Deficit Panel Recommends 75% Spending Cuts, 25% Tax Increases

Sure it is. I can document the erosion of our industrial base industry by industry as tariffs were lifted....

You don't know much history, do you?
:eusa_hand: let's start with your documentation first and see if it accounts for automation and waning demand for steel prior to the industy's collapse in the early 70s. then you could explain how tariffs would have stemmed issues of shallow demand and debased cost of steel following the over-production of the commodity in the years following WWII.

Last edited:
There are a host of items in there I think are fantastic - things I've advocated myself.

There are a host of items I find pathetic and stupid....

Combined, that probably means it's a damn good plan;)

this logic is not supportable. manufacture did not regress due to the removal of tariffs. i argue that this substantiates my position that it will not benefit from reimposition of such. american industries protected by quotas and tariffs to this date do not impress me. where's booming steel in the face of our tariff regime? where's our booming shipyards in light of quotas?

protectionist mythology, man... at the expense of consumers instead of to the benefit of domestic producers.

I never said manufacture regressed due to the removal of tariffs. I did not propose to protect industry with tariffs.

Are you stating steel died do to tariffs.

Quotas killed shipyards, is that what you are stating.

Free trade, we have free trade with South Korea, China, the foreign markets are open and free to our products. Not at all.

So nothing is wrong but a bit of tweaking of tax code.

If we want to save the current social security system and pay for the retirement of government employees we will need an economy that is much larger than todays. Obviously everything done in the past is a complete failure. Everything. We are flat ass broke.

We are so broke the current president is shattering records borrowing money and printing money.

We can fix this without growing the economy, by having a shortage of energy, by continuing with the loss of jobs to china and the rest of world.

So far, everything is a failure, the USA sucks. This is just the beginning. Republicans will not fix this. Not at all, Democrats will do everything that will worsen the situation. Banks, Wall Street, and the Corporations will do everything to fatten their pockets up so they survive.

We will have no choice. Its the end.

We are simply continuing the same policies with the same politicians who know nothing. People got their noses so deep in economic books they have lost sight of an economy is based simply on a man digging a trench with a shovel, the corporation that makes the shovel, etc., etc..

If we do not take the power to tax, collect fees, to constantly make changes, to print money at will, to borrow, than human nature will always become corrupted and take advantage of their power to make themselves filthy rich.
it is hard to know where to start with this.

first, the US is by leaps and bounds the greatest economic superpower on the planet. there is a degree which our policies are responsible for that, and tax is among them. the ideas that we need to scrap everything, that we are broke, that we suck etc are not supported. this gives me the urge to say 'go to south korea if you're on their nuts so much'. but instead, i'll say that one could learn more from seeing how things work than from how they don't. from seeing how our system works, i feel there are many elements worthy of saving and expanding to address issues. there are past policies like tariffs which have worked to create specific issues with our economy and with industry. this is what i feel deprecates them in terms of usefulness in an economy like our own.

next, yes, i think that there is a negative externality to quotas and tariffs and that the steel and shipping industries have suffered as an external result. while and because these protections made these industries more price-competitive within the market the protections controlled, the industries did not maintain competitiveness in their overall market. now, if you aren't tendering a ferry or an aircraft carrier, you are better off buying a norwegian or korean heavy work ship. the fact that these industries have gone to shit stateside is indicated by lil' norway's shipping industry outshining our own. they subsidize industry, actually helping it out directly instead of tying the hands of local consumers to protect industry bosses from an onus to invest in their businesses. we have more coastline, we're collocated to the caribbean, we have a larger workforce, more steel, cheaper energy, lower wages.. you name it. royal caribbean will commission a liner out of norway and sail it to miami to be christened.

our marketshare in each of steel and shipping has shrunken as a result of tariffs and quotas and the industry has shrunken by extension.

What you write is interesting, I appreciate it.

I scratch my head, I will have to re-read what I wrote to figure out how I expressed admiration for the South Korean economy.

I am discouraged and afraid at the turn or country has taken, starting in the late 1970's, culprits, Democrats and Republicans.

I have been to some foreign countries, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Spain, and England (order according to time spent in each). Thus far I have no desire to leave the USA for anywhere else. I am here until the end.

