Deficits With And Without The Iraq War

Nice try.. there are things that Bush DID stand for that I agreed with... the economic spending platform was not one of them...

You see.. my principles are to vote for the candidate that best matches up to my stances on my scorecard... for example, in the most recent election McCain scored favorable on 8 stances out of 20 that I had on my scorecard... Obama scored a whopping ZERO (even worse than Gore or Kerry did on my scorecards for those elections)... unfortunately, as a conservative, I have not had a candidate score a passing grade of 60% in any presidential election since I started choosing my votes in this way... hate to admit that when I was a young and naive 19, I did not look into things as well and just blindly cast a vote for Dukakis... learned the scorecard method as a soldier in 92

What did you agree with Bush on? I'm curious.

Then you clearly didn't bother to look at third party candidates. You really shouldn't complain about what candidates are offered up each election season if you're willing to play sheep and go along with it.

Again... YOUR PERSONAL feelings and conclusions do not make them fact, peepers

What you have posted is complete, unsubstantiated bullshit

That can be backed up by reliable sources, numerous books, etc. RIIIIGHT.

War costs may total $2.4 trillion
Updated 10/25/2007 3:25 PM

COMPARING U.S. WARS

Cost of wars, adjusted for inflation: (in billions; FY 2008 dollars)

World War II $3,900

Korea $456

Vietnam $518

Persian Gulf War $88

Iraq/Afghanistan $604

Sources: Congressional Budget Office, Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, USA TODAY research

By Ken Dilanian, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The cost of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could total $2.4 trillion through the next decade, or nearly $8,000 per man, woman and child in the country, according to a Congressional Budget Office estimate scheduled for release Wednesday.
A previous CBO estimate put the wars' costs at more than $1.6 trillion. This one adds $705 billion in interest, taking into account that the conflicts are being funded with borrowed money.

The new estimate also includes President Bush's request Monday for another $46 billion in war funding, said Rep. John Spratt, D-S.C., budget committee chairman, who provided the CBO's new numbers to USA TODAY.

Assuming that Iraq accounts for about 80% of that total, the Iraq war would cost $1.9 trillion, including $564 billion in interest, said Thomas Kahn, Spratt's staff director. The committee holds a hearing on war costs this morning.

War costs may total $2.4 trillion - USATODAY.com

No you didn't. You misrepresented and twisted information - which in your worldview does qualify as sources. But that doesn't work for rational grown ups.

You don't see the PEW research study as a valuable opinion? There are millions of websites out there that say the same thing, millions of articles. Do you not REMEMBER the elections of 2000 and 2004? I do. And it was ALL about the evangelical vote.

Really? 2000 and 2004 WERE ALL ABOUT THE EVANGELICAL VOTE?

I don't recall bringing religion into this discussion. I posted an analysis of CBO data. The only Religion in all of this is your Worship of Big Government Statism.

And here we have your proof - it's SPECULATION.

The CBO estimates assume that 75,000 troops will remain in both countries through 2017, including roughly 50,000 in Iraq. That is a "very speculative" projection, though it's not entirely unreasonable, said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst at the non-partisan Lexington Institute.

As of Sept. 30, the two wars have cost $604 billion, the CBO says. Adjusted for inflation, that is higher than the costs of the Korea and Vietnam conflicts, according to the Washington-based Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.

The figures in the graph in the OP are as of 2010. Please learn to read for comprehension.

Last edited:
Ugh, it's useless to argue with stupid corporatists. You guys cannot see beyond your expected yet never forthcoming "trickle". What you ultimately want is to bankrupt this country and turn it into a true third world country. If you keep doing the bidding for the 1% that control 90% of everything, and no one stops you, that is exactly what you will get. Mark my words. Don't believe me? Many others can see the writing on the wall. This was in my Irish online news today.

Is America becoming a third world country? | New, Next, Now! | IrishCentral

Speaking of stupid - including projections for 2011 through 2017 which are hypothetical in the actuals for 2010 and earlier is dumber and dumberer.

