundhog Day" - 4 - YouTube[/ame]

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,187
    Considering Lochner is a Due Process clause cause, you'd think a Constitutional lawyer in the Due Process area would actually understand it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. imbalance

imbalance Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I like how he ignores the fundamental issue; no one is questioning the Federal Government's authority to regulate commerce but rather the Federal Government's authority to coerce commerce (shredding US contract law) that would otherwise not exist.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,187
    Actually, I would argue against the Federal Governments ability to regulate commerce. The Constitution only allows them to regulate interstate commerce.

And They had a much stricter definition of what commerce was. Using their definition of commerce, it's debateable whether health insurance qualifies.

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Personally, I believe the commerce clause was intended solely to prevent trade wars between the states.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1