Defense Spending?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
How can we address the deficit and debt if 36-54% of the budget is off the table for cuts?

pieFY09.gif

source

You really mean to tell me there's no waste there?

According to "conservatives", defense spending cuts should not be on the table. Just ask their mouthpiece, Caribou Barbie.

• Banned
I MIGHT be willing to support cutting defense spending that aint directly tied to pay and combat operations, or R&D....

everything is R&D

for crap we'll never use

the best way to get government money to develop cyanide-laced toiletpaper or a new drug is to add 'for military applications' to the end of any application describing anything at all.

Cut the budget and let them decide what's important enough to finance. Economic collapse will end this country just as effectually as military defeat. If you care about national security stop borrowing money from Iran and pursue a sustainable budget

I MIGHT be willing to support cutting defense spending that aint directly tied to pay and combat operations, or R&D....

everything is R&D

for crap we'll never use

the best way to get government money to develop cyanide-laced toiletpaper or a new drug is to add 'for military applications' to the end of any application describing anything at all.

Cut the budget and let them decide what's important enough to finance. Economic collapse will end this country just as effectually as military defeat. If you care about national security stop borrowing money from Iran and pursue a sustainable budget

Perhaps, when I said R&D I really had (new supercarriers, fighters, tanks, etc) in mind, that IS necessary, we can't fall behind the rest of the world, namely China.

everything is R&D

for crap we'll never use

Perhaps, when I said R&D I really had (new supercarriers, fighters, tanks, etc) in mind, that IS necessary, we can't fall behind the rest of the world, namely China.

Here's a question...just how many Supercarriers do we need to defend ourselves?

everything is R&D

for crap we'll never use

Here's an answer, MORE THAN CHINA.

everything is R&D

for crap we'll never use

We're a long way from being surpassed by China or anyone else.

World Military Spending ? Global Issues

everything is R&D

for crap we'll never use

We're a long way from being surpassed by China or anyone else.

World Military Spending ? Global Issues

It needs to stay that way, not saying we can't find some stuff in the D.B. to cut, but yea....

I have 4 times now posted an explanation of Gates has reduced spending and cut future prgms to the tune of 250 billion over the next 4 years.

Is there more? sure, when we start bring the Afghan. troops back next summer the budget for that expedition will be reduced and we can look again at the force structure, I have no issue with that.

:eusa_eh:

Yes... because anyone who knows anything about military strategy knows that we take turns shooting eachother and whoever has the most men and craft wins :cuckoo:

We already have more than China. Can we kill all R&D and future orders for Supercarriers, now?

Hmmmm....nope. Find stuff to cut fine, but we have to keep modernizing our military, other major powers modernize with theirs, with whatever budgets they have.

So no.

What is an aircraft carrier? It is nothing more than a floating airstrip. How much modernizing do you need to float asphalt?

We already have more than China. Can we kill all R&D and future orders for Supercarriers, now?

Hmmmm....nope. Find stuff to cut fine, but we have to keep modernizing our military, other major powers modernize with theirs, with whatever budgets they have.

So no.

What is an aircraft carrier? It is nothing more than a floating airstrip. How much modernizing do you need to float asphalt?

I saw we just stick to submarines and ICBMs...

aircraft carriers are just giant targets

If you truly truly want to cut the budget

Offer commisions

hire people who get paid a cut of what they save us, and nothing more.

I was in the Navy, I saw the prices of some of the crap we were "required" to have. My most favorite pos tool was the "Bronze screwdriver" It was ~$300, and we "needed" it to work on ONE piece of gear b/c it didn't spark. We never used it b/c it bent or chipped when used on steel screws. We replaced this tool with a $10 dollar screw driver and put a pennies worth of shrink wrap on it.

Shut foriegn bases. The EU can protect themselves from Russia from now on. Japan is an ally, etc, etc...

What do we do with the extra people? find work for them, let them retire or discharge on thier own, and slow down/stop recruting until there is a need for more.

Forum List

Back