I'd be thrilled to see the government comply with actual accrual accounting. If they did so, the $3T you are worried about for Iraq and Afghanistan would be dwarfed by unfunded entitlements. That's what is turning us into a Third World Country, bub.

Last edited:
Nice try.. there are things that Bush DID stand for that I agreed with... the economic spending platform was not one of them...

You see.. my principles are to vote for the candidate that best matches up to my stances on my scorecard... for example, in the most recent election McCain scored favorable on 8 stances out of 20 that I had on my scorecard... Obama scored a whopping ZERO (even worse than Gore or Kerry did on my scorecards for those elections)... unfortunately, as a conservative, I have not had a candidate score a passing grade of 60% in any presidential election since I started choosing my votes in this way... hate to admit that when I was a young and naive 19, I did not look into things as well and just blindly cast a vote for Dukakis... learned the scorecard method as a soldier in 92

What did you agree with Bush on? I'm curious.

Then you clearly didn't bother to look at third party candidates. You really shouldn't complain about what candidates are offered up each election season if you're willing to play sheep and go along with it.

I have looked at third party candidates in the past... including, GASP, Perot... a 3rd party candidate would have to knock my socks off to get a vote, as the chances for a 3rd party candidate winning at this time are between slim and none (closer to none)

In 2000, Bush was only 4th in my scorecard when I was getting ready for the primary.. hell, I even had Forbes higher.. as for what he did line up on me with...
Foreign policy (remember this was pre-9/11 and ran on a platform of getting away from huge troop uses in non-war situations, etc... a policy with simple workings with allies and not being the world's money pot)
Charity (having a stance that charities, not government, should be the major player in 'help' and calling for incentives for charitable contribution)
Education (mainly on testing standards and some sort of change in how the fed had standards for education... though did not agree with tying it to any federal funding)
Experience (actually having experience as a chief executive as governor)
Taxation (cutting taxes... though not to a flat tax that I have supported to some time)
Strengthen military/national defense (remember I am a vet that lived thru the hell that Clinton put on military support)

He basically got a 5.5/20 with taxation being a half a point since he had cuts but not equalization of tax rate... if I am not mistaken, Gore scored a 3 with things like (believe it or not ) closing law loopholes, reducing federal workforce, and some of his stances on education...

hell, I would have to go back and look in my old computer files specifically... but if I am not mistaken, that is ~about how it came out

Ugh, it's useless to argue with stupid corporatists. You guys cannot see beyond your expected yet never forthcoming "trickle". What you ultimately want is to bankrupt this country and turn it into a true third world country. If you keep doing the bidding for the 1% that control 90% of everything, and no one stops you, that is exactly what you will get. Mark my words. Don't believe me? Many others can see the writing on the wall. This was in my Irish online news today.

Is America becoming a third world country? | New, Next, Now! | IrishCentral

Ugh... it's useless to argue with blinded people who only support selective equal treatment by government, as well as a governmental policy of wealth redistribution

I have looked at third party candidates in the past... including, GASP, Perot... a 3rd party candidate would have to knock my socks off to get a vote, as the chances for a 3rd party candidate winning at this time are between slim and none (closer to none)

In 2000, Bush was only 4th in my scorecard when I was getting ready for the primary.. hell, I even had Forbes higher.. as for what he did line up on me with...
Foreign policy (remember this was pre-9/11 and ran on a platform of getting away from huge troop uses in non-war situations, etc... a policy with simple workings with allies and not being the world's money pot)
Charity (having a stance that charities, not government, should be the major player in 'help' and calling for incentives for charitable contribution)
Education (mainly on testing standards and some sort of change in how the fed had standards for education... though did not agree with tying it to any federal funding)
Taxation (cutting taxes... though not to a flat tax that I have supported to some time)
Strengthen military/national defense (remember I am a vet that lived thru the hell that Clinton put on military support)

He basically got a 5.5/20 with taxation being a half a point since he had cuts but not equalization of tax rate... if I am not mistaken, Gore scored a 3 with things like (believe it or not ) closing law loopholes, reducing federal workforce, and some of his stances on education...

hell, I would have to go back and look in my old computer files specifically... but if I am not mistaken, that is ~about how it came out

You're missing the point. If you want real change, you stop voting for candidates because you think they have no shot but because you care about your principles in terms of what you believe.

