Defund Planned Parenthood?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A new report from the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) on federal tax money funneled into Planned Parenthood and similar organizations raises more questions than it answers about the nation's largest abortion chain.

Planned Parenthood Federation of America's (PPFA) audits show the organization spent just $657.1 million between 2002 and 2008 from federal government grants and programs, but the abortion behemoth's own annual reports show that it took in $2.3 billion from government grants and programs during the same time period.

That's not pocket change. Why the discrepancy?

The report (the first of its kind since 2002) was released in response to a request from 31 U.S. senators and representatives and in an atmosphere increasingly hostile to abortion. Not surprisingly. then, its findings are fueling an escalating outcry to defund Planned Parenthood.

DILLER: Planned Parenthood's missing millions - Washington Times

Anyone surprised?

I didn't realize Planned Parenthood got any taxpayer money. If that's the case then, yes, they should be defunded. There is a whole boatload of funding that should be brought to an end.

Thought we didn't fund abortions.

I can hear it now, "Those funds didn't go to provide abortions. The funds went to providing mammograms, STD Testing, counseling etc. etc. etc."

Well, let me tell you this, every dollar the U.S. Government gives PP to provide for STD Testing is another dollar PP can use to provide abortions.

Immie

I can hear it now, "Those funds didn't go to provide abortions. The funds went to providing mammograms, STD Testing, counseling etc. etc. etc."

Well, let me tell you this, every dollar the U.S. Government gives PP to provide for STD Testing is another dollar PP can use to provide abortions.

Immie

We don't fund abortions, federally it is against the law...so who KNOWS what the heck this article is talking about? we do fund PLANNED pregnancies and we do spend federal money on birth control I thought, but it is against federal law to fund abortions....States, can do what they wish...fund or not fund abortions.

Don't you think the article is lacking in pertinent information immie and that it did such, PURPOSELY....otherwise they would have linked to their info and analysis imo?

Should we go back to the good old days? Keep the state out of personal decisions that are hard enough without the moralizer who do nothing but preach what you should do, or what rights you have. The same people would vote to end child support - hypocrisy knows no limit.

"In the 1950s, about a million illegal abortions a year were performed in the U.S., and over a thousand women died each year as a result. Women who were victims of botched or unsanitary abortions came in desperation to hospital emergency wards, where some died of widespread abdominal infections. Many women who recovered from such infections found themselves sterile or chronically and painfully ill. The enormous emotional stress often lasted a long time." HISTORY OF ABORTION

http://bostonreview.net/BR20.3/thomson.php

Top 10 Anti-Abortion Myths - Top 10 Myths About Abortion

Why Francis Beckwiths Case Against Abortion Fails

Immie

We don't fund abortions, federally it is against the law...so who KNOWS what the heck this article is talking about? we do fund PLANNED pregnancies and we do spend federal money on birth control I thought, but it is against federal law to fund abortions....States, can do what they wish...fund or not fund abortions.

You do realize, don't you?, that if you give me a million dollars and tell me that I can use it for any purpose except for the purpose of providing abortions, I now have a million dollars from the remainder of my budget freed up to provide abortions. Nothing but a slight of hands, don't cha think?

Immie

Don't you think the article is lacking in pertinent information immie and that it did such, PURPOSELY....otherwise they would have linked to their info and analysis imo?

They gave the source in the first paragraph... The Government Accounting Office.

I'm sure if you have questions about their report, you can find the report on the GAO's website.

Besides, that had nothing to do with my post. Give me a million dollars and tell me I can't use it for abortions and I will say okay, I won't. However, It does mean that I now have a million dollars that I had allocated to something you approve of that I can use for abortions.

That makes us both happy. You, "the government and citizens of the U.S.", get to fund glorious programs that make you feel good, like free STD testing for couples and I, the abortion provider, get a cushion fund that allows me to readjust my budget and take a million dollars that I had planned on using for testing and transfer it to what I think is more important, abortions. A real win/win situation... isn't it?

Immie

Immie

You do realize, don't you?, that if you give me a million dollars and tell me that I can use it for any purpose except for the purpose of providing abortions, I now have a million dollars from the remainder of my budget freed up to provide abortions. Nothing but a slight of hands, don't cha think?

Immie

ummmmmm, where did you get the money in your rest of your budget? From people DONATING their own money to planned parenthood, so NO you did not use federal money.

Immie

ummmmmm, where did you get the money in your rest of your budget? From people DONATING their own money to planned parenthood, so NO you did not use federal money.

It is all slight of hand sweet heart. I was going to provide the testing one way or another out of my budget. Now you generously give me a million dollars. That means that I now have another million dollars and can provide another million dollars worth of abortions.

