Deficit solutions

Discussion in 'Economy' started by MaggieMae, Oct 22, 2010.

1. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Listen to this group of retired lawmakers discuss their solutions based on their in-depth review of budgets and taxes. As O'Donnell points out at the start of this segment on his new program "The Last Word," to expect the current batch of elected officials to stop campaigning long enough to actually study and attempt to come to an agreement on this huge problem simply isn't going to happen.

Between this independent report and the solutions presented, and the appointed Deficit Reduction Commission's report due out in December, I suspect many of these solutions will indeed be implemented in one form or another. The top suggestions include cutting the defense budget by ending production of cold war weapons, increasing the Social Security retirement age to 70, repealing employer health-care tax exclusion and offer a refundable health care tax credit, and increasing the federal gasoline tax by $1 per gallon. (All explained more fully in either the following video or the link below the video; before anyone starts attacking those points, you should first see the explanations for how each will work.)

msnbc tv- msnbc.com

Balance Federal Budget - How to Balance the Federal Budget - Esquire

THE COMMON THREAD HERE IS THAT REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS NEED TO STOP ATTACKING EACH OTHER AND WORK ON SOLVING THE PROBLEM.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Retired lawmakers have the luxury of not dealing with the crucible of the electorate.

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Problem is, Maggie, if we stop attacking each other and actually look at what our politicians are doing, we would all be attacking them. And they really, really, REALLY don't want that. Hence they keep playing their stupid games, and we keep falling for it..... and so they continue to rob us all blind. And I say that about both parties.

4. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    Exactly. I hope you take time to look at this stuff. I especially hope that 535 people sitting up on Capital Hill after November 3rd also look at it.

5. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    I wish the video showed the first part, the intro to this segment, where O'Donnell says practically the same thing, complete with snippets of some of the childish yelling back and forth.

6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,136
    Yup.

Cut spending across the board.

Raise taxes.

And put the emphasis on spending cuts.

7. LiberalNut

LiberalNut Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I watched that last night and it was brilliant. Personally, I wouldn't keep the Bush tax cuts for the rich and thus i could afford to pay for more government services while balancing the budget but hey, I'm sure all the Dems felt the same way.

These policies will not be implemented. The Republicans, in reality, don't care about the American People. They work for less than 500 families and about 50-60 corporations.

8. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    outstanding, Maggie!

The US is unique in it's resistance to implementing rational pragmatic solutions to grave problems due to political struggles that take precedence over the actual purpose of legislators and administrators within the government.

There are always solutions to every problem if people share the will to accept them.

We don't share that will within the uppermost branches of power, and I am not sure if we share that will on Main street. We may end up reacting exactly as the Greeks and French are, rioting in the streets, if our government imposes austerity measures upon us.

Our nation was founded on the principle that serving your own self interest is antithetical to participation in democracy, both as citizens and as legislators. Democracy requires that you abandon self interest and advocate what is best for the nation as a whole.

We don't do that anymore. We don't sacrifice, we don't serve our nation, and our leaders serve themselves as well.

9. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    It's time we started feeling the pain of what WE ALL have either created or allowed by our complacency. Everyone is going to have to "man up" and take some hits, period.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Limit congress to meeting 2 months out of the year.