So you basically voted for Bush for nothing really concrete. Sure, he made a good number of vague statements that he ended up totally flipping on, but nothing that makes you go "Wow, this guy has a plan."

Ugh... it's useless to argue with blinded people who only support selective equal treatment by government, as well as a governmental policy of wealth redistribution

Wealth redistribution has been going on since the 70's. To the top. Middle class wages have been stagnant for all of that time and are now in the decline, meanwhile the working poor are being pushed into full-on poverty. Meanwhile, the uber rich get richer and richer. I am not blinded to anything. I read your drivel, contemplate it, and nope - still just GOP talking points.

Tell us again how Obama's plan to improve the economy has worked out.

Wealth redistribution has been going on since the 70's. To the top. Middle class wages have been stagnant for all of that time and are now in the decline, meanwhile the working poor are being pushed into full-on poverty. Meanwhile, the uber rich get richer and richer. I am not blinded to anything. I read your drivel, contemplate it, and nope - still just GOP talking points.

Moron. Wealth and income redistribution have been going on since the 16th Amendment was passed, and really kicked into gear with the passage of Social Security.

You're missing the point. If you want real change, you stop voting for candidates because you think they have no shot but because you care about your principles in terms of what you believe.

So you basically voted for Bush for nothing really concrete. Sure, he made a good number of vague statements that he ended up totally flipping on, but nothing that makes you go "Wow, this guy has a plan."

Oh... if I had a 3rd party candidate that got a passing grade, I would seriously have to consider a vote in the general election.. especially since party candidates have been poor scorers... but the real reform SHOULD come in the primaries... unfortunately, the way it goes now a lot of the quality candidates are gone from the primaries before some states get to hear their voices heard.. us much as I like our setup for the general election and the electoral college to have states voices heard, I do not like the current primary setup

And as for Bush... it is all that EITHER candidate had... except with both we did have some actual decision history to go from with Bush as a governor and Gore as a congressman and senator from 76-92.. not all of which directly equated to the job as president....

Oh.. and one other thing I did have in Gore's favor was voting in support for the gulf war, which a lot of his DEM cohorts did not support

The CBO estimates assume that 75,000 troops will remain in both countries through 2017, including roughly 50,000 in Iraq. That is a "very speculative" projection, though it's not entirely unreasonable, said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst at the non-partisan Lexington Institute.

As of Sept. 30, the two wars have cost $604 billion, the CBO says. Adjusted for inflation, that is higher than the costs of the Korea and Vietnam conflicts, according to the Washington-based Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments.

The figures in the graph in the OP are as of 2010. Please learn to read for comprehension.

ahh yes the same specualtion used in the projected Obama defecit charts that are so popular among the right.

Wealth redistribution is not the same as having people keep more of what they earn... nice try though

You do not have the right to the property of others because you want it, whether you try and use the government for a vehicle for this or not

And no.. .I do not have GOP talking points.. If anything you can say I strongly align to conservatism on fiscal issues, crime and punishment, and national defense.. I am about middle of the road on social issues...

ahh yes the same specualtion used in the projected Obama defecit charts that are so popular among the right.

Can you tell the difference between 2010 and 2017?

Tell us again how Obama's plan to improve the economy has worked out.

When he took office, the economy was shrinking at an average rate of about 6%.
It is now growing, and has done so for four straight quarters.

When he took office, the economy was had witnessed an 8-year period with a 600,000 reduction in private sector jobs, and was shedding almost 800,000 jobs each month. It is now creating private sector jobs.

Forum List

Back