~Define An Alcoholic~

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Dabs, Jul 28, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,749
    You don't want your room mates to drink? guess that counts me out.

2. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,749
    When I was in AA counseling in the Military I was told the person who drinks and gets into trouble whether it be a domestic incident, DUI, public intoxication etc under the influence is a alcoholic, doesn't matter if they drink everyday or just once a week. They told me someone who drinks everyday but doesn't get into trouble is not an alcoholic, I think thats bullshit.

3. Ali777

Ali777 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    That's ridiculous. Alcohol is an addictive drug. It's actually a toxin. Drinking in excess causes your body to adapt to it. The more a person drinks the more dependent their bodies become on the drug, as it adapts. Compulsive behavior and addiction are two completely different things. That's why I believe they have what's called a dual-diagnosis, of addictive disorder and other mental health illnesses. But, I'm admittedly not a doctor. So I could be wrong. Don't think so though.

4. Ali777

Ali777 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    AA is a fucking cult.

5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    Anyone who has to ask.

6. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    For now...

7. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    I have to agree. Having been married to a BAD alcoholic (no, it didn't start out that way), AA to him was a joke (as it was to two of his still surviving friends who quit on their own when they'd had enough). The reason is that in order to be motivated to stop drinking, a person has to stop hanging around with people who drink or USED TO DRINK, because that's all they want to talk about it and it keeps the "subject" front/center. When someone isn't exposed to talking about drinking or not drinking all the time, establishes new normal friendships and realizes that alcohol isn't the be-all and end-all of every day, the memory eventually begins to fade and s/he starts to truly recover.

8. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    Same here, but my ritual is that cocktail before dinner. It's more a ritual than a requirement.

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    You need to do much more research on alcoholism, because all of your questions can be answered. It's a progressive disease, and even if one has quit for 20 years, one drink can drag that person back to the emotional and physical dependency he/she was at the time he put down that last drink 20 years ago.

You're right in that when alcoholism reaches the point where it is in complete control, an alcholic doesn't give a shit...about you, his children, his job, his finances. The only thing that matters is having enough left in the bottle to get him past the shakes in the morning and then deal with how he'll find enough to get through the rest of the day. And the cycle continues 24/7.

You're foolish to remain with this man. He knows he's got a good thing going because YOU solve all those problems for him.

Sign me, voice of experience.

10. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    Eventually, it has nothing to do with self control. Eventually it gets out of control, period.