By the way, in this case, PP, much of the other funding also comes from the government in other grants.

Immie

Guess what? For most of us this is a non-issue. This is not the time of the Spanish Inquisition, this is the 21st Century. Woman's choice. I would rather a woman have an early abortion than have an unwanted child that grows up to have the same attitude toward the rest of humanity.

Now if you want to institute a special tax that will support all the results of unwanted pregnancies, thourgh at least 4 years of college, then we can talk morality. Until then, you are just playing the part of the high and mighty moral cop.

immie, in general, I do not support abortions....but I disagree with your opinion on this....

though I am interested in finding this analysis to figure out what the heck the washingtimes op is talking about....

Guess what? For most of us this is a non-issue. This is not the time of the Spanish Inquisition, this is the 21st Century. Woman's choice. I would rather a woman have an early abortion than have an unwanted child that grows up to have the same attitude toward the rest of humanity.

Now if you want to institute a special tax that will support all the results of unwanted pregnancies, thourgh at least 4 years of college, then we can talk morality. Until then, you are just playing the part of the high and mighty moral cop.

I happen to think you are oh so wrong on the "For most of us this is a non-issue". If you were right abortion would not be the hot topic it is today and has been for decades.

Me, personally, I would not be opposed to the idea of a "tax that will support all the results of unwanted pregnancies", but then, I am not opposed to Welfare either. This tax of yours would have to be set up in a way that prevented abuse, I realize that is nearly impossible, but I'm not against the idea of providing a helping hand for those in need. Surely there is room in our hearts to do so, not to mention the budget if we cut out even half of the crap that we are funding today.

Immie

Last edited:

the pro-choice position is also one of playing morality cop.

immie, in general, I do not support abortions....but I disagree with your opinion on this....

though I am interested in finding this analysis to figure out what the heck the washingtimes op is talking about....

I know and have known for a long time that in general you do not support abortion. I'm not sure how you disagree with my opinion on this or that you even know what my opinion is since truthfully, I have not stated my opinion. I have not called for the defunding of Planned Parenthood at all. I would love to eliminate abortions altogether, but, I do not believe that Planned Parenthood needs to be demolished to accomplish that task.

Nor do I believe that dismantling PP would do anything at all to reduce the number of abortions nationwide. As long as women want, need or feel they need, abortions this is going to be an issue. We cannot eliminate abortion by having the government say, "thou shalt not have an abortion". We have to go about that task in other ways i.e. education and winning the hearts of the people. Dismantling PP would only open the door for others to perform abortion and maybe those newcomers would not be qualified or safe although some I am sure would come from PP itself.

Immie

Immie

It is all slight of hand sweet heart. I was going to provide the testing one way or another out of my budget. Now you generously give me a million dollars. That means that I now have another million dollars and can provide another million dollars worth of abortions.

By the way, in this case, PP, much of the other funding also comes from the government in other grants.

Immie
I see this is developing into another conspiracy theory. When in doubt, they always come in handy.

Immie

Immie

True. Planned Parenthood is all about abortions - if a pregnancy wasn't "planned" - just do away with it. That's the counsel they give. They make it OK to f**k your brains out and then fix it with multiple abortions ... to encourage teen pregnancy by shutting the door on parental notification (maybe those parents know something about a daughter's health that would make abortion a very dangerous proposition for that child) ... to "control" the population of certain races or "undesirables."

We live in something of a rose-colored glasses society ... and that's not a good thing.

Someone else posted a "history of abortion" - from a feminist article at that - which probably should be taken with a big grain of salt. Over a 1,000,000 abortions a year in the '50s? I don't think so. "Back alley" abortions, yes - by the millions - no.

Mores in the '50s - and even in the early '60s were a whole sight different that mores of today. US population was much lower then than it is now, there were only 48 states back in the '50s, and if you do a little basic math it works out, on average, to be 20,833 abortions per state. That seems a bit far-fetched. Generally, married women for the most part gave birth to their children. Unwed mothers were not looked upon very favorably - "good girls" didn't get involved in such situations because they would get bad reputations. It could be a real source of embarrassment.

Curfews were big back in the day - 11:00 pm usually - and you'd better have a real good excuse if you were out after curfew. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I picked up the newspaper one day (yes, I read the paper when I was a teen) - and right there on the front page was an article about a police roundup of kids who were out past curfew - and there was a list of names of the kids, their parents, their addresses ... it wasn't pretty. There were names of kids I recognized from school. Embarrassing - but I don't recall ever seeing another article like it after that.

Forum List

Back