Defund Planned Parenthood?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by chanel, Jun 22, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    DILLER: Planned Parenthood's missing millions - Washington Times

Anyone surprised?

2. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    That a Washington Times article fools you into thinking something?

Not really.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I didn't realize Planned Parenthood got any taxpayer money. If that's the case then, yes, they should be defunded. There is a whole boatload of funding that should be brought to an end.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Thought we didn't fund abortions.

I can hear it now, "Those funds didn't go to provide abortions. The funds went to providing mammograms, STD Testing, counseling etc. etc. etc."

Well, let me tell you this, every dollar the U.S. Government gives PP to provide for STD Testing is another dollar PP can use to provide abortions.

Immie

5. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,024
    We don't fund abortions, federally it is against the law...so who KNOWS what the heck this article is talking about? we do fund PLANNED pregnancies and we do spend federal money on birth control I thought, but it is against federal law to fund abortions....States, can do what they wish...fund or not fund abortions.

6. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,024
    Don't you think the article is lacking in pertinent information immie and that it did such, PURPOSELY....otherwise they would have linked to their info and analysis imo?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Should we go back to the good old days? Keep the state out of personal decisions that are hard enough without the moralizer who do nothing but preach what you should do, or what rights you have. The same people would vote to end child support - hypocrisy knows no limit.

"In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time." HISTORY OF ABORTION

http://bostonreview.net/BR20.3/thomson.php

Top 10 Anti-Abortion Myths - Top 10 Myths About Abortion

Why Francis Beckwiths Case Against Abortion Fails

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    You do realize, don't you?, that if you give me a million dollars and tell me that I can use it for any purpose except for the purpose of providing abortions, I now have a million dollars from the remainder of my budget freed up to provide abortions. Nothing but a slight of hands, don't cha think?

Immie

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    They gave the source in the first paragraph... The Government Accounting Office.

I'm sure if you have questions about their report, you can find the report on the GAO's website.

Besides, that had nothing to do with my post. Give me a million dollars and tell me I can't use it for abortions and I will say okay, I won't. However, It does mean that I now have a million dollars that I had allocated to something you approve of that I can use for abortions.

That makes us both happy. You, "the government and citizens of the U.S.", get to fund glorious programs that make you feel good, like free STD testing for couples and I, the abortion provider, get a cushion fund that allows me to readjust my budget and take a million dollars that I had planned on using for testing and transfer it to what I think is more important, abortions. A real win/win situation... isn't it?

Immie

10. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,024
    ummmmmm, where did you get the money in your rest of your budget? From people DONATING their own money to planned parenthood, so NO you did not use federal money.