Deficit Spending and hyocrisy, a debate worth having.

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
"I am not worried about the deficit. It is big enough to take care of itself."
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States.

The debate over debt really turns on how much is "too much".
Between 1935 and 1981 the only significant increases in the deficit occurred during world war II and the Vietnam War.
Between 1981 and 1989 the Reagan Administration consistently ran annual deficits of $167 Billion and more than doubled the nations outstanding gross debt.
The Clinton Administration posted four straight years of surpluses and wiped out the annual deficit in 1998; But, the total national debt never decreased because the interest on the debt was highter than the surpluses.
Bush's tax cut in 2002 turned a $126 Billion annual surplus into a $158 Billion deficit and pushed the total federal debt over $6 Trillion.
These are facts, what follows is opinion.

The only way to resolve our current problem is to reduce spending, raise revenue and stop the hysterical emotion based bickering. The Congress needs to look at all ways to increase revenue and all programs to reduce spending. Spending must have a positive cost benefit., based on reason and not emotion.

Between 1935 and 1981 the only significant increases in the deficit occurred during world war II and the Vietnam War.
Between 1981 and 1989 the Reagan Administration consistently ran annual deficits of $167 Billion and more than doubled the nations outstanding gross debt.
The Clinton Administration posted four straight years of surpluses and wiped out the annual deficit in 1998; But, the total national debt never decreased because the interest on the debt was highter than the surpluses.
Bush's tax cut in 2002 turned a $126 Billion annual surplus into a $158 Billion deficit and pushed the total federal debt over $6 Trillion.

The only way to resolve our current problem is to reduce spending, raise revenue and stop the hysterical emotion based bickering. The Congress needs to look at all ways to increase revenue and all programs to reduce spending. Spending must have a positive cost benefit., based on reason and not emotion.

I agree with your opinion. AND, I would be willing to bet that 95% of the people on this board, regardless of party affililation would agree with you as well. The question that NO ONE has ever been able to answer is, HOW?

Deficits only matter when there is a Republican in office...wait, Clinton had "4 straight years of surpluses" Where was I when this happened?

• Banned
Deficits only matter when there is a Republican in office...wait, Clinton had "4 straight years of surpluses" Where was I when this happened?

Honestly Frank I don't know where you were at, but I'm pretty sure your head was up your ass wherever you were.
Are you really as stupid as your posts suggest?

"raise revenue"? how is that supposed to happen?

...things like more bank "fees" which are just passed on down to the people who have bank accounts....? that's just a sneaky way to tax people...I thought BO promised NO taxes for those making under $250k...:eusa_whistle:

We have to cut spending that does not lead to real progress for this country and raise taxes.

That is the ONLY way it can happen.

We have to cut spending that does not lead to real progress for this country and raise taxes.

That is the ONLY way it can happen.

raise taxes? so you're saying your boyO is gonna break his promise to the middle class? Or who is he going to target?

Honestly Frank I don't know where you were at, but I'm pretty sure your head was up your ass wherever you were.

"The Clinton Administration posted four straight years of surpluses and wiped out the annual deficit in 1998..."

Wrong in oh so many ways. Newt's congress controlled the budget, remember?

"raise revenue"? how is that supposed to happen?

...things like more bank "fees" which are just passed on down to the people who have bank accounts....? that's just a sneaky way to tax people...I thought BO promised NO taxes for those making under $250k...:eusa_whistle:

Bank fees are imposed by the private sector banks, as are credit card 'fees', interest rates and the extended warranty scam on products importanted from China, as well as other creative ways for business and industry to increase revenue providing less benefits to the customer.
These fees are one reason my wife and I use Credit Unions and pay off all credit card transactions each month in full, pass on the extended warranty and boycott Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

"The Clinton Administration posted four straight years of surpluses and wiped out the annual deficit in 1998..."

Nice spin, dishonest but a good effort. Bush had the same Republican Congress from 2001 until 2007. Duh.

Nice spin, dishonest but a good effort. Bush had the same Republican Congress from 2001 until 2007. Duh.

Bush had that scumbag Tom Delays Congress

Stop fucking lying for one post. Can you do that? Can you get through one single post without being a fucking liar?

No its not a 'debate worth having'.

The thread is attempt to absolve Barry because Dumbya spent also.

Washington is out of control, all barry talks about is MORE spending, MORE stimulous, more money wasted.

STOP spending.

SAVE money.

Why, yes. Yes he is.

So are you going to show me any one of Clinton's "4 years of surpluses"?

It's not rocket science to do what is right AND please a majority of hard working citizens in this country

Don't raise taxes for redistribution
Reduce the burden of taxation and simplify the tax code to get rid of loopholes, opportunities to cheat, etc
Prosecute tax cheats
Ensure equality in taxation per dollar, as you ensure equal protection under the law
Cut spending on things that government has not business spending on
Only increase spending and governmental grants and research after the debt is in control
Only allow running a deficit for national defense in war or in a military response to an attack

Forum List

Back