Definition Of Religion.

Definition Of Religion:

That's an easy one. It's the belief in mysticism and the occult without any corroborating evidence. See faith:

Faith: The belief in the supernatural without evidence including all of some of the following:

Angels
Demons
Gods
Devils
Fairies
Leprechauns
Sprites
gnomes
witches
wizards
ghosts (holy or friendly)
spirits (see ghosts)
Dragons
Trolls
Ogres
and all the characters in DC and Marvel Comics

Science -
the discovery of natural rules, a process driven by faith, followed by formulation, while data are used in experiements to test and to falsify the formulation.

Religion -
the exploration into the realm where human knowledge (including science) is futile about. It is about a quesiton that human with their knowledge and science can never answer, and the question is,

What will you be after death, does soul exist?

Moreover, unlike a red unicorn, where soul exists concerns one's own life.

I finally found this thread--I knew it existed but never had the time to look for it.

What is religion? I saw a youtube video featuring the webster definition of it, and came to the conclusion that it was not precise. In fact, a bit circular if you asked me.

So Here is my badly created definition of religion.

Religion--a set of conduct and rituals intended to create a set of identities based on a Philosophical perception of reality.

For instance, noot all religions have gods(Buddhism is based on the teachings of an enlightened teacher--not a god) nor must it be steeped in the super natural. But the key is the creation of an identity(ies) and the perception of reality that promotes these identities.

So, is it possible to create a religion that only uses a priori and empirical logic? If you could, you could create something like the Vulcans of star trek. But there has to be a Philosphical basis for that type of personality.

Is Atheism a religion under this definition? I say no since their is no general set of perceptions or rituals that will generate a set of identities nor any method to ensure the teaching of such peronalities nor a favored one.

Religion: that which is diametrically opposed to reality

But that is the problem. Religion depends on a perception of reality--it does not mean that this perception is accurate nor complete, but is used to provide a basis for the creation a set of preferred identities.

Forum List

Back