defrosting meat.

Discussion in 'Food & Wine' started by Dan, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Anybody have any hints on how to quickly defrost hamburger, or steaks? Most of the time, I decide what I want to eat right when I start cooking, so I don't have time to wait for the stuff to defrost (OK, I'm too impatient to wait). Anyone know any quick ways to defrost?

2. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Only quickest way is to use your microwave, do you have one and does it have a defrost option on it??? If not, run under cold water, it losens them up - for burgers, just enough to seperate them and cook, I cook burgers frozen anyway!

3. winston churchi

winston churchi Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9

I don't have an answer to you query. I just thought of you as a person who would use McDonalds / Wendys or someplace like that.

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Agree w/Janeen. If you are using chopped meat in a recipe where you don't care if it breaks up, say, for tacos or sloppy joes, just cook it frozen (add a little water if it gets to stuck). Just keep scraping the cooked off the frozen block with a spatula.

Hambergers- don't defrost...cook frozen.

Everything else, try microwaving. However, I will warn you that I've never succeeded in using one for that successfully.

May I suggest, and not sarcastically, that you cook a few items and then refreeze them for nights when you need quick meals? Pasta sauce w/meatballs defrosts almost instantly in the pot, mac&cheese freezes well (cook in throw away foil pans unless you want to microwave, then use glass/plastic), meatloaf made in muffin pans freezes as individual servings, etc.

5. Jackass

Jackass Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can also try running hot water over it. Thats works pretty well if you move the meat around.