Define liberals and conservatives

Just to throw it out there..... :badgrin:

liberal: The world owes you everything....and life is free.

conservative: The world owes you nothing... and pay for the life you want.

Last edited:
Just to trow it out there..... :badgrin:

Hmmm? Not my take, which is...

Liberal: willing to pay for stuff

Conservative: resistant to paying for stuff

liberal: Wanting to take what others have

conservative: Wanting to keep what they have.

Liberal - Using other people's money and resources to support what they believe in.

Conservative -- Using their own money and resources to support what they believe in.

Exactly why ya'll have been labeled conservative and not liberal. You fear you'll have to pay for something you cannot park in your driveway nor carry in your front door. Conservative, cheapskate, tightwad... choose your synonym.

Liberals are not afraid of paying into the system, and have confidence they and the society will benefit indirectly or whatever. Liberal, easygoing, generous and so on.

So you see, the labels do not define us. Our outlooks and core beliefs create the labels that describe us.

Simple to grasp.

Exactly why ya'll have been labeled conservative and not liberal. You fear you'll have to pay for something you cannot park in your driveway nor carry in your front door. Conservative, cheapskate, tightwad... choose your synonym.

Liberals are not afraid of paying into the system, and have confidence they and the society will benefit indirectly or whatever. Liberal, easygoing, generous and so on.

So you see, the labels do not define us. Our outlooks and core beliefs create the labels that describe us.

Simple to grasp.

Of course liberals are not afraid of paying for anything.... that is becasue they want someone else to pay for it....and or get it all for free.

i do however agree with the description of easygoing and generous... with other peoples money.

If I like an average amount of mayo, does that make me a centerist?

There he goes! Typical of his type, trying to hijack the definition of 'average'! Who made him dictator?

Yes, of course I'm joking. To get to the original question, the definition of 'liberal' depends on which side of the Atlantic one stands. It is a faux amis between even the British use and American use and in fact means almost the opposite.

As I understand it, US liberals want to liberalize the capacity of government to act in society. Conservatives want government to remain outside social issues and relegated to only the essential functions. One expects grievances and difficulties to be actively ameliorated where possible by legislation if necessary. The other prefers to allow 'nature' to take its course.

Both have good arguments.

Political definitions in America have become as slippery as greased eels, they are practically meaningless in today's climate, neither conservatives or liberals here fit the classical definitions and we all have our own views on what means what. I am becoming tired of the labels we so carelessly slap on one another but we still must use them to even have a political discussion. The thing I hate most is that we are pretty much required to accept the whole slate of positions on a host of issues when we refer to ourselves as liberal or conservative. Some days I wonder why we even bother when entire threads are spent arguing over what words mean rather than settling on some common frame of reference and actually talking about an issue for Christ's sake.

Simple to grasp.

Of course liberals are not afraid of paying for anything.... that is becasue they want someone else to pay for it....and or get it all for free.

i do however agree with the description of easygoing and generous... with other peoples money.

Actually self-described Liberals are the most-educated and share the top earning position with Enterpriser Conservatives (businesses owners essentially).

We not only pay more in but are willing to pay even more into the society from which we and our fellow Americans benefit.

Conservatives thus pay less in and whine about having to pay taxes and are loathe to pay a nickel more.

Liberal: People over profits

Conservative: Profits over people

Liberal open to new ideas and changes. Conservative, let's keep what we got by conserving.
This is probably close to the original definition

Gets complicated because liberals want to conserve the environment. Conservatives, less so because they believe it'll put a burden on profit making.

Conservatives are stronger on law and order. But only when it comes to individual crime. Not corporate crime. Conservative. Let the wealthy keep what they have because they worked hard for it, even though this isn't always the case.
Liberal, how much wealth do they need, also realizing many of the super wealth was made by intrigue, chicanery, outright theft and also inheritance. Conservative, let them keep all their money and pass it on to their heirs.

Liberals want a diverse country they say, including allowing too many people coming here that have nothing to offer but many needs, which overburdens the safety nets. As we get close to having more minorities from the third world here, especially low income, the conservatives will start leaning liberal to get the votes.

We're probably all a mixture of both. My opinion

Liberal - Using other people's money and resources to support what they believe in.

Conservative -- Using their own money and resources to support what they believe in.

Not always so. George Bush used eminent domain, taking someone elses property, to get rich. And the building of the stadium was financed by taxpayers funds by floating a bond. And George Bush was classical conservative when it came to making sure that the very wealthy paid as little taxes as possible.

Not always so. George Bush used eminent domain, taking someone elses property, to get rich. And the building of the stadium was financed by taxpayers funds by floating a bond. And George Bush was classical conservative when it came to making sure that the very wealthy paid as little taxes as possible.

Like I told Luissa, nothing is exact in politics.
Maybe I should add.....

Politician -- Promises to use your money for your own good while spending it to benefit him/herself.

Simple to grasp.

Actually self-described Liberals are the most-educated and share the top earning position with Enterpriser Conservatives (businesses owners essentially).

We not only pay more in but are willing to pay even more into the society from which we and our fellow Americans benefit.

Conservatives thus pay less in and whine about having to pay taxes and are loathe to pay a nickel more.

Ill agree some of them are how you describe them.....however, most of them are not.

Forum List

Back