The USA never should of reached this point. Maybe I have been in California to long, maybe its best to start over somewhere else in the USA and watch the collapse of California from across the border.

The one good thing in the USA is California will lead the way, California will collapse first opening the eyes to the rest of the nation.

The California government owes well over a 100,000,000,000.00 dollars, some sources say the total is around 2 trillion dollars. So if I am right we will see it happen in California first.

Lets see if Obama is the first president to lose a state.

Tariffs lead to disaster, yet the third worlds largest economy, Brazil has tariffs and taxes on imports. So, if your right, sometime we will see that disaster in Brazil, not saying your wrong for I know that countries can change overnight.

Political commissions, the politicians have never spent less, never, they will never reduce spending. Its political double speak.

One tax, 10%, spend a buck, get taxed on a buck

The problem with the simplicity of that is that how many times does that buck get passed through different hands, and should it be taxed each time? It's the same dollar, after all, and somebody's profit every step of the way. That's what a value added tax is all about. (A totally unworkable system, loaded with the potential for fraud.)

The sales tax already exists, just as you state, today a dollar is taxed when its made, each dollar I make is taxed 7.5% that the company pays to social security, I pay the other 7.5%,

From then on, whats left is taxed the same each time it changes hand, that tax is paid on the same dollar over and over and over.

So your fear is real and is happening today. What I propose makes it very clear to all how much we are taxed. That information should be simple and clear, as in one simple tax when a buck is spent.

How about the CRV, Californian Redemption Value, is that a fee, a tax, or money paid to a consumer.

Tax is a bad word, lets call it a fee, a fee is now known as the same as a tax, let call it a value, I am taxed on water I buy at 7/11 and its called a "Value".

The only problem in the USA is the purposely convoluted collection (stealing) of money by the greedy in power.

So what happens if all along the route, that 10% is made up by the vendor by increasing the price charged to the next in line? Now snowball that amount, and soon no one would be able to afford the end product on the shelf. Catch-22.

Nice post, sounds smart, except the basis of our economy is manufacturing. Our years as the worlds leader in manufacturing and heavy industry is what built up such great wealth its still being spent today.

Now without that base in our economy we are collapsing.

Some people only aspire to a simple manufacturing job, without those jobs these people will always be unemployed.

As far as Brazil goes they strive to be like the USA.

China, I will work with the Chinese in two weeks. Its fun to pick their brains but they live in a vacuum, they really dont know much about whats happening in their own country.

So why is it that certain political factions will fight tooth and nail any attempt at advancing the one manufacturing discipline where we already KNOW we can excel at if only the startup funding was made available? Energy alternatives. The popup private sector businesses that would be derived from an all-out effort to L.E.A.D would be as huge as the Apollo Project of the 60's and continuing to this day. But noooooooo, drill baby drill.

I fight it because its a transfer of wealth mandated by government rules, regulations, and laws.

Its called Marxism. I pay higher mandated electric bills, 300-500$ a month, this will go higher do to Energy Alternatives, all energy alternatives use more energy than the what you suppose they will replace. Energy alternatives are 100% dependent on petroleum. In fact we must use much more petroleum to build these monsters of ideas.

We must drill to supply the oil needed to make the cement to make the worlds largest wind farm that will produce less electricity than the smallest fossil fuel plant, drill baby drill, just use all the oil, all of it, to cover the earth with windmills, not only the surface but we will drill and drill and put wind turbines in space.

The largest meaning physically large, energy wise alternatives are proven failures, the weakest, smallest forms of energy.

Alternative energy, Marxism, inadvertent or a plan.

So the Apollo Project was Marxism? The upstart, by the government, cost billions. And the rewards to the private sector have and continue to be enormous.

Sorry, but you lost me with that silly presumption so there's no point in discussing oil versus all others, either.

What you write is interesting, I appreciate it.

I scratch my head, I will have to re-read what I wrote to figure out how I expressed admiration for the South Korean economy.
that was a bit facetious, but it's based in your real negative outlook and appraisal of the US crossed with your affinity for these mercantile nation's policy.
The California government owes well over a 100,000,000,000.00 dollars, some sources say the total is around 2 trillion dollars. So if I am right we will see it happen in California first.

Lets see if Obama is the first president to lose a state.
ouch. inevitable bailout part II. :doubt:

Forum List

Back