Deficit solutions

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Listen to this group of retired lawmakers discuss their solutions based on their in-depth review of budgets and taxes. As O'Donnell points out at the start of this segment on his new program "The Last Word," to expect the current batch of elected officials to stop campaigning long enough to actually study and attempt to come to an agreement on this huge problem simply isn't going to happen.

Between this independent report and the solutions presented, and the appointed Deficit Reduction Commission's report due out in December, I suspect many of these solutions will indeed be implemented in one form or another. The top suggestions include cutting the defense budget by ending production of cold war weapons, increasing the Social Security retirement age to 70, repealing employer health-care tax exclusion and offer a refundable health care tax credit, and increasing the federal gasoline tax by $1 per gallon. (All explained more fully in either the following video or the link below the video; before anyone starts attacking those points, you should first see the explanations for how each will work.)

msnbc tv- msnbc.com

Balance Federal Budget - How to Balance the Federal Budget - Esquire

THE COMMON THREAD HERE IS THAT REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS NEED TO STOP ATTACKING EACH OTHER AND WORK ON SOLVING THE PROBLEM.

Last edited:
Problem is, Maggie, if we stop attacking each other and actually look at what our politicians are doing, we would all be attacking them. And they really, really, REALLY don't want that. Hence they keep playing their stupid games, and we keep falling for it..... and so they continue to rob us all blind. And I say that about both parties.

Retired lawmakers have the luxury of not dealing with the crucible of the electorate.

Exactly. I hope you take time to look at this stuff. I especially hope that 535 people sitting up on Capital Hill after November 3rd also look at it.

Problem is, Maggie, if we stop attacking each other and actually look at what our politicians are doing, we would all be attacking them. And they really, really, REALLY don't want that. Hence they keep playing their stupid games, and we keep falling for it..... and so they continue to rob us all blind. And I say that about both parties.

I wish the video showed the first part, the intro to this segment, where O'Donnell says practically the same thing, complete with snippets of some of the childish yelling back and forth.

I watched that last night and it was brilliant. Personally, I wouldn't keep the Bush tax cuts for the rich and thus i could afford to pay for more government services while balancing the budget but hey, I'm sure all the Dems felt the same way.

These policies will not be implemented. The Republicans, in reality, don't care about the American People. They work for less than 500 families and about 50-60 corporations.

Listen to this group of retired lawmakers discuss their solutions based on their in-depth review of budgets and taxes. As O'Donnell points out at the start of this segment on his new program "The Last Word," to expect the current batch of elected officials to stop campaigning long enough to actually study and attempt to come to an agreement on this huge problem simply isn't going to happen.

Between this independent report and the solutions presented, and the appointed Deficit Reduction Commission's report due out in December, I suspect many of these solutions will indeed be implemented in one form or another. The top suggestions include cutting the defense budget by ending production of cold war weapons, increasing the Social Security retirement age to 70, repealing employer health-care tax exclusion and offer a refundable health care tax credit, and increasing the federal gasoline tax by $1 per gallon. (All explained more fully in either the following video or the link below the video; before anyone starts attacking those points, you should first see the explanations for how each will work.)

msnbc tv- msnbc.com

THE COMMON THREAD HERE IS THAT REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS NEED TO STOP ATTACKING EACH OTHER AND WORK ON SOLVING THE PROBLEM.

outstanding, Maggie!

The US is unique in it's resistance to implementing rational pragmatic solutions to grave problems due to political struggles that take precedence over the actual purpose of legislators and administrators within the government.

There are always solutions to every problem if people share the will to accept them.

We don't share that will within the uppermost branches of power, and I am not sure if we share that will on Main street. We may end up reacting exactly as the Greeks and French are, rioting in the streets, if our government imposes austerity measures upon us.

Our nation was founded on the principle that serving your own self interest is antithetical to participation in democracy, both as citizens and as legislators. Democracy requires that you abandon self interest and advocate what is best for the nation as a whole.

We don't do that anymore. We don't sacrifice, we don't serve our nation, and our leaders serve themselves as well.

msnbc tv- msnbc.com

outstanding, Maggie!

The US is unique in it's resistance to implementing rational pragmatic solutions to grave problems due to political struggles that take precedence over the actual purpose of legislators and administrators within the government.

There are always solutions to every problem if people share the will to accept them.

We don't share that will within the uppermost branches of power, and I am not sure if we share that will on Main street. We may end up reacting exactly as the Greeks and French are, rioting in the streets, if our government imposes austerity measures upon us.

Our nation was founded on the principle that serving your own self interest is antithetical to participation in democracy, both as citizens and as legislators. Democracy requires that you abandon self interest and advocate what is best for the nation as a whole.

We don't do that anymore. We don't sacrifice, we don't serve our nation, and our leaders serve themselves as well.

It's time we started feeling the pain of what WE ALL have either created or allowed by our complacency. Everyone is going to have to "man up" and take some hits, period.

We have one party, the GOP, that is quickly gaining a reputation as the most corrupt major political party in the exclusively English speaking world. Our other major party is vying for the rep as the most ineffectual and incompetent party in the same sphere. Without major insurgencies in both major parties and/or their replacement these or comparable changes will not happen.

Limit congress to meeting 2 months out of the year.

Well that should take care of resolutions naming new post offices or postage stamps and other happy horseshit they take way too much time on.

At this point in the Empire's history with 53% of the populace down on their collective knees sucking off the 47% that actually pay taxes into the Treasury, the Empire (old USA) is doomed.

Polytickers get elected by promising more NOT less.

More to the Welfare Lobby.

More to the MI Lobby.

More to the Big Ag Lobby.

Ad nauseum.

36-60 months before even the densest of Sheeple grasp that they have killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

Sad.....................but the Band plays on [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85gO8XLb4ug"]here[/ame] while the Ship of State goes under.

This administrations practice of barrow & spend is doing a great job of influencing the average American. Bankruptcies have doubled since Obama took office.

Bankruptcies
Year.....Total.......Non-Business...Business

Last edited:
There needs to be discussion about deficit "solutions"?

How about stop spending?

Anyone ever think of THAT one?

msnbc tv- msnbc.com

I saw this and read through it. There are some very good ideas. However one must be careful about implementing auserity measures during a fragile economic recovery.

This administrations practice of barrow & spend is doing a great job of influencing the average American. Bankruptcies have doubled since Obama took office.

Bankruptcies
Year.....Total.......Non-Business...Business

Why is this appropriate here? For one thing, THIS ADMINISTRATION wasn't the cause of all the foreclosures. Now buzz off and post your bullshit in the appropriate thread. But here, I'll give you something to carry with you on that topic:

Which administration was responsible for INCREASING federal subsidies for zero down payments on homes and lowering the formula for purchasing a home?

Facts About the American Dream Downpayment Act

There needs to be discussion about deficit "solutions"?

How about stop spending?

Anyone ever think of THAT one?

Ya think? There are around 300 million other people all with their own ideas on that.

However one must be careful about implementing auserity measures during a fragile economic recovery.

If I'm remembering the show properly, no austerity (spending cuts) happen for a few years. 2013 I think.

Raising taxes is not an option - we need to cut spending. Period. We have a SPENDING PROBLEM not an income problem.

Forum List

Back