Definition of conservative

What best describes your politics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Conservatism is a political and social philosophy that promotes the maintenance of traditional institutions and supports, at the most, minimal and gradual change in society. Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others oppose modernism and seek a return to the way things were. Wikipedia

How do you define conservatism? Do you think you have to support a big military to be a conservative? How about abortion? Can you be for abortion yet be a conservative? Or can you disagree on some things and still be a conservative? Can you be conservative on economic issues and a liberal on social issues?

I come down as Conservative to Libertarian every time I take one of those tests, and I am for Abortion with some Reasonable Limitation.

I am a Fiscal Conservative, and a Social Liberal.

So yes!

:)

"and of course like before you never show one of your links backing this shit up.....unless its a link of the Christian Right or a Far Right group or just some FAR Right idiot making the statement....throw that tent up Dean......im still waiting for those links saying how REPUBLICANS want to KILL all GAYS......hate blacks......want Latinos gone....want to abolish science.....want a mandatory religion......still waiting....."

That pretty much describes the Republican agenda except for the part where they reduce taxes for the rich, double the National Debt, bomb anybody that disagrees with them, and let corporations screw us and the planet at will.

the REPUBLICAN agenda or just some FAR Right assholes?...if you say REPUBLICAN agenda show me a link showing where REPUBLICANS want to kill off all gays.....and the other things mentioned......or are you going to be Deans dance partner?....

How do you define conservatism? Do you think you have to support a big military to be a conservative?No. How about abortion? I'm against it except to save the mothers life. There are far better and human choices for every other situation. Can you be for abortion yet be a conservative?Sure, but you probably are not. We don't all think alike. Or can you disagree on some things and still be a conservative? Can you be conservative on economic issues and a liberal on social issues? Sure.

There are 2 basic types of conservatives; economic, and social. There's a 3rd, Constitutional, but that is more a a catchall for both eco/soc.

I think one thing we all agree on is; "If it aint broke, don't fix it." Conservatives see America as the best place in the world to live. Liberals see America that doesn't look like the rest of the world, and wants to be like the EU (it seems). Since around 4 countries are having riots due to no more money for the free ride, you would think this would give them a reason to pause. But it doesn't, and for the life of me, I can't understand why.

"and of course like before you never show one of your links backing this shit up.....unless its a link of the Christian Right or a Far Right group or just some FAR Right idiot making the statement....throw that tent up Dean......im still waiting for those links saying how REPUBLICANS want to KILL all GAYS......hate blacks......want Latinos gone....want to abolish science.....want a mandatory religion......still waiting....."

That pretty much describes the Republican agenda except for the part where they reduce taxes for the rich, double the National Debt, bomb anybody that disagrees with them, and let corporations screw us and the planet at will.

the REPUBLICAN agenda or just some FAR Right assholes?...if you say REPUBLICAN agenda show me a link showing where REPUBLICANS want to kill off all gays.....and the other things mentioned......or are you going to be Deans dance partner?....

They are just a couple of punks spewing junk just to piss people off. They know it's not true, they are just fucking around knowing they have nothing to stand on.

I believe that a political conservatism is the belief that maintaining the traditions and practices that have served us well in the past is the best course of action.

They support government, but only as much government as is needed to maintain an orderly and productive society.

I believe that political liberalism believes that it is our duty to correct traditions and policies which are failing to serve us well.

Liberals support government, but only as much government as is needed to maintain an orderly and productive society.

My views of the meaning of these words, politically, is far cry from what many of you apparently believe those words mean, isn't it?

Hence the debates that we have so often depend not on facts or logic, but on semantics.

I believe that a political conservatism is the belief that maintaining the traditions and practices that have served us well in the past is the best course of action.

They support government, but only as much government as is needed to maintain an orderly and productive society.

I believe that political liberalism believes that it is our duty to correct traditions and policies which are failing to serve us well.

Liberals support government, but only as much government as is needed to maintain an orderly and productive society.

My views of the meaning of these words, politically, is far cry from what many of you apparently believe those words mean, isn't it?

Hence the debates that we have so often depend not on facts or logic, but on semantics.

It is because those identified as American liberals now are so mostly 180 degrees opposite of the Classical Liberalism of the late 18th and 19th centuries, that conservatives have become the modern liberals. The dictionary definitions or those of past centuries don't apply to American ideological labels.

I am guessing that probably a plurality of modern American conservatives are pro life, but a substantial number of American conservatives are pro choice. And among those are a wide variety of opinions of the level of government, if any, who should be involved in making whatever policy re that. Among conservatives you find pro unrestricted guns and some reasonable gun control. You find pro death penalty and anti-death penalty. You find pro so-called 'gay marriage' and anti-gay marriage with a myriad of ideas of how to constructively address that issue.

But ultimately the modern American conservative is defined as one who embraces the Founders' vision of a nation governed by no group or dictator or king, but one in which the rights of the people are secured and they are otherwise left to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as they choose to do that.

do away with the stuff thats not working.....make better that which is working....sounds good to me.....its called balance....something we dont see anymore in Govt......

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub."

Works for me.

Forum